Chris king tamper

Eric Christoffersen

Feb 20, 2020, 2:13:29 PM2/20/20
to Brewtus
I know tampers are pretty personal but here’s what I have. I paid full retail direct from Chris King after handling one at a bicycle demo day. Took me a few months to decide to do it and no regrets. Went with the 58.4 convex face.

The shaft is covered in the tiniest spiral of machining grooves, the tamper face is made from the same stainless that they make their bearings from. If you’ve ever worked with their hubs you know what I mean about the quality. I think there is no finer machining.

Owned it more than a year now and every use I’m reminded to go get muddy with my mtb.

CB492DDE-7A64-4875-B4CE-FA9164DB03DE.jpeg

Ira

Feb 20, 2020, 2:23:32 PM2/20/20
to Eric Christoffersen
Hello Eric,

> I know tampers are pretty personal but here’s what I have. I paid
> full retail direct from Chris King after handling one at a bicycle
> demo day. Took me a few months to decide to do it and no regrets. Went with the 58.4 convex face.

It's beautiful. My two favorites are the Barista Hustle because it's
really light and fits perfect and a Force Tamper because no matter
what I do, when I use that, I get perfect pours. I bought it used so
the financial hit was no so bad, but if I need a second tamper it
will be another one of those. It's special powers are automatic
leveling and hitting the puck like a Starret automatic center punch.

-- Ira

Eric Christoffersen

Feb 20, 2020, 6:38:24 PM2/20/20
to Brewtus
That’s a wild claim for a tamper... mine sure sees bad pours. But don’t you also happen to have a monolith grinder?

Herman Dickens

Feb 20, 2020, 6:46:21 PM2/20/20
to bre...@googlegroups.com
I have a monolith flat and conical. They are wonderful. I also have an Auto tamp but have been using one of the tampers that Denis sold me. I just pulled the autotamp out and started using it again. It really helps a lot consistency wise. Not even sure if they make them any more.

Herman

On Thu, Feb 20, 2020 at 6:38 PM Eric Christoffersen <zak...@gmail.com> wrote:
That’s a wild claim for a tamper... mine sure sees bad pours. But don’t you also happen to have a monolith grinder?

Eric Christoffersen

Feb 21, 2020, 8:41:58 AM2/21/20
to Brewtus
Apologies for mixing you two up.

Im really surprised to hear such high recommendation for the autotamp. IWhen they were sold  thought it was a joke! Im still skeptical that 30 or 60 pound tamp makes any difference compared to the 550 of force to the puck when brewing. My wife gets great pulls with a dainty 5 pound tamp.

So many things i feel are more important, like weighing the grinds. Would be awesome if an autotamp really was such an easy secret, id love to be shown wrong.

On Thursday, February 20, 2020 at 3:46:21 PM UTC-8, Herman Dickens wrote:
I have a monolith flat and conical. They are wonderful. I also have an Auto tamp but have been using one of the tampers that Denis sold me. I just pulled the autotamp out and started using it again. It really helps a lot consistency wise. Not even sure if they make them any more.

Herman

On Thu, Feb 20, 2020 at 6:38 PM Eric Christoffersen <zak...@gmail.com> wrote:
That’s a wild claim for a tamper... mine sure sees bad pours. But don’t you also happen to have a monolith grinder?

Herman Dickens

Feb 21, 2020, 10:57:40 AM2/21/20
to bre...@googlegroups.com
I think he has a Monolith too.
I tore my rotator cuff and that's the reason I pulled the Autotamp back out. I'm not sure how much difference it makes overall but it does help a lot with consistency. I've noticed my pull times are more consistent so I'm thinking since the autotamp is the only change I've made that it's what caused the pull times to be closer.
I still have my Brewtus II but I took it to a summer home. I have a GS3 now that I use every day. I love the GS3 but I think if the Brewtus ever breaks to the point that I can't repair it I'll probably get a Londinium.
The Brewt still makes great espresso and I got it the month the II's came out in 2005. I end up replacing the o-ring in the vacuum breaker in it and the GS3 once a year so it's a wash as far as that maintenance item. I got the Gs3 when the new paddle style came out in late 2016 and that o-ring is the only part I've had to replace. The Brewtus has had the controller replaced three times, the last was to change to a pid. I'm not sure how many pressurestats I've replaced but I'm guessing at least a half dozen probably more. Other than that it's been very reliable.
The Monoliths make a lot more difference than the machines. Since you can get a Monolith and a Brewtus, or Londinium, for less than a GS3 I'd suggest getting the Monolith first and then making a decision on an espresso machine. I think with your Brewtus and a Monolith you will be very satisfied and your espresso would be on par with, or better than, 98% of the rest of the world.

Herman

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/brewtus/0eda0c99-f1cc-4e47-ab8a-bd9c0167f093%40googlegroups.com.

Eric Christoffersen

Mar 2, 2020, 9:44:31 PM3/2/20
to Brewtus
Well guys... I won some sort of payment lottery this weekend. Is all your fault I’ve got a new grinder in the way. Sometime in July?

Cheers,
Eric

Herman Dickens

Mar 2, 2020, 9:52:44 PM3/2/20
to bre...@googlegroups.com
Congratulations! These forums can get expensive :)

Herman

Ira

Mar 5, 2020, 12:50:32 PM3/5/20
to Eric Christoffersen
Hello Eric,

> Well guys... I won some sort of payment lottery this weekend. Is
> all your fault I’ve got a new grinder in the way. Sometime in July?

You won't be sorry! I'e had a flat since the first buy, i.e., back
when I watched the quantity available slowly drop for 4 or 5 weeks
till it got to 5 available before I ordered mine. The design is
improved a bit now, but the grinders as good as it gets. One less
thing to blame when there is a problem with your shots.

Which one did you get?

-- Ira

Eric Christoffersen

Mar 6, 2020, 11:10:51 PM3/6/20
to Brewtus
In for a penny, in for a pound.

Ira

Mar 7, 2020, 2:12:10 AM3/7/20
to Eric Christoffersen
Hello Eric,

> In for a penny, in for a pound.

A Max, nice! I tried last time and missed, forgot to try this time.

-- Ira

Herman

Mar 7, 2020, 3:40:20 AM3/7/20
to bre...@googlegroups.com
The autotamp just removes a variable. It's not a game changer for sure.

Eric Christoffersen

Aug 15, 2020, 7:30:04 PM8/15/20
to Brewtus
Hey guys. All your fault the max grinder arrived. Cant believe what a difference it made over the robur, coffee is totally different now. Night and day upgrade. Bitterness gone, shots are crazy sweet.

Anyone thinking of an upgrade the kafatek grinders are a no brainer. In my opinion a Different machine (gs3, slayer) is relatively insignificant difference. Brewtus is pretty good!

H D

Aug 15, 2020, 9:04:01 PM8/15/20
to Brewtus
I have a flat and a conical and they are amazing! Makes more difference than the espresso machine for sure.

Brian

Aug 15, 2020, 9:44:13 PM8/15/20
to Brewtus
Eric,

Don’t tell me that! I was hoping to avoid upgradeitus for a while... congrats! Enjoy the buzz

Eric Christoffersen

Aug 17, 2020, 2:39:06 PM8/17/20
to Brewtus
Upgrade-itis: Oh yeah. Sorry but Difference is really amazing. I was honestly expecting a small difference like when i borrowed my friends m3.

Coffee is night and day different, very sweet, no bitterness and about a 100x more intensity. If anything sometimes too intense.

Im mostly brewing so from vivace: malabar, ekende and this week an ethiopian. Not light roasts.

Really makes me appreciate the brewtus. I knew it was good when i got it but didnt expect id be a enthusiast for this long, or that it would last so long. For perspective when i got the machine in 2005 apple was switching from motorola to intel. Dark ages, and yet i can still buy brewtus parts everywhere. Wll did a great thing bringing it to market.

The big boss lady who has a willfully casual espresso workflow likes that the new grinder is smaller but initially didnt like that she had to weigh the beans, and that grinding now takes 10 seconds instead of robur’s 2. No complaints after the first two days. Helped that i got a better scale from amazon, a $13 unit thats accurate to 0.01g.

Herman Dickens

Aug 17, 2020, 6:03:13 PM8/17/20
to bre...@googlegroups.com
I also got mine in 2005. I got a Gs3 in 2015 I think, whenever the new conical valve was released, in December just like the Brewt. I love the Gs3 but there's not enough difference in the espresso to buy it over the Brewtus. For the money the brewtus is one heck of a good espresso machine. It really shines with the right grinder.

Herman

TWG

Aug 17, 2020, 6:37:59 PM8/17/20
to Brewtus
Which grinder?

Craig Stout

Aug 18, 2020, 11:27:30 AM8/18/20
to bre...@googlegroups.com
Lots of good grinders out there. I have a mazzer mini, but also have a HG One grinder. That grinder is awesome, but takes up waaaayy to much counter space for my chef wife, so back to the mazzer it is. But, the grind with the HG one, is sublime................