Help me troubleshoot brew pressure

einn pub

Oct 16, 2022, 9:50:43 PM10/16/22
to Brewtus
Hi,

I dont think my expobar doesnt reach 9 bars. Based on what Ive watched on wholelattelove, putting a blind portafilter should enable you to read 9 bars.

whats happening is water expels at the bottom tube into the tray and the bar pressure remains very low. It didnt use to be this way. I'm hoping its just an adjustment and not a defect.

heres a video of it with a blind portafilter on.

any help would be appreciated

erw

Jonathan Stroum

Oct 16, 2022, 10:16:40 PM10/16/22
to bre...@googlegroups.com

Hi erw,

It’s time to replace the valves in your brew head.  Water shouldn’t come out of the bottom of the E61 until you’ve finished brewing a shot.

Here’s a list of what you’ll need:

NSF Approved Lubricant × 1

E61 Style Complete Preinfusion Valve - Triangular Pin × 1

E61 Style Complete Exhaust Valve - Triangular Pin × 1

  E61 Brew Valve - New Version - Complete × 1

There’s lots of articles on replacing these valves on an E61, should be easy to find appropriate instructions.  I did this about 6 months ago on my Brewtus 2, it wasn’t difficult and solved the same leaking issue you’re having.

Ask any questions, happy to help.

JP

image001.png

Jonathan Stroum

Oct 16, 2022, 10:28:32 PM10/16/22
to bre...@googlegroups.com

Here’s a good video on replacing the three valves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELIwD40tsrs

image001.png

einn pub

Oct 17, 2022, 1:04:20 AM10/17/22
to Brewtus
wow thanks! for all the information guys

einn pub

Oct 17, 2022, 1:11:28 AM10/17/22
to Brewtus
question. is it possible that it is an installation issue? this happened after I had it serviced for an issue... before the service the lever was very very tight... i had it serviced then it came back nice and loose but the water started to drip

triplereef

Oct 17, 2022, 3:04:09 AM10/17/22
to bre...@googlegroups.com
If the springs get swapped around in the grouphead the o-rings won't seat completely and will cause that. Two of them are pretty similar in size but not the same.

I'd also check the OPV which can be adjusted...possible it was tuned in the shop.

einn pub

Oct 18, 2022, 8:09:19 AM10/18/22
to Brewtus
ive managed to dismantle the valves. heres how it looks... are these no good anymore? and how can I tell which springs go with what in case the springs were incorrectly installed.. ive laid them out in the order i took them out.. thanks again

IMG_20221018_194953.jpgIMG_20221018_194947.jpg

Jonathan Stroum

Oct 18, 2022, 11:12:36 AM10/18/22
to bre...@googlegroups.com

Enough wear to cause a leak.  Replace all three.  As for the springs, I don’t know if the two longer springs are different.  They have the same number of winds and look to be the same gauge.

JP

Oct 27, 2022, 1:01:16 PM10/27/22
to Brewtus
Check and see if the black rubber is still slightly flexible. Its the spring pressing the rubber that seals the brew head until you drop the lever. Yours don't look totally cooked to me.

The fact that lever is really light... it sounds like it might have been reassembled incorrectly. Check this picture, you can see the short one goes at bottom, long thin one goes at top and the final long thick one goes in the middle. Gotta match the springs also... long->long, short->short.

brew group exploded view.png