vibration pump/OPV for brewtus III

Johnty Wang

Nov 19, 2019, 9:15:07 PM11/19/19
to Brewtus
Greetings! New(ish) owner of a used Brewtus III here. I think I'm facing the OPV/pump issue that others have experienced: basically with the blind basket it can reach and hold pressure at 10 bars, but when actually brewing a shot, sometimes I the pressure drops from 10 bars to around 6, and then back and forth again throughout the shot.

I see that WLL has the pump/OPV/Deairator available. Can someone confirm that it's the same one for the III? Also, given the above symptoms, it's likely either the pump, OPV, or both that needs replacement, correct?

Thanks!

jt123

Nov 20, 2019, 10:24:38 AM11/20/19
to Brewtus
minor update: I just did the pump check, and with the blind disc in holding pressure, I'm only getting a very slow drip from the return tube back to the water tank - not the 1 oz-ish in 12 seconds. This most likely suggests the pump is on its way out right?

The other difference I can see is my OPV is set to about 12 bar, so could lowering it cause it to behave "closer" to normal behaviour?

Whats unfortunate is I see during previous servicing, the OPV wasn't placed in a way where the set screw is adjustable from the front of the machine through the hole. So I may have to open it up to experiment further.

Jonathan Stroum

Nov 20, 2019, 4:13:12 PM11/20/19
to bre...@googlegroups.com

12 bar is too high and yes, you may indeed see a change in behavior if you lower it to between 9 and 10.  Opening the machine to gain access to the OPV is simple, 5 cover screws.  And it should be easy to reposition the OPV to make the adjustment screw available through the hole in the chassis.

Good luck!

jt123

Nov 20, 2019, 10:47:05 PM11/20/19
to Brewtus
amazing - thanks! just adjusted the OPV to about 10 bar when blind, and sure enough, the drain back into the tank is now flowing at a much higher rate, pretty close to the recommended amount! was a bit late to pull shots tonight, but will try tomorrow to see if it's any different! i'm also looking forward to the lower brewing pressure and hopefully more forgiving shots for this relative newbie :)

now that i've opened it up, I can also see how if i do need to replace anything, it should be relatively trivial.

bonner

Nov 27, 2019, 9:20:34 AM11/27/19
to bre...@googlegroups.com

I think I am in the correct thread for this question.  As my pressure  is 13 bar, how do I know if the OPV needs replacement or only adjustment?  Would adjustment fail if defective?

Thanks

Beeg

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/brewtus/48998d94-cdac-4d5a-9fdd-6e5ce689b5d5%40googlegroups.com.

jt123

Nov 27, 2019, 9:45:35 AM11/27/19
to Brewtus
probably only adjustment unless it doesn't work. i had to turn it down quite a bit to get it to around 10-11bar. and since then the behaviour of the machine is a lot better!

if my understanding of the theory is correct, IF you had the right coffee dose/grind/tamp, you should be seeing about 9 bars during extraction since the puck would offer the least amount of resistance compared to the OPV. however if the puck offers more, then you will see it going all the way as high as what the OPV is set to. at least here is where you can see the adjustment is incorrect. of course the blind backflushing basket will be able to tell you the same thing.

but if you really had to replace the OPV, its not a huge job either. (i may just do the pump at the same time, or at least purchase the assembly so you have the pump on hand in case replacing the OPV by itself doesn't solve your problems)

Herman Dickens

Nov 27, 2019, 10:21:56 AM11/27/19
to bre...@googlegroups.com
If it's holding 13 it's not defective.

Herman

bonner

Nov 27, 2019, 10:53:51 AM11/27/19
to bre...@googlegroups.com

Thank you Herman

I have watched the videos on Whole Latte Love on pressure adjustment of the pressurestat and OPV.  When would you choose to adjust the pressurestat rather than the OPV to lower pressure?

Thanks again

Herman Dickens

Nov 27, 2019, 11:11:09 AM11/27/19
to bre...@googlegroups.com
2 entirely different things. You adjust the pressurestat for steam pressure.

Herman

bonner

Nov 27, 2019, 11:21:41 AM11/27/19
to bre...@googlegroups.com