Not experiencing tiredness/fatigue after training Dual n back ?

unknown player

Nov 23, 2021, 8:20:20 PM11/23/21
to Dual N-Back, Brain Training & Intelligence
Hello, I heard that some people experience tiredness/fatigue after about a 20 minute training using the dual n back software, but how come I never experience fatigue? I trained for 45 minutes and I felt just fine, I used the intuitive approach if that matters. Thanks !!

ФІ-14 Богдан Мишинкин

Nov 24, 2021, 3:45:01 AM11/24/21
to brain-t...@googlegroups.com
You have to strain. If you not, your n back level too small for you.

On mer. 24 nov. 2021 à 03:20 unknown player <kisel...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello, I heard that some people experience tiredness/fatigue after about a 20 minute training using the dual n back software, but how come I never experience fatigue? I trained for 45 minutes and I felt just fine, I used the intuitive approach if that matters. Thanks !!

wanamitsa

Nov 24, 2021, 4:49:48 AM11/24/21
to brain-t...@googlegroups.com
Unknown when you feel any improvement post in exactly wat or how complex things are getting better
or someone who has done this training when did you see any improvements on which N back level specifcally

dot

Nov 25, 2021, 2:52:44 PM11/25/21
to Dual N-Back, Brain Training & Intelligence
i don't recall ever experiencing any kind of mental tiredness or fatigue, but i have experienced (and still experience) benefits from DNB. i wouldn't say it's necessarily a bad thing that you aren't experiencing it. i think the key is that whatever you're doing must feel like it is genuinely difficult, whatever that feeling is like for you. i can certainly say that DNB is one of the most mentally demanding things that i do.

with regards to what N-level i started seeing improvements, i'm not quite sure, but i doubt that it would be useful information anyways. i suspect people will have very different answers to that. if i had to guess, i'd say i noticed some small improvements at around D6B. however, i noticed substantial improvements after i overcame my plateau at D7B, and finally hit D8B.

by "improvements" i'm mostly talking about memory. for one, i noticed that it became easier to mentally "chunk" information and store large amounts of information in my mind. that is sort of what i expected to happen. but there was one thing that genuinely surprised me, which is that i started to find it a lot easier to mentally "rewind time" and recover details about things that happened in the past. overall short term memory and attention to detail improved, there's a lot more but it's a little hard to explain. feel free to ask me anything you want though.

William

Dec 13, 2021, 2:09:42 AM12/13/21
to Dual N-Back, Brain Training & Intelligence
@dot

How do you overcome plateaus? I've been stuck at 5-back for a while now.

david

Dec 16, 2021, 3:32:23 PM12/16/21
to Dual N-Back, Brain Training & Intelligence
(i changed my display name)

how long is "a while"? i think some amount of stagnation is normal at each level.

before i say anything else, you should know that i have my own method of training that might differ from what you've seen others discuss here. i don't like either of the popular formulas (20+N^2 or 20+N) because they get a bit absurd at higher levels in my opinion, so i use my own method of determining set length. by "set", i mean a group of trials. for example, i currently train D10B with 30 trials per set. currently, my goal with any N level is to get 80% on a set of length 4N trials.

i think you might want to try experimenting with the configuration of your sets.

so how long are your sets? you can try decreasing the set length, and increasing it once you master the previous length. for example, i achieved 90% on D9B with 36 trials, and that's when I moved up to D10B.  when i first started with D10B, i only used 20 trials per set. i got 100% on that, so now i'm using 30 trials per set. once i get at least 90%, i'll move to 40 trials per set. i did the same thing when i reached P5B. i hit 80% on P4B with 16 trials, so i moved up.

lastly, i don't imagine that the same thing will help two different people break through plateaus. at the end of the day,  i think your best bet is to experiment and make changes to your training routine, and find out what works for you. for example:

- if you train in the morning, try doing it at night (and vice versa)
- try increasing/decreasing your session length
- revisit the level below, then come back to D5B once you hit 80% on D4B again
- try taking a break from training altogether
- etc

hope that makes sense?