Polysillogism

Fredo Corleone

Sep 1, 2021, 5:50:57 PM9/1/21
to Dual N-Back, Brain Training & Intelligence
Finally completed writing the algo for polysillogism.

I need you guys for some testing:

1. No A is B
Some A is C
Some C is not B
Some C is E
All E is B

2. No B is A
All A is C
Some C is not B
All C is E
Some E is not B

3. All B is A
Some C is not A
Some C is not B
All C is E
Some E is not B

4. Some A is not B
All A is C
Some C is not B
All C is E
Some E is not B
Some F is E
Some F is B

5. Some A is B
All A is C
Some C is B
All C is E
Some E is B
Some F is not E
Some F is not B

6. No B is A
All C is A
No C is B
Some E is C
Some E is not B
All E is F
Some F is not B

7. No B is A
All C is A
No C is B
All E is C
No E is B
All E is F
Some F is not B
All F is G
Some G is not B

8. No A is B
Some C is A
Some C is not B
All C is E
Some E is not B
All E is F
Some F is not B
All F is G
Some G is not B

9. All B is A
No C is A
Some C is not B
All C is E
Some E is not B
All E is F
Some F is not B
All F is G
Some G is not B

If you intend to participate please answer to all 9 syllogism.
If something is not working it should be evident, I'm pretty tired and I couldn't confirm at the moment.

Let me know.
Thanks

itrn...@gmail.com

Sep 2, 2021, 12:24:39 AM9/2/21
to Dual N-Back, Brain Training & Intelligence
Where are the questions? Or do we check for the consistency of the statements?

itrn...@gmail.com

Sep 2, 2021, 12:29:44 AM9/2/21
to Dual N-Back, Brain Training & Intelligence
Also, how did you structure the data? Very curious because it was a super laborious process for me to structure data and have each unique type of statement manipulate the data differently, and how I did it used so much RAM that it couldn't make more than 8 statements(and 8 sets total) without crashing.

Fredo Corleone

Sep 2, 2021, 2:35:26 AM9/2/21
to Dual N-Back, Brain Training & Intelligence
I didn't really structure any data, I'm just making polysillogism by the definition of them "a sequence of syllogisms such that the conclusion of each syllogism, together with the next proposition, is a premise for the next, and so on".
There are certain rules, one is that for the polysillogism to make any sense the major premise of the next one has to be of the same quantifier of the conclusion of the previous one.

To make things more interesting I have to complete the algo with the fact that the probability of picking an incorrect syllogism in any point of the chain is distributed exponentially over the length of the syllogism. This is because there are A LOT more invalid syllogisms than valid ones and to pick invalid ones with even probability at any step of the chain would make extremely difficult to pick polysillogisms that do not die (in meaning) prematurely.

All BLOW is KEN
All BLOW is NIGHT
Some NIGHT is KEN
All NIGHT is FRAME
Some FRAME is KEN
All FRAME is ROPE
Some ROPE is KEN
All ROPE is AMEN
Some AMEN is KEN
All AMEN is LINE
Some LINE is KEN
All LINE is SHAME
Some SHAME is KEN
All SHAME is CORE
Some CORE is KEN
All CORE is LIGHT
Some LIGHT is KEN
All LIGHT is SLAP
Some SLAP is KEN
All SLAP is BYTE
Some BYTE is KEN
All BYTE is WINE
Some WINE is KEN
All WINE is SIGN
Some SIGN is KEN
All SIGN is KITE
Some KITE is KEN
All KITE is HOPE
Some HOPE is KEN
All HOPE is SLOPE
Some SLOPE is KEN
All SLOPE is SOAP
Some SOAP is KEN
All SOAP is FLOOR
Some FLOOR is KEN
All FLOOR is PINE
Some PINE is KEN
All PINE is BLAME
Some BLAME is KEN
All BLAME is BOW
Some BOW is KEN
All BOW is MEN
Some MEN is KEN
All MEN is CRAP
Some CRAP is KEN
All CRAP is DOOR
Some DOOR is KEN

You see that KEN is alway there at the end. The thing is that you either use the subject or the predicate of the conclusion before as the middle-term or predicate of the major premise that follows.
At the moment for easy of comprehension I'm always working with predicates, but I could substitute the middle-term and that trail of KENs would disappear.

Fredo Corleone

Sep 2, 2021, 12:28:43 PM9/2/21
to Dual N-Back, Brain Training & Intelligence
I've set up this playground here for you to test the polysillogism algorithm.

https://codepen.io/eternalsunshineofspotlessmind/full/powbjdZ

Please tell me if there's anything wrong!

Aldona Odojewska

Sep 2, 2021, 4:25:10 PM9/2/21
to brain-t...@googlegroups.com
Fredo, I think there'a mistake in your games, both that and previous (skinskywalker). I'm now talking about 2-premise syllogisms.

1. AaB & AaC does not imply BiC.
2. CeA & AaB does not imply BoC.

Premises can be true while conclusion false. I suppose but I could be wrong that it's because the program assumes that if X is a subset of Y, then X must not be empty.

Leonardo

Sep 2, 2021, 5:32:56 PM9/2/21
to Dual N-Back, Brain Training & Intelligence
I see some cool cursor tracking on that board ;)

Thank you, I will let you know my experience in the next few days.

Fredo Corleone

Sep 2, 2021, 6:50:34 PM9/2/21
to Dual N-Back, Brain Training & Intelligence
aldona could you please report the exact syllogism? :)
By the way aai1 (Modus Barbari), aai3 (Modus Darapti) and aai4 (Modus Bamalip) are valid and eao (Modus Celaront, Modus Cesaro, Modus Felapton, Modus Fesapo) is valid for all figures.

Leonardo

Sep 3, 2021, 4:44:09 AM9/3/21
to Dual N-Back, Brain Training & Intelligence
For the moment, I have been getting just green halos.

Aldona Odojewska

Sep 3, 2021, 5:57:48 AM9/3/21
to brain-t...@googlegroups.com
Sorry, maybe that's just convention of syllogistics that terms are not empty. E.g. Barbara is fine, but Barbari is enthymematic, it presumes non-emptiness. The sentence "Every A is B" should not be interpreted as "A is a subset of B", because in the latter A can be empty. But such an interpretation of "Every A is B" may not be proper for mathematical/logical thinking where what isn't explicitly said, can't be just added if it changes the scope of conclusions.

Fredo Corleone

Sep 3, 2021, 6:41:03 AM9/3/21
to Dual N-Back, Brain Training & Intelligence
aldona to me All A is B simply means A is smaller than or equal to B, changing perspective I would say that B is at least A in size.

Fredo Corleone

Sep 3, 2021, 6:52:29 AM9/3/21
to Dual N-Back, Brain Training & Intelligence
aldona I get your view, but by the way I see syllogisms those are valid. If you feel like you can change the logic the way you want in the source code and simply invalidate those syllogisms you don't think are valid and keep training with your own version of the software :) I can teach you how to do it...

Leonardo

Sep 6, 2021, 12:43:45 PM9/6/21
to Dual N-Back, Brain Training & Intelligence
The real issue is that you only need to read the last 3 ones. No matter how long do you set the polysyllogism to be.

After:

All A is C Some B is A Some B is C All C is F Some F is B All F is G Some G is B All G is H Some H is B All H is I Some I is B All I is J Some J is B All B is K Some K is J All K is L Some L is J All J is M Some M is L All L is N Some N is M All N is O Some O is M All M is P Some P is O All O is Q Some Q is P All P is R Some R is Q All R is S Some S is Q All S is T Some T is Q All T is U Some U is Q All U is V Some V is Q All Q is W Some W is V All V is X Some X is W All W is Y

You just need to read:

Some Y is X
All Y is Z
Some Z is X

To know that the answer is True.

Fredo Corleone

Sep 6, 2021, 3:11:07 PM9/6/21
to Dual N-Back, Brain Training & Intelligence
Nope, the chain can break at any point. But it's exponentialy more likely to break at the end.

Leonardo

Sep 6, 2021, 5:48:08 PM9/6/21
to Dual N-Back, Brain Training & Intelligence
Yes? I have not found any counterexample yet, but it could be just a matter of luck.

Fredo Corleone

Sep 6, 2021, 6:21:07 PM9/6/21
to Dual N-Back, Brain Training & Intelligence
Because it's exponentially more likely to find it at the end, it means that most of them will fail close to the end, sum it with the fact that 50% are right and you have much more chances of it breaking later than earlier. But I'll fix this at one point xD