Comms from RNIB Reading Services

tim.p...@btinternet.com

Aug 12, 2021, 5:57:40 AM8/12/21
to brail...@googlegroups.com

Hi All,

Just received a missive from RNIB reading services, re issues they’ve been having regarding IT support for the new braille service, causing delays.  I’d have no problem with this communication on the basis that new services generally encounter teething problems, but I do object VERY strongly to the smug, self-satisfied, and certainly in my case entirely wrong statement at the beginning of the letter implying that the new service is an unqualified success.  I quote: “We would like to thank those of you who have got in touch to let us know how much you are enjoying the new system.  You like the small individual volumes which are more easily stored and handled.

You appreciate receiving freshly embossed and more hygienic braille with fewer faded dots.  You also like keeping the braille for as long as you need before recycling rather than returning them.”  End Quote.

What about those of me who have got in touch to say that we/I really feel that the new service is a step in the wrong direction?

I have raised issues with the new service with the library staff over the past weeks, and while I realise that there is merit in some aspects of the new service, my personal view is that overall, from the point of view of a service user, the changes to the service include more disadvantages than advantages.  I would like to have heard from the RNIB at least an acknowledgement that the changes would generate some inconvenience for their users.

Regards,

Tim

Jackie Brown

Aug 12, 2021, 6:28:33 AM8/12/21
to brail...@googlegroups.com

Hi Tim

The RNIB’s mantra is ‘mother knows best’, and that’s the way of it with everything and no arguments! Unfortunately, that whole ethos is deep-rooted in RNIB, they only want to hear positive feedback, nothing else matters! We should be jolly grateful for what we get, be patted on the head, then piss off! 😊

Kind regards,

Jackie Brown

Email: jackiean...@gmail.com

--
If you have any problems posting/replying to the Braillists Forum please email he...@braillists.org with a clear description of the issue and forward on any error messages you may have received.

Paul Sullivan

Aug 12, 2021, 6:37:24 AM8/12/21
to brail...@googlegroups.com
I fear you are right Jackie. Guide Dogs are no better. They treat their service users and volunteers like mushrooms, if you know what I mean?

Rachel Usher

Aug 12, 2021, 8:17:22 AM8/12/21
to brail...@googlegroups.com
Hi tim. I agree with you 100%. I too have made my own views known to RNIB's reading services, as i also feel that this new system is certainly a step in the wrong direction. I can't help feeling that any negative feedback they receive is completely ignored, like we're not being grateful. How dare we provide them with negative feedback.

Since this new system started, i have been completely bombarded with books (they've been sending me new books every month) which is not allowing me sufficient time to read existing books and make room for new; since i moved house at the end of last year i only have limited storage space. Well, time will tell regarding whether they actually stick to my request to reduce the time frequency of when i receive books. This new system is clearly not ideal in my view.
Rachel.

Aug 12, 2021, 8:52:49 AM8/12/21
to brail...@googlegroups.com

Thanks, Tim.  As you say, what about acknowledging the concerns as well as the complements.  Interestingly, I don’t receive these Comms from them.  Do we have to do something specific to opt in?

Regards.

Sandy

Aug 12, 2021, 9:00:54 AM8/12/21
to brail...@googlegroups.com
I have expressed my concerns both in writing and over the phone. They might pretend to care about eople's concerns but they clearly don't mean it. There's nothing specific you have to do.

Aug 12, 2021, 9:21:17 AM8/12/21
to brail...@googlegroups.com

The fundamental problem is that over the past decade RNIB has made a variety of changes to its governance so that there is no longer any direct accountability to service users or to blind and partially sighted people generally.

People campaigned hard in the 70s and 80s to get representatives of blind and partially sighted people on to RNIB’s governing body.  Later the Membership Scheme also had reps on the Board.  None of these systems were perfect, but they did make RNIB more responsive to users’ needs than it now needs to be.

Nothing about us without us!

David Mann

028 9260 7894

07766 302496

@DavidMann1946

Linda Deacon

Aug 12, 2021, 9:26:28 AM8/12/21
to brail...@googlegroups.com
I received my copy of the letter this lunchtime, and then all the comments in my inbox began to make sense. I don't know what you have to do to receive the newsletters, except from time to time when I've ordered things, I've been asked if I'm happy to receive communications from RNIB, but there is a random variation as to which I get by email and which come in braille, as today's has done. When I read it, my first thought was well, who did they ask? Because nobody actually asked me anything, and like Tim, I'm afraid most of the communications I've had with the service have been fairly negative. I do like the clean, crisp braille. I do appreciate they have had delays because of staffing issues and computer problems. But apart from that, I still firmly believe the main aim is to get us all onto electronic braille, and this is borne out by the invitation to get a free orbit and the statement that basically, if you're not happy about how often or how quickly you receive braille, then you can always use a braille display. I did recently get hold of the wonderful sd card with 2000 books on, and all they ask is a reasonable donation of £20 towards it. I'm very pleased with the range of choice on the card. But that isn't the point, is it, the point is, some folk really prefer hard copy braille, and I do myself for particular contexts. The last thing I have to say is, I saw the mention of recycling books again and I thought please, tell me most people are sharing, not just throwing them in the bin, because after only one read, they are still in excellent condition and could so easily be used by somebody else. And if you can't find out what volume it is, you don't have to open the cover, just slide your hand inside, and it's not that hard to find the information. It's near the top of the page in most cases anyway.

From Linda

subject: RE: Braillists Forum: Comms from RNIB Reading Services

[...]

If you have any problems posting/replying to the Braillists Forum please email he...@braillists.org <mailto:he...@braillists.org> with a clear description of the issue and forward on any error messages you may have received.
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Braillists" group.
To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/braillists/043901d78f60%247be497d0%2473adc770%24%40btinternet.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/braillists/043901d78f60%247be497d0%2473adc770%24%40btinternet.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer> .

Linda Deacon

Aug 12, 2021, 9:33:20 AM8/12/21
to Rachel Usher
My problem has been the opposite, I have had to call them several times to receive any books at all, and I've been happy to accept the difficulties with production and staffing, but I also knew others were being bombarded,so it didn't really make sense. There seemed to be an issue putting people's details on the system and then it would indicate you had been sent a book when you hadn't. I've had four books since the system changed and each time, I've had to call or write in and ask them what the problem is.

From Linda