Is it valid to use line item numbers with leading zeros in EDIFACT D96A?

Alexander

Jul 1, 2022, 10:04:30 AM7/1/22
to Bots Open Source EDI Translator
Hi all,

I just noticed that in EDIFACT D96A the field 1082 of the LIN segment is type "n" (numberic).
In EDIFACT D01B it is type "an" (alpha-numeric).

I am curious if it is valid to have leading zeroes in this field in version D96A then.
Bots removes the leading zeroes as the field type is numeric.
But would this be allowed by the EDIFACT standard or does "n" in the standard also mean no leading zeroes?

I could not find any information on this so far.

Best regards
Alex

Eppye Bots

Jul 1, 2022, 10:06:49 AM7/1/22
to 'Chuck Turco' via Bots Open Source EDI Translator
edifact syntax rules say that preceding zeroes can/will be discarded.
so: -> 000010 -> 10
kind regards, Henk-Jan Ebbers

Alexander

Jul 14, 2022, 10:43:05 AM7/14/22
to Bots Open Source EDI Translator
Hi Henk-Jan,

thank you for the input.
Do you maybe have a link where I can look up the edifact syntax rules?

Best regards
Alex

Alexander

Jul 14, 2022, 10:56:43 AM7/14/22
to Bots Open Source EDI Translator
Hi Henk-Jan,

I think I found it.
"In data elements for which the Data Elements Directory specifies variable length and there are no other restrictions, insignificant character positions shall be suppressed. In the case of insignificant characters, leading zeroes and trailing spaces shall be suppressed."

Thank you.

Best regards
Alex

stuar...@hotmail.com

Jul 15, 2022, 5:27:57 AM7/15/22
to Bots Open Source EDI Translator
It is valid. We even have customers send us 000001, 000002, 000003 etc. But when it reaches our SAP environment, we overwrite this when it reaches IDoc processing.