New Beekeeper Question - How much activity to expect?

Steve Loose

May 13, 2021, 1:21:39 PM5/13/21
to Boston Area Beekeepers Association
Hi, all.  I'm a new beekeeper and just got my first package on Monday.  I know I'm supposed to resist a hive inspection for a little longer, but I'm not noticing a ton of activity at my entrance.  Only 10 or so bees coming in and out.  Is that normal for the time of year and w/ a new hive?  THANKS!

Phillip Thomas

May 13, 2021, 1:27:24 PM5/13/21
to boston-beek...@googlegroups.com
Steve - you may want someone to come look at them with you -  that behavior is not normal at this time of year...

Sent from my iPhone.
Pls forgive small typo's and such.

--
Visit us at our website: http://www.bostonbeekeepers.org & on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/BostonBeekeepers

paul mueller

May 13, 2021, 1:57:28 PM5/13/21
to boston-beek...@googlegroups.com
Steve,

Inspection means taking all your frames out and looking for eggs or brood or nectar. You don't need to go that far. Just a take a peek.

If you gently smoke your hive entrance for a bit to distract them wait for a good bit to let that take effect and slowly take off the top cover, you could look in through the hole in the inner cover and see what's up. Where did you put your queen cage? Was it in a place that's visible through that hole? If so, there should be lots of bees around there to give you a clue about something being wrong. This is not very disruptive and low risk for causing a new package to abscond.

Don't oversmoke. Light drifty puffs. Be gentle and slow.

On Thu, May 13, 2021 at 1:29 PM, Steve Loose