Queens, anyone?

Sandra DeBow

Mar 27, 2021, 2:49:55 PM3/27/21
to Boston Area Beekeepers Association
Wondering if anyone has queens or sell or a recommendation where to get one.  I've never done this.

I lost one of two hives over the winter.  (looks like starvation/condensation? no mite signs and plenty of stored honey. Second, smaller hive, has shown activity but I inspected today and there is no brood.  Dead bees on bottom board and some dead in cells (starvation) -(this hive also had plenty of honey stores).  The active bees seem to be clustered around the remaining capped brood (1/6th of a frame ?) Lots of activity bringing in pollen but no sign of eggs or larvae. So seems I lost my queen.

Note that these are two hives that I split out of desperation when my bees swarmed last May (after swarm, too) so the Queens were brand new and seemed to go into the Winter well with plenty of brood, honey, etc..

Any recommendations for where I could get a new queen? Do I need bees too?  Or do I just need to start over :(   This was my second winter beekeeping so still learning.  I'm hesitant to just explore on line.

Tal Reichert

Mar 27, 2021, 3:19:23 PM3/27/21
to boston-beek...@googlegroups.com
If you need a queen stat, either try Olivarez Bees in California (who might ship you one either from CA or from HI), or call New England Bees (who are bringing packages from GA a week from Monday and might be able to bring you a queen as well).

Tal

--
Visit us at our website: http://www.bostonbeekeepers.org & on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/BostonBeekeepers

Phillip Thomas

Mar 27, 2021, 3:21:24 PM3/27/21
to cyouse via Boston Area Beekeepers Association
Also, you can order queens from BetterBee and they will ship them to you from NY.  I have done it and they were fine.

Phillip C. Thomas
Founder and CEO
Belmont Bee Company
Belmont, MA 02478
201.213.9788 (M)
617.932.1064 (O)

May Your Hive Be Strong and Full of Honey
🐝 🐝🐝 🐝
Ck out our new website:  www.BelmontBeeCompany.com

Sandra DeBow

Mar 27, 2021, 9:22:28 PM3/27/21
to Boston Area Beekeepers Association
Thank you Tal and Philip!  Much appreciated!