GSOD participation

Damian Vicino

Apr 1, 2019, 10:10:49 AM4/1/19
to Boost Steering Committee
Hi Steering Committe,
I want to request permission to register boost in the Google Season of Docs 2019: https://developers.google.com/season-of-docs/

I went last year to GSOC mentor summit (as Boost mentor) when they presented the GSOD program, and it seems we can benefit a lot from it. We can use it both to improve current doc, and to help library proposers in the track for approval to have better documentation before submiting for review simplifying the approval process.

We discussed in the dev email list the topic for last few weeks and it shows to be devs interested on mentoring for it. David Bellot suggested me to be the org-admin for this program. I'm currently secondary org admin for GSOC, and learning the processes there, GSOD each step is after GSOC one, and we expect them to be very similar in process (hard to know for sure given this is the first run).

I believe, we will have mentoring enough to run up to 8 projects this year if we are accepted. Registration for orgs is April 2nd to April 23rd.

Best regards,
Damian Vicino

Jon Kalb

Apr 1, 2019, 12:59:39 PM4/1/19
to Damian Vicino, Boost Steering Committee, David Bellot
Damian,

I think you should do this. It sounds like you have the backing and support of the community. I don’t think you need the Steering Committee’s blessing on this. Just do it.

If there is something you need from the Steering Committee, please let me know and I’ll make a formal motion.

Thanks for taking this on. I’m delighted to see Boost represented in this program.

Jon

--
The Boost Steering Committee webpage: https://sites.google.com/a/boost.org/steering/

Damian Vicino

Apr 4, 2019, 4:27:02 PM4/4/19
to Jon Kalb, Boost Steering Committee, David Bellot
> If there is something you need from the Steering Committee, please let me know and I’ll make a formal motion.

Hi Jon,
In the final step for registration, it asks to accept the rules of the program in behalf of the org.
In particular, Rule 5.1.c says:
- An Organization Administrator who has the full legal authority to bind the Organization must register the Organization for the Program and accept the terms of the Organization Participant Agreement on behalf of the Organization.

Should the committee approve that I can accept that?

More info about rules:  https://developers.google.com/season-of-docs/terms/program-rules

Jon Kalb

Apr 4, 2019, 5:11:47 PM4/4/19
to Damian Vicino, Boost Steering Committee, David Bellot
What is your time-frame here? How soon do you need to do this?

I’ve set up a ballot for the committee and we’ll see how quickly we can get this through.

Thanks.

Jon

Damian Vicino

Apr 4, 2019, 6:08:35 PM4/4/19
to Jon Kalb, Boost Steering Committee, David Bellot
Deadline to submit final application is April 23rd.

Jon Kalb

Apr 4, 2019, 8:04:24 PM4/4/19
to Damian Vicino, Boost Steering Committee, David Bellot
Damian,

The Google rules say that we need two admins. Who will be the other?

Jon

Damian Vicino

Apr 4, 2019, 9:50:43 PM4/4/19
to Jon Kalb, Boost Steering Committee, David Bellot
Pranam Lashkari volunteered to be the secondary org admin.

Jon Kalb

Apr 4, 2019, 11:24:23 PM4/4/19
to Damian Vicino, Boost Steering Committee, David Bellot
Damian,

The Steering Committee has just approved this ballot option:

Yes, authorize Damian Vicino to be the program administrator of the Boost participation in GSOD and to agree to the program terms for Boost Libraries.

Congratulations and thanks.

Jon