Taking over as the maintainer of a Boost library

Edward Diener

Aug 7, 2017, 7:12:03 PM8/7/17
to Boost Steering Committee
What is the proper way to have someone taking over as the maintainer of a Boost library, which either has no active maintainer or is a CMT library ?

Jon Kalb

Aug 7, 2017, 8:15:37 PM8/7/17
to Edward Diener, Boost Steering Committee, Marshall Clow, Alex Olivas

Edward,

I think that place to start is here:

                http://www.boost.org/community/official_library_maintainer_program.html

Jon

--
The Boost Steering Committee webpage: https://sites.google.com/a/boost.org/steering/

Michael Caisse

Aug 7, 2017, 9:56:50 PM8/7/17
to Boost Steering Committee
Hi Edward -

I think your post to the dev-ML was good and the first step. I was going to discuss this further with Marshall but have somebody willing to support a library is great. Maybe the CMT can review PR's for a bit and then just hand it over completely.

Michael

On Mon, Aug 7, 2017, 16:12 Edward Diener <edwardl...@gmail.com> wrote:
What is the proper way to have someone taking over as the maintainer of a Boost library, which either has no active maintainer or is a CMT library ?

Edward Diener

Aug 8, 2017, 1:55:23 PM8/8/17
On Monday, August 7, 2017 at 9:56:50 PM UTC-4, Michael Caisse wrote:
Hi Edward -

I think your post to the dev-ML was good and the first step. I was going to discuss this further with Marshall but have somebody willing to support a library is great. Maybe the CMT can review PR's for a bit and then just hand it over completely.

What does the process of "handling it over completely" entail ? I really think Boost needs to define the methodology for this and also have someone with enough Administrator rights to get this done. I realize that Boost can not just hand over a library for maintenance without knowing if the particular person is capable enough both as far as C++ and the library itself is concerned. But considering how many libraries really need a maintainer, even if those libraries are very solid themselves and have very few bugs, I believe Boost really needs to jump on the situation when someone wishes to maintain a library which either has no maintainer or is "maintained" as part of CMT. We can not afford to ignore such people in a sort of laissez faire manner; we need them too much.

Edward Diener

Aug 8, 2017, 2:04:14 PM8/8/17
to Boost Steering Committee, edwardl...@gmail.com, mc...@boost.org, oli...@icecube.umd.edu
On Monday, August 7, 2017 at 8:15:37 PM UTC-4, Jon Kalb wrote:

Edward,

I think that place to start is here:

                http://www.boost.org/community/official_library_maintainer_program.html

The above link strongly implies companies and organizations willing to maintain a Boost library. My OP is really about individual programmers willing to maintain a Boost library. Boost needs such people and I would like to see some sort of specific methodology which will allow such qualified people to mainatin a Boost library where there is currently no active mainatiner or where the library is part of the CMT. There are Boost libraries where PRs and bug reports build up and where there is no active maintainer to deal with these issues. I believe this is a serious problem with end users, and I think that having satisfied end users is central to Boost's success.

Michael Caisse

Aug 8, 2017, 7:21:46 PM8/8/17
to boost-steering, edwardl...@gmail.com, Marshall Clow, oli...@icecube.umd.edu
Hi Edward -

I agree with you and had this same discussion over dinner last night with a fellow Booster.

Meanwhile ... I've sent an email to Jim so we can get him setup.

Thank you for following through with this.
michael