Ford IRS 8.8 into 510 sedan

David Lum

Aug 27, 2021, 9:33:06 AM8/27/21
to 510 mailing list
Does anyone know of a Ford 8.8 IRS diff swapped into a 510? I see there are kits for the Z-car and some wagons have put in the live axle, but not finding anything on the sedan.

Dave

David Patten

Aug 27, 2021, 10:33:07 AM8/27/21
to 510 List
Dave,
I have also only seen Z car swaps and all those were for the 2014 and earlier 8.8 diff. There are 2 different designs of this diff, most have one forward mount. The kits are designed around the harder to find 2 forward mount diff. The 2015 and newer 8.8 has a different case design that is available in cast iron or aluminum.

I would think the R200 long nose would be the diff to use in a 510. A Z31 300ZX Turbo LSD unit would be the ideal one. These are extremely hard to find, but you can buy an LSD unit for the R200 short nose diffs (S13/14/15) and it will fit the long nose case. You will need bore spacers for the ring gear bolts, as the short nose diff uses a larger diameter ring gear bolt than the long nose ring gear you will be using.

The 8.8 is 224 mm, so the R200 wouldn't seem to be much of a disadvantage in strength.

Dave Patten, Owner

FutoFab, LLC
199 Stark Hwy So
Dunbarton, NH 03046-4411

Telephone - (603) 774-6964
Facebook - FutoFab LLC

Does anyone know of a Ford 8.8 IRS diff swapped into a 510? I see there are kits for the Z-car and some wagons have put in the live axle, but not finding anything on the sedan.

Dave

NOTICE!!!!

All emails will be sent to the author of this message. If you want to send this message to the group simply add this address to the "To" field in your email client blueb...@googlegroups.com .

Chip Collingwood

Aug 27, 2021, 10:43:21 AM8/27/21
to David Patten, 510 List
I have (2) of the 8.8 diffs that I would part with for shipping & handling...these are the supercharged t-bird rears with lsd.

Chip

Gary Savage

Aug 27, 2021, 11:05:51 AM8/27/21
to fut...@gsinet.net, 510 List
My buddy has a Z31 turbo R200 CLSD 3.70 that is all cleaned up and new seals for $1200.

Gary Savage

david datsuns.com

Aug 27, 2021, 1:26:41 PM8/27/21
to 510 mailing list
Thanks all,

Ford 8.8 has the taller ratios that I am after, and the aluminum cased ones (Lincoln MKVIII) weigh the same as an R180. You wouldn't think I care about weight with the brick I have underhood, but Red has a few items that make it lighter than if I just threw shit on it willy-nilly.

Dave.

David Patten

Aug 27, 2021, 1:53:27 PM8/27/21
to 510 List
Dave,
What ratios are you looking for?

The R200 in a manual 280Z is a 3.36. Buy a custom R200 mustache bar and it bolts in. Seems simpler than fitting a Ford 8.8 into the car if 3.36 will work.

Dave Patten, Owner

FutoFab, LLC
199 Stark Hwy So
Dunbarton, NH 03046-4411