Calculate always the first action

James McLean

Sep 11, 2023, 10:55:28 PM9/11/23
to Quicksilver
Something has suddenly scrambled my actions.

With the Calculator Plugin (which I use very frequently) enabled, objects such as applications and text files get "Calculate" as the top choice action.  Which of course makes no sense, besides the fact that Calculate is only supposed to become available with an object starting with "=".  (Some objects, such as Contacts, don't have this problem.)

With Calculator Plugin disabled, at least an application gets the top action Open.  But the list of other action choices includes things which make no sense, such as Search Contents.  And I must misunderstand something, because in QS> Preferences> Actions> Type=Applications, the Open action does not even appear in the list???  This leaves me uncertain if it is just Calculator gone wrong, or something deeper.

I've tried deleting and reinstalling the Calculator plugin, with no effect.  What else can I try, to fix or debug?

random1destiny

Sep 12, 2023, 1:23:59 PM9/12/23
to Quicksilver
I'm having the same problem immediately after the last update. When I enter a file name I usually Open it now makes Calculate the main action.

random1destiny

Sep 12, 2023, 1:27:25 PM9/12/23
to Quicksilver
Looks like you can go into Settings>Actions and re-arrange the action priority. For some reason "Open" and "Open File" were moved way down the list below Calculate after the last update.

James McLean

Sep 12, 2023, 2:47:57 PM9/12/23
to Quicksilver
Thanks, I was able to use that idea to get a usable work-around.
But it still seems like something fundamental is broken.  Why is Calculate even being offered as an action, for an application for example?  Calculate is not even in the Applications list of Actions, let alone enabled by my check-boxes.
And I just had to share this amusing screenshot.  Recursion, anyone?
Untitled.png

Nathan Henrie

Sep 13, 2023, 10:05:44 AM9/13/23
to Nathan Henrie
Would you mind please making an issue at https://github.com/quicksilver/Quicksilver/issues? The template helps make sure we have enough info to give us the best shot and reproducing the issue, and it's much more discoverable / searchable for other users experiencing the same.

FWIW, I'm running the current code from `main`, and I do not see this behavior.

It *seems* a lot like https://github.com/quicksilver/Quicksilver/issues/2960 and I've written up my thoughts on a possible cause and some steps for debugging in that thread.

Nate

James McLean

Sep 17, 2023, 9:58:24 PM9/17/23
to Quicksilver
Thanks for the link to issue 2960.  Following up on that revealed that the behavior I observed was a case of unintended consequences, rather than a real error.  Now that applications are valid targets for text actions, and since Calculate is a text action, this was the natural outcome.  Calculate was ranked pretty high for me (I use it all the time), above the Open/Reveal action, hence the change in my experience.  I believe that adjusting the action rankings is the proper way to deal with this.

I consider it a bit awkward that Calculate is a text action; too many text strings are not reasonable targets for Calculate.  Nevertheless, I do see the use case, so I would not ask for anything to be changed.  Just need to make sure that the initial/default rank for Calculate is low enough not to beat other more likely text actions.  (I presume that the action rankings are adaptive, explaining why it was so high for me.)

brian...@gmail.com

Sep 17, 2023, 10:28:43 PM9/17/23
to Quicksilver
Thank you. This has been happening to me to. My muscle memory is faster than my brain.

So, the solution is to change the ranking on Calculator?

James McLean

Sep 18, 2023, 5:11:10 AM9/18/23
to Quicksilver
Same with my muscle memory.  I don't know whether defeating that muscle memory enough times would teach Quicksilver to adjust the action rankings.  But it worked for me to go into Preferences (General)> Actions> All Actions and drag Calculate below Open/Reveal.

Side note: Initially I thought that one of the "Run" actions must be what launched an app, but reading the descriptions revealed that was incorrect.

Nathan Henrie

Sep 18, 2023, 3:49:51 PM9/18/23
to James McLean, Nathan Henrie
Can anyone localize this change in behavior to a specific release? Trying to narrow down the possibilities.

It still could be, but I find it interesting that I am *not* seeing the unusual behaviors that others are; for example my default action for applications is still "open" (even though I can see Calculate lower in the list). Others seem to have had "calculate" or "large type" become the default.

I wonder if setting `kQSObjectDefaultAction` for file paths to "open" might help?

Nate

James McLean

Sep 19, 2023, 3:05:09 PM9/19/23
to Quicksilver
For me, I thought it was version 2.4.1 that changed behavior.  I usually update things promptly, and it couldn't have been earlier than mid-August, I don't think.  Dates are missing from the latest entries in the Change Log, so I can't cross-check with that.

Nathan Henrie

Sep 19, 2023, 3:23:25 PM9/19/23
to Nathan Henrie

James McLean

Sep 19, 2023, 3:31:53 PM9/19/23
to Quicksilver
There it is!  Yes, my memory of my experience is consistent with the change occurring in 2.4.1.

Rob McBroom

Oct 3, 2023, 1:48:05 PM10/3/23
to 'Nathan Henrie' via Quicksilver
On 18 Sep 2023, at 15:49, 'Nathan Henrie' via Quicksilver wrote:

> Can anyone localize this change in behavior to a specific release? Trying to narrow down the possibilities.
>
> I initially thought this might be from my change at https://github.com/quicksilver/Quicksilver/commit/0a096e6d6c0f1709092c35af889daf842738b811
>
> It still could be, but I find it interesting that I am *not* seeing the unusual behaviors that others are; for example my default action for applications is still "open" (even though I can see Calculate lower in the list). Others seem to have had "calculate" or "large type" become the default.
>
> I wonder if setting `kQSObjectDefaultAction` for file paths to "open" might help?

That’s almost certainly what did it. The people who aren’t seeing this probably already had Calculate lower than open. Prior to the change, Calculate wouldn’t even be an option for files. But once it became an available action, if it was ranked higher than Open, it would suddenly be the default.

There’s nothing we can do for existing installs other than tell people to review their actions and order them according to their preferences, but for new installs, we just need to make sure Open has a higher default rank than Calculate, Large Type, etc.

As a general rule, whether it’s us devs assigning default ranks or users arranging their actions, the ones that apply to one type should be highest. For instance, it’s safe to put SSH at the top of the list because it never shows for anything other than Remote Hosts.

--
Rob McBroom