Catalog empty after restart

James McLean

Jan 5, 2023, 5:14:04 PM1/5/23
to Quicksilver
Long-time user of Quicksilver, but certainly not a power user…
After a clean rebuild to Ventura, I now find that after a restart, most of the Catalog entries are empty.  I have to manual rescan them (Applications, System Applications, Documents, ...)  I've tried just waiting, to see if something is just slow getting started, but it doesn't help.

In the past I'm sure this wasn't an option.  Is Quicksilver supposed to forget it's Catalog on a restart?  Maybe it is having trouble saving that information due to some permissions problem?

James McLean

Jan 5, 2023, 9:20:01 PM1/5/23
to Quicksilver
Ooops, "sure this wasn't an option" was supposed to say "sure this wasn't a problem".

Rob McBroom

Jan 6, 2023, 9:55:00 AM1/6/23
to Quicksilver
The first thing I would check are the Privacy & Security settings. I give QS Full Disk Access and Automation. You might also need to give it Contacts and Calendars.

--
Rob McBroom

James McLean

Jan 6, 2023, 3:18:36 PM1/6/23
to Quicksilver
Thanks for the good thought.  Full Disk Access especially seems like a good thing to give Quicksilver.

However, those have not solved my problem.  My guess is that the core problem is that Catalog scans never happen.  I have Rescan set to "Every 10 min", but I just waited 90 minutes with zero entries in the three main folder catalogs mentioned above.  Manual scans work fine, so access to the catalog objects is not the problem.  So now I have two questions:
  1. Is there a way to trigger a manual scan of all catalogs, instead of just the one selected?  That would make living with this problem easier.
  2. What might prevent the automatic scans?  Is there somewhere that error messages would be logged, so that I can debug?

Nathan Henrie

Jan 6, 2023, 4:02:28 PM1/6/23
to blacktree-...@googlegroups.com
https://github.com/quicksilver/Quicksilver/issues/2934

Nate

James McLean

Jan 6, 2023, 4:14:04 PM1/6/23
to Quicksilver
I believe that I have tracked my problem back to a problem outside of Quicksilver.  The problem occurs specifically when Quicksilver is started via Login Items (QS> Prefs> Start and login, visible in Mac Sys Settings> General> Login Items).  Those seem to be running under the UNIX shell /bin/sh, instead of my default shell (zsh), which is causing problems with multiple Login Items.  If I start QS from the Finder, the initial catalog scan has no problems.  I haven't tested the automatic rescan, but I'll bet a dollar that it is also fixed.
Does anyone know whether it makes sense that QS would be affected by which shell it runs within?

Mal Function

Jan 7, 2023, 6:39:16 AM1/7/23
to 'roaming_bob' via Quicksilver
This may be entirely unrelated - I know almost nothing of these matters - but there are a couple of things I'd like to tell in case they're helpful in diagnosing this scenario...

I upgraded by 2017 iMac to Ventura (from Monterey) once Apple had released 13.1  I immediately ran into a couple of issues with other software I use - Mail Steward (MS) and Carbon Copy Cloner (CCC).  Both of these need the permissions turned on for full disk access and accessibility...

In the case of MS, my issue was that my once-a-day schedule didn't run after the upgrade.  Eventually, another user told the developer (John Seward) that he'd had success by granting the permissions and immediately rebooting.  Further, this was only required in a situation where MS had been installed prior to the OS upgrade - a cleanly installed MS into a machine already running Ventura didn't display this behaviour.  This worked for me -my scheduled MS archival routine has run perfectly ever since.  John's "best guess is that it is a bug in Ventura that causes the OS to not notice a new scheduling plist file until it is rebooted."

In the case of CCC, their support told me to manually set the permissions in System Settings (I'm just getting the hang of the new naming conventions!) rather than rely on applying the settings from within CCC itself.  They said, "Typically macOS will grant CCC's helper tool full disk access as long as you have granted full disk access to "Carbon Copy Cloner", but we've found that to be terribly inconsistent. It's more consistent to explicitly grant full disk access to CCC's helper tool."

HTH and HNY,
Tim.

James McLean

Jan 9, 2023, 3:27:12 PM1/9/23
to Quicksilver
Well, this is strange.  When I posted my question, it seemed to be happening consistently.  Now, I I've tried to reproduce about 8 times, and only saw the problem once.  This includes several times NOT seeing the problem upon a restart with all permissions for Quicksilver REMOVED!  So, I guess I just move on with my life, and accept that computers are mysterious.  Thanks for all the suggestions!