Mac Update

Kimberly Vish

Jan 6, 2021, 10:50:44 AM1/6/21
to BioXTAS RAW
Hello,

I made the (stupid) mistake of updating my mac computer to macOS "Big Sur" Version 11.1 and now I can't open RAW. I was wondering if this is a simple fix or if the program has to be rewritten to run on the new software update?

Thanks,
Kimmie

Jesse Hopkins

Jan 6, 2021, 11:01:35 AM1/6/21
to bioxt...@googlegroups.com
Hi Kimmie,

Right now I don’t have a computer running 11.1 to test RAW on, so I don’t know what the issue is. In theory, especially if you have an intel Mac rather than a new ARM based Mac (M1 chip), it should work. It would be useful to know if you’re getting any error messages, and what the exact behavior is that you’re seeing. Also, what version of RAW are you using?

There might be a permissions issue, try right clicking on the app and selecting ‘open’ from the right click menu. Or try reinstalling RAW. You might get more info running the RAW app from the command line. You can see the troubleshooting here:

If none of that works, your best bet is probably to install from source:

Let me know how it goes. I do hope to upgrade my test machine to MacOS 11 at some point, but between the holidays and COVID restrictions I don’t have physical access to that machine right now.

All the best.

- Jesse

----
Jesse Hopkins, PhD
Beamline Scientist
BioCAT, Sector 18
Advanced Photon Source

Kimberly Vish

Jan 6, 2021, 11:11:23 AM1/6/21
to bioxt...@googlegroups.com
I have the latest version of raw on this computer (it ran fine before the update). I tried reinstalling it and the permissions did pop up, but the problem persisted. Here is a screenshot of the message and the text report it generates, if you want to take a look. I’ll try installing from the source and let you know.

Thanks!
Kimmie
Report.rtf
Screen Shot 2021-01-06 at 11.06.38 AM.png

Chris Berndsen

Jan 6, 2021, 11:51:30 AM1/6/21
to bioxt...@googlegroups.com
I have had the same issue and get the same error message as Kimmie. Standard fixes like reinstalling, running as admin, etc. do not seem to fix the issue but I had not gotten further in my troubleshooting.

Chris

Jesse Hopkins

Jan 6, 2021, 4:32:24 PM1/6/21
to bioxt...@googlegroups.com
Hi Chris,

Thanks for the info. I'll test this as soon as I can get a 11.1 test machine set up (which may be a week or two). In the meantime, I'd try installing from source, using the link I sent Kimmie. I'd be interested to know if that works for you.

All the best.

- Jesse

----
Jesse Hopkins, PhD
Beamline Scientist
BioCAT, Sector 18
Advanced Photon Source

Kimberly Vish

Jan 11, 2021, 10:17:09 AM1/11/21
to bioxt...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jesse,

I’m currently working on downloading from the source, but I noticed the link on the webpage to download miniconda doesn’t exist anymore. I found this website to download it I think, but I wanted to make sure with you this is the right thing before I download something that I shouldn’t trust.

Thanks,
Kimmie

Jesse Hopkins

Jan 11, 2021, 10:19:42 AM1/11/21
to bioxt...@googlegroups.com
Hi Kimmie,

Yes, that's the right link. It's actually just a typo in the mac documentation (an extra l at the end of .html), which I'll fix. Thanks for letting me know!

All the best.

- Jesse

----
Jesse Hopkins, PhD
Beamline Scientist
BioCAT, Sector 18
Advanced Photon Source

Kimberly Vish

Jan 11, 2021, 11:58:36 AM1/11/21
to bioxt...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, and I just finished installing by source code and it seems to work now!

Jesse Hopkins

Jan 11, 2021, 1:59:59 PM1/11/21
to bioxt...@googlegroups.com
Hi Kimmie,

I'm glad to hear that seems to work!

I built a version on MacOS 10.15, which is the latest version I have and much more recent than what I build the distributed .app package on. I'd be interested if this one worked any better for you:

If you have a chance to test it, let me know.

All the best.

- Jesse

----
Jesse Hopkins, PhD
Beamline Scientist
BioCAT, Sector 18
Advanced Photon Source

Kimberly Vish

Jan 11, 2021, 3:54:30 PM1/11/21
to bioxt...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jesse,

I tried the application you sent and it worked too. Thanks!

Jesse Hopkins

Jan 11, 2021, 4:01:09 PM1/11/21
to bioxt...@googlegroups.com
Hi Kimmie,

Thanks, that's useful to know. So the problem is some incompatibility between the application as built on an older version of MacOS (I build on 10.9, for maximum backwards compatibility) and the newest version of the OS. I'll have to do some further testing, but at least I have an idea of the problem.

All the best.

- Jesse

----
Jesse Hopkins, PhD
Beamline Scientist
BioCAT, Sector 18
Advanced Photon Source

Jesse Hopkins

Apr 20, 2021, 12:32:25 PM4/20/21
to bioxt...@googlegroups.com
Hi Kimmie,

I've just released a new version of RAW, 2.1.0, which is fully compatible with MacOS 11.

- Jesse

----
Jesse Hopkins, PhD
Beamline Scientist