Your favorite triple store

Núria Queralt Rosinach

Dec 1, 2020, 6:30:17 AM12/1/20
to BioHackathon

Dear all,

I would need your recommendation for a triple store with high perfomance and reasoning capabilities. Do you have any favourite? why? license recommendation? Any feedback would be very much appreciated.Thank you so much!

Kind regards,
Núria

Jerven Tjalling Bolleman

Dec 1, 2020, 7:19:00 AM12/1/20
to biohac...@googlegroups.com, Núria Queralt Rosinach
Hi Núria,

As you don't give any qualifications regarding what is "high
performance".
I would suggest starting with GraphDB (free) by Ontotext.
https://graphdb.ontotext.com/

It has a really nice user interface and quite a lot of in build
reasoning.
Once that no longer suffices you would have enough data to evaluate
alternatives.

Regards,
Jerven

--
Jerven Tjalling Bolleman
SIB | Swiss Institute of Bioinformatics

Mikel Egaña Aranguren

Dec 1, 2020, 8:27:12 AM12/1/20
to biohac...@googlegroups.com, Núria Queralt Rosinach
Hi;

Having worked with Stardog, Virtuoso, and GraphDB, I concur with Jerven, I would go for GraphDB, for the same reasons (Plus it is the cheapest if you are going to go for a high availability cluster)

Cheers

--
Mikel Egaña Aranguren, Ph.D.

https://mikel-egana-aranguren.github.io

Núria Queralt Rosinach

Dec 1, 2020, 8:29:32 AM12/1/20
to Jerven....@sib.swiss, biohac...@googlegroups.com
Thank you so much Jerven for your fast reply.

Excuse me for the lack of details, by  "high performance" we are mainly interested in query and ETL processes.

Missatge de Jerven Tjalling Bolleman <Jerven....@sib.swiss> del dia dt., 1 de des. 2020 a les 13:18:

Jerven Tjalling Bolleman

Dec 1, 2020, 8:42:00 AM12/1/20
to Núria Queralt Rosinach, biohac...@googlegroups.com
On 2020-12-01 14:29, Núria Queralt Rosinach wrote:
> Thank you so much Jerven for your fast reply.
>
> Excuse me for the lack of details, by "high performance" we are
> mainly interested in query and ETL processes.

That is still a very big lack of details ;) if I where consulting for
you
I would start with these questions.

* how big an ETL.
** How often/what update frequency
** What consistency requirements.
* Types of queries
** how fast must it answer
** allowed deviations in reply time
** service level agreements
** may/can we cache answers
* Budget availability in people hours/hardware/licensing.
* Existing infrastructure available for use.
* Can ETL be avoided by using R2RML etc.
* how much reasoning is
** desired
** wanted
** really needed.
* single store required, or can we federate?

Still, my first answer is a good place to start.

Regards,
Jerven

Núria Queralt Rosinach

Dec 4, 2020, 11:17:07 AM12/4/20
to biohac...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jerven and Mikel!

Thank you so much for your very useful feedback. I've greatly appreciated it!!!

Take care.
Have a lovely weekend,

Missatge de Jerven Tjalling Bolleman <Jerven....@sib.swiss> del dia dt., 1 de des. 2020 a les 14:42: