Mixed Logit Model Running time

Alejandro Montes

Aug 30, 2021, 7:20:56 AM8/30/21
to Biogeme
Dear Prof. Bierlaire,

For my MSc Thesis I'm running several Mixed Logit models using PandasBiogeme. For each model I am only including one random variable as to reduce complexity. However, some of the models are taking too long to run when the numberOfDraws is at around 32000. I wanted to ask you if there is any recommendation on how to accelerate said times. For instance, I was taking that maybe biogeme is not using all the cores available in my laptop, but I'm not sure about that.

I am generating the random draws as Normal, following the example 05 available in the webpage

Thanks in advance for your help,

Alejandro Montes

Bierlaire Michel

Aug 30, 2021, 7:26:55 AM8/30/21
to amont...@gmail.com, Bierlaire Michel, Biogeme
If you have only one random variable, you can use numerical integration instead of Monte-Carlo.

If you want to use Monte-Carlo, you can also check if the results stabilize with a lower number of draws. You can also use variance reduction methods, such as antithetic draws.

By default, Biogeme is using as many cores as reported by the function multiprocessing.cpu_count(). The actual number of cores used is reported in the HTML report file.

See

Alejandro Montes

Aug 30, 2021, 7:52:46 AM8/30/21
to Biogeme
Thanks for the quick reply,

What about halton draws? would they help to reduce the number of draws? I'm modelling one random parameter at a time, but then I would like to run one model with the ones that I found have a significant effect.

Bierlaire Michel

Aug 30, 2021, 7:54:53 AM8/30/21

On 30 Aug 2021, at 13:38, Alejandro Montes <amont...@gmail.com> wrote:

Thanks for the quick reply,

What about halton draws? would they help to reduce the number of draws? I'm modelling one random parameter at a time, but then I would like to run one model with the ones that I found have a significant effect.

Sure. There is a comparison on table 6, p. 16 in the report.