Ranked ordered logit model / exploded logit model

Jingzhu Shan

Oct 7, 2021, 9:17:21 AM10/7/21
to Biogeme
Dear Professor,

In my study, I obtained full rankings of 4 alternatives in each choice card. Is it possible to do a rank ordered logit model using Biogeme? How can we do that?

I have read some paper about rank ordered logit model, and some said we could explode the data manually to estimate the model (but their example is 'long form' data). As we need 'wide form' data in Biogeme, how can we explode data to do a rank ordered logit model?

Hope to hear from you.

Thanks.

Jingzhu

Bierlaire Michel

Oct 7, 2021, 9:30:52 AM10/7/21
to jingz...@gmail.com, Bierlaire Michel, Biogeme
Yes, you can. You need to write a script that generates, for each “ranked” observation, 3 choice observations, each time with a different choice set.
The data will have a panel structure. And you will probably need to take care of serial correlation.

Jingzhu Shan

Oct 8, 2021, 5:24:49 AM10/8/21
to Biogeme
Thanks for your quick reply, Professor.

You mean if we have A,B,C,D alternatives in a choice set,  and respondents most preferred A, and then B, C, D. In this situation,
we will have A,B,C,D in the first choice observation, B,C,D  in the second observation, and C,D in the third observation?

 If we format data like this, Biogeme will have an error "The database contains NaN value(s).". How can we deal with this?

Bierlaire Michel

Jingzhu Shan

Bierlaire Michel

Oct 19, 2021, 11:17:36 AM10/19/21

On 8 Oct 2021, at 14:14, Jingzhu Shan <jingz...@gmail.com> wrote:

Thanks for your quick reply, Professor.

You mean if we have A,B,C,D alternatives in a choice set,  and respondents most preferred A, and then B, C, D. In this situation,
we will have A,B,C,D in the first choice observation, B,C,D  in the second observation, and C,D in the third observation?

 If we format data like this, Biogeme will have an error "The database contains NaN value(s).". How can we deal with this?

You obtain this error because your data contain NaN value. It should not. The default value for missing data in Biogeme is 99999.