Bioc-teaching meeting: Monday 6 July at 5pm CEST

lauren...@gmail.com

Jul 3, 2020, 11:29:02 AM7/3/20
to bioconductor-teaching
Dear all,

It seems that Monday 6 July at 5pm CEST is the time slot that earns most votes: 7 'yes' + 1 'if need be'. Given that this will be our first meeting, it will be important to get a majority on board for this Bioc curriculum planning kick-off meeting.

I will send meeting details in due time.

Looking forward to meeting you all.

Best wishes,

Laurent

lauren...@gmail.com

Jul 3, 2020, 1:31:38 PM7/3/20
to bioconductor-teaching
Dear all,

Please find the meeting details below. We'll be using (1) Jitsi, an open-source video conferencing solution. Simply click the link below and connect with your browser or download an app for your phone (https://jitsi.org/#download).

To join by phone instead, tap this: +1.512.647.1431,,2105280635#
Looking for a different dial-in number? See meeting dial-in numbers: https://meet.jit.si/static/dialInInfo.html?room=BioconductorTeaching
If also dialing-in through a room phone, join without connecting to audio: https://meet.jit.si/BioconductorTeaching#config.startSilent=true

Best wishes,

Laurent

(1) Testing, in my case. But I'm quite keen to test an open-source alternative to the commercial options.

Charlotte Soneson

Jul 6, 2020, 3:00:54 PM7/6/20
to bioconductor-teaching
Hi everyone,

Thanks for the interesting discussions today! I made a doodle poll for the next call (mid-August) - please fill it out if you would like to attend: https://doodle.com/poll/eqrwcu6m7bs3cn34
Also, feel free to add your thoughts and notes to the google doc.

All the best,
Charlotte

Charlotte Soneson

Jul 9, 2020, 5:25:15 AM7/9/20
to bioconductor-teaching
Hi again,

from the doodle it seems that the best time for the next Bioc/Carpentries discussion is Monday, August 17, 1pm CEST, and that we may be able to accommodate participants from at least three continents :) Please book this time in your calendar, and we’ll send out a meeting invite a bit closer to the day.

Thanks
Charlotte

Erin Becker

Jul 14, 2020, 5:05:19 PM7/14/20
to Charlotte Soneson, bioconductor-teaching
Thank you for organising this Charlotte! I won't be able to attend, as it will be 4am Pacific US, but Toby Hodges will have just started as an official Carpentries Core Team member mid-August and will be able to represent the Core Team. :-)

Best,
Erin

--
Erin Becker
Associate Director with The Carpentries

Charlotte Soneson

Jul 15, 2020, 3:00:38 AM7/15/20
to Erin Becker, bioconductor-teaching
Thanks Erin, and great that Toby can attend! Sorry for the early hour this time - it’s really great to have a global team, but it does bring some challenges :)
Charlotte

Charlotte Soneson

Nov 5, 2020, 8:41:37 AM11/5/20
to bioconductor-teaching
Hi everyone,

just a reminder that the next Bioconductor teaching call will take place on Monday, November 9 at 2pm CET. The plan for this time is to discuss what properties we would need from a data set that could ideally be used throughout the intro module, and how/where we can find such a data set. Thus, we’d encourage everyone to give some thought to the types of figures/analyses that we would like to include in the module (based on the high-level objectives that we worked on previously), and what we would need from the data in order to achieve this goal.

The jitsi link is the usual one: https://meet.jit.si/BioconductorTeaching

See you on Monday,
Charlotte & Laurent

Charlotte Soneson

Nov 10, 2020, 12:23:26 PM11/10/20
to bioconductor-teaching
Hi everyone,

As agreed during the Bioconductor teaching call yesterday, I started assembling a short abstract for the EuroBioc conference. You can find it here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1J3OAGauhy4CwDvOkZke2X3E4jjufRAxeTcuqMvmTVO8/edit?usp=sharing (I’ve added the link also to the regular Google Doc). Please have a look and suggest any edits in there, at your earliest convenience but latest on Sunday (Nov 15), so that it can be submitted before the deadline. As a reminder, we are submitting this for a short talk (8 min).

Thanks!
Charlotte

Robert Castelo

Nov 11, 2020, 3:34:47 AM11/11/20
to Charlotte Soneson, bioconductor-teaching
Thanks Charlotte,

i've made a few edits in the "suggestion" mode, mostly to emphasize the fact that our efforts are focused on developing training material for The Carpentries project.

cheers,

robert.

Robert Castelo, PhD
Associate Professor
Dept. of Experimental and Health Sciences
Universitat Pompeu Fabra (UPF)
Barcelona Biomedical Research Park (PRBB)
Dr Aiguader 88
E-08003 Barcelona, Spain
telf: +34.933.160.514

Drnevich, Jenny

Nov 11, 2020, 9:40:27 AM11/11/20
to Robert Castelo, Charlotte Soneson, bioconductor-teaching

I love group editing! I didn’t have any ideas for the abstract at first, but then after Robert put in his suggestions, I felt there were some needed connections between the Carpentries project and why we had the goals we did. I added few sentences on instructor training and current R modules, but I’m not super happy with my wording so please improve if you can.

Jenny

Charlotte Soneson

Dec 3, 2020, 5:51:04 AM12/3/20
to bioconductor-teaching
Hi everyone,

just a quick reminder of the Bioc teaching call on Monday, December 7 at 2pm CET. The jitsi link, as usual, is https://meet.jit.si/BioconductorTeaching.
The agenda is available in the Google Doc - the main topic will be exercise design, which Toby will kindly guide us through.
Last time we converged towards using the data set proposed by Kevin (from https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-018-07329-0) for the intro module. Kevin has prepared a repository with information on how to pull down the data here: https://github.com/kevinrue/bioc-teaching-intro. Running dev/geo-download.sh followed by dev/make-se.R should generate the SummarizedExperiment object (I just tried and it worked fine).

Kevin RUE

Dec 3, 2020, 8:27:15 AM12/3/20
to Charlotte Soneson, bioconductor-teaching
Hi all,

For the purpose of the meeting agenda, I've got to leave at 3pm sharp at the latest, so I'd appreciate it if I could present my progress on the dataset as soon as possible, in case I need to disappear early.

Best wishes
Kevin

Charlotte Soneson

Jan 7, 2021, 3:02:21 PM1/7/21
to bioconductor-teaching
Hi everyone,

Happy New Year! Just a quick reminder that the next bioc-teaching call will take place on Monday, January 11 at 2pm CET. The jitsi link is https://meet.jit.si/BioconductorTeaching. One of the agenda items this time will be to discuss how the group can participate in the newly launched Carpentries lesson development study groups (https://carpentries.org/blog/2020/12/lesson-development-study-groups/).
In addition, we wanted to draw your attention to the fact that the Carpentries is currently running a bonus module on online training for certified Carpentries instructors (see more at https://carpentries-incubator.github.io/instructor-training-bonus-modules/bonus_module_calendar/index.html).

lauren...@gmail.com

Jan 11, 2021, 4:02:53 AM1/11/21
to bioconductor-teaching
I have added the high level suggestion for the intro course: https://github.com/Bioconductor/bioconductor-teaching/blob/master/overview.md