Update from the moderator(s)

Alex Fiedler

Mar 12, 2021, 8:00:54 PM3/12/21
to Biochar
Hi this is a most promising google group.  Unfortunately the last activity was 8 months ago.  If you are a moderator for this group, would you please speak up and give us an update of your plans with regard to this group.

Thanks in advance.

Nando

Mar 12, 2021, 8:05:56 PM3/12/21
to Biochar
There is currently much more activity on this group >  https://biochar.groups.io/g/main so I suggest you join it.

Ronal Larson

Mar 13, 2021, 12:08:12 AM3/13/21
to bio...@googlegroups.com, Bio...@groups.io, Nando, al...@charboy.com.au, Tom Miles
 Hi all:

The real moderrtor of both lists is/was Tom Miles - but when I’m not being kicked off for my server having sent back a junk mail notice, I was/am the ‘'biochar’ list helper to Tom.  So I am here only adding to Nando’s explanation

The Google version simply morphed into the io version.  For most of us the change was not noticed at all.

Thanks to both Alex and Nando for their kind words - that are well deserved - by Tom

For the sake of history, let me add that there haa been considerable char-list morphing - since 1996.

a.  In 1996, Tom asked me to be a co-cordinator of a new list to be called “stoves” - because I was talking  in late 1995 about charcoal-making stoves on a Tom Miles list he called ‘“bioenergy” (or similar)
(those early year records are lost - but I believe we are up to 2 char lists by 2000)
b.   About 2000, Andrew Heggie replaced me as Tom’s helper and still is doing so. About 1000 members there now. I think  - with considerable list overlap.
(Still some serious stove/char literature there.  i sent one today responding to newly reported great new char-making stove work in the Philippines.)
c.   In 2005,  Tom started a new list to be called ’Terra Preta”, after we heard of a new group forming called “agrichar”
(I’m not sure - but I think most early biochar list discussion stayed with stoves - as today’s 200 or 250 biochar papers per month was then probably 100 times smaller)
d.   In 2007 in Australia, that young ‘agri” group morphed into today’s IBI.   Tom Miles is the most recent past-chair of IBI. )
(The ‘Terra Preta “ list soon (2007?) morphed into today's Biochar list - with several now-disappeared sub-parts (policy for one)  I think we can say maybe 8 biochar lists by 2007.
e.  Now in 2021 ( 25 years after the first discussion of charcoal on a Miles  list), we are up to about 1000 members I believe - and happy at “IO”.  So (for historians), IO is about Miles-Biochar list #10
(IBI has no similar list;  daughter group USBI (Miles as its long-time chair) loosely claims this IO list)
5.   I guess there are maybe 10 more non-Miles lists covering only biochar topics regularly.
(guess their total membership is still under 1000)
6.   There must be another 10 lists where biochar is a major sub-part.
(I have chosen to follow the google list called CDR for short.  Long form is carbon dioxide removal.   The CDR list itself broke away from an earlier list called “geoengineering”, but the word “biochar” still occurs occasionally (and importantly) on the “geo’ list.  Must be an average of 2 or 3 CDR messages per day containing the word “biochar”.  In the early days of GEO, there were about that many per month.)

Anyone care to correct or add to this short biochar list history?  Or on how many biochar list subcategories there will be in anther 10 and 25 years?  I predict maybe 5 and 10 doublings.  This roughly the same as the biochar production doublings at the 10 and 25 year marks.

Apologies for getting so far off the list name topic.

Ron

;

Ron

henry buehler

Mar 13, 2021, 11:12:26 AM3/13/21
to bio...@googlegroups.com
Biochar Soils.....Husbandry of whole new orders & Kingdoms of life

Biotic Carbon, the carbon transformed by life, should never be combusted, oxidized and destroyed. It deserves more respect, reverence even, and understanding to use it back to the soil where 2/3 of excess atmospheric carbon originally came from.

We all know we are carbon-centered life, we seldom think about the complex web of recycled bio-carbon which is the true center of life. A cradle to cradle, mutually co-evolved biosphere reaching into every crack and crevice on Earth.

It's hard for most to revere microbes and fungus, but from our toes to our gums (onward), their balanced ecology is our health. The greater earth and soils are just as dependent, at much longer time scales. Our farming for over 10,000 years has been responsible for 2/3rds of our excess greenhouse gases. This soil carbon, converted to carbon dioxide, Methane & Nitrous oxide began a slow stable warming that now accelerates with burning of fossil fuel. Agriculture allowed our cultural accent and Agriculture will now prevent our descent.

Wise Land management; Organic farming and afforestation can build back our soil carbon,

Biochar allows the soil food web to build much more recalcitrant organic carbon, ( living biomass & Glomalins) in addition to the carbon in the biochar.

Biochar, the modern version of an ancient Amazonian agricultural practice called Terra Preta (black earth, TP), is gaining widespread credibility as a way to address world hunger, climate change, rural poverty, deforestation, and energy shortages… SIMULTANEOUSLY!
Modern Pyrolysis of biomass is a process for Carbon Negative Bio fuels, massive Carbon sequestration, 80%-90% Lower Methane & N2O soil emissions, and 2X Fertility Too.
Every 1 ton of Biomass yields 1/3 ton Charcoal for soil Sequestration (= to 1 Ton CO2e) + Bio-Gas & Bio-oil fuels = to 1MWh exported electricity, so is a totally virtuous, carbon negative energy cycle.

Biochar viewed as soil Infrastructure; The old saw;
"Feed the Soil Not the Plants" becomes;
"Feed, Cloth and House the Soil, utilities included !".
Free Carbon Condominiums with carboxyl group fats in the pantry and hydroxyl alcohol in the mini bar.
Build it and the Wee-Beasties will come.
Microbes like to sit down when they eat.
By setting this table we expand husbandry to whole new orders & Kingdoms of life.

This is what I try to get across to Farmers, as to how I feel about the act of returning carbon to the soil. An act of penitence and thankfulness for the civilization we have created. Farmers are the Soil Sink Bankers, once carbon has a price, they will be laughing all the way to it.

Dr. Scherr's report includes biochar. http://www.worldwatch.org/node/6124

I think we will be seeing much greater media attention for land management & biochar as reports like her's come out linking the roll of agriculture and climate.

Unlike CCS which only reduces emissions, biochar systems draw down CO2 every energy cycle, closing a circle back to support the soil food web. The photosynthetic "capture" collectors are up and running, the "storage" sink is in operation just under our feet. Pyrolysis conversion plants are the only infrastructure we need to build out.

Another significant aspect of bichar and aerosols are the low cost ($3) Biomass cook stoves that produce char but no respiratory disease. http://terrapretapot.org/ and village level systems http://biocharfund.org/ with the Congo Basin Forest
Fund (CBFF). The Biochar Fund recently won $300K for these systems citing these priorities;
(1) Hunger amongst the world's poorest people, the subsistence farmers of Sub-Saharan Africa,
(2) Deforestation resulting from a reliance on slash-and-burn farming,
(3) Energy poverty and a lack of access to clean, renewable energy, and
(4) Climate change.

There are dozens soil researchers on the subject now at USDA-ARS.
and many studies at The up coming ASA-CSSA-SSSA joint meeting;
http://a-c-s.confex.com/crops/2009am/webprogram/Session5675.htm

Major Endorsements:

Senator / Secretary of Interior Ken Salazar has done the most to nurse this biofuels system in his Biochar provisions in the 07 & 08 farm bill,
http://www.biochar-international.org/newinformationevents/newlegisl...

NASA's Dr. James Hansen Global warming solutions paper and letter to the G-8 conference, placing Biochar / Land management the central technology for carbon negative energy systems.
http://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/0804/0804.1126.pdf

Dr. James Lovelock (Gaia hypothesis) says Biochar is "The only hope for mankind"

Charles Mann ("1491") in the Sept. National Geographic has a wonderful soils article which places Terra Preta / Biochar soils center stage.
http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2008/09/soil/mann-text

Bill & Hilary Clinton honor Biochar producer;
Mantria Industries inducted in Clinton Global Initiative
http://www.mantria.com/eg_presidential_video.shtml

Al Gore got the CO2 absorption thing wrong, ( at NABC Vilsack did same), but his focus on Soil Carbon is right on;
http://www.newsweek.com/id/220552/page/3

Tony Blair & Richard Branson in the UK and conservative party opposition leader John Turnbull in Oz.

Building Soil Carbon is the bond that unities all political persuasions,

Soil Carbon Sequestration Standards Committee. Hosted by Monsanto, this group of diverse interests has been hammering out issues of definition, validation and protocol. These past months, this group have been pressing soil sequestration's roll for climate legislation to congress.
http://www.novecta.com/documents/Carbon-Standard.pdf

Along these lines internationally, the work of the IBI fostering the application by 20 countries for UN recognition of soil carbon as a sink with biochar as a clean development mechanism will open the door for programs across the globe.
http://www.biochar-international.org/biocharpolicy.html.

Reports:

United Nations Environment Programme, Climate Change Science Compendium 2009
http://www.unep.org/compendium2009/
http://www.unep.org/compendium2009/PDF/Ch5_compendium2009.pdf

Congressional Research Service report (by analyst Kelsi Bracmort) is the best short summary I have seen so far - both technical and policy oriented.
http://assets.opencrs.com/rpts/R40186_20090203.pdf .

This is the single most comprehensive report to date, covering more of the Asian and Australian work;
http://www.csiro.au/files/files/poei.pdf

Biochar data base;
TP-REPP
http://terrapreta.bioenergylists.org/?q=node

Disscusion Groups;
The group home page location, General orientation:
Biochar POLICY;
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/biochar-policy
Biochar Soils;
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/biochar-soils/
Biochar Production;
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/biochar-production/

Earth Science Terra Preta Forum;
Terra Preta - Science Forums

Given the current "Crisis" atmosphere concerning energy, soil sustainability, food vs. Biofuels, and Climate Change what other subject addresses them all?

This is a Nano technology for the soil that represents the most comprehensive, low cost, and productive approach to long term stewardship and sustainability.

Carbon to the Soil, the only ubiquitous and economic place to put it.
Cheers,
Erich

Erich J. Knight
Eco Technologies Group Technical Adviser
Shenandoah Gardens (Owner)
1047 Dave Barry Rd.
McGaheysville, VA. 22840
540 289 9750
Co-Administrator, Biochar Data base & Discussion list TP-REPP

The broad smiles of 1500 subsistence farmers say it all ( that , and the size of the Biochar corn root balls )
http://biocharfund.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=55...
Mark my words;
Given the potential for Laurens Rademaker's programs to grow exponentialy, only a short time lies between This man's nomination for a Noble Prize.
He recently received the Manchester prize.

This PNAS report (by a Nobel lariat) should cause the Royal Society to rethink their report that criticised Biochar systems sequestration potential;
Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences
Reducing abrupt climate change risk using
the Montreal Protocol and other regulatory
actions to complement cuts in CO2 emissions
http://www.pnas.org/content/early/2009/10/09/0902568106.full.pdf+ht...

Senator Baucus is co-sponsoring a bill along with Senator Tester (D-MT) called WE CHAR. Water Efficiency via Carbon Harvesting and Restoration Act! It focuses on promoting biochar technology to address invasive species and forest biomass. It includes grants and loans for biochar market research and development, biochar characterization and environmental analyses. It directs USDI and USDA to provide loan guarantees for biochar technologies and on-the-ground production with an emphasis on biomass from public lands. And the USGS is to do biomas availability assessments.
WashingtonWatch.com - S. 1713, The Water Efficiency via Carbon Harvesting and Restoration (WECHAR) Act of 2009

http://www.washingtonwatch.com/bills/show/111_SN_1713.html#commentf...

Individual and groups can show support for WECHAR (discussed more
fully on other posts) by signing online at:
www.biocharmatters.org
http://www.biocharmatters.org/

The Clean Energy Partnerships Act of 2009
The bill is designed to ensure that any US domestic cap-and-trade bill provides maximum incentives and opportunities for the US agricultural and forestry sectors to provide high-quality offsets and GHG emissions reductions for credit or financial incentives. Carbon offsets play a critical role in keeping the costs of a cap-and-trade program low for society as well as for capped sectors and entities, while providing valuable emissions reductions and income generation opportunities for the agricultural sector. The bill specifically identifies biochar production and use as eligible for offset credits, and identifies biochar as a high priority for USDA R&D, with funding authorized by the bill.
To read the full text of the bill, go to: http://www.biochar-international.org/sites/default/files/END09F94.p...

Alex Fiedler

Mar 15, 2021, 7:58:02 AM3/15/21
to bio...@googlegroups.com
Thanks I have subscribed.  See you over there.

Alex Fiedler
Business Development Manager
M: 0497 770 283

Alex Fiedler

Mar 15, 2021, 7:58:10 AM3/15/21
to bio...@googlegroups.com, Bio...@groups.io, Nando, Tom Miles
Much appreciated Ron

I have joined the IO group now and hope to see you there.

I submit that the outline you've given here merits a post on the group.