Feature wish: access code instead of name and idea for a solution

Reimar Bauer

May 18, 2022, 4:29:00 AM5/18/22
to bigblueb...@googlegroups.com
Hi there,

I have no idea why or how users can get the option to enter twice the access code. First in the access code field, second in the name field. Perhaps it gets not cleared for the second one, or some autofill mechanism?

Anyway I think we could have a simple comparison, and enable join only if the second one is not the access code? Or also write a message to the user to enter a valid user name?

best regards
Reimar

Martin Thomas Schrott

May 18, 2022, 5:04:33 AM5/18/22
to bigblueb...@googlegroups.com, Reimar Bauer

Hi,

I am not sure what you try to explain, but maybe you mean:

users should not be able to enter the accesscode in the name input field.

Correct?

If accesscodes are numbers only, this could be done by not allowing names that do not contain any letter.

#if accesscodes can be alphanumeric this cannot be prevented I fear.

cheers

Martin

Reimar Bauer

May 19, 2022, 2:36:31 AM5/19/22
to Martin Thomas Schrott, bigblueb...@googlegroups.com
Hi

On Wed, May 18, 2022 at 11:04 AM Martin Thomas Schrott <li...@mtsonline.at> wrote:

Hi,

I am not sure what you try to explain, but maybe you mean:

users should not be able to enter the accesscode in the name input field.

Correct?

Yes, we had yesterday three users with the name set to the access code.

If accesscodes are numbers only, this could be done by not allowing names that do not contain any letter.

#if accesscodes can be alphanumeric this cannot be prevented I fear.

access codes are numerical and of course I assume no one's name is identical to an access code.
If both input values are compared True we can disable the join button and tell that the input field is for the name.

Since this input error happens regularly, we should take this as a hint to improve the user interface.
It is not obvious that the first input was already successful. I guess people think it didn't work and enter it again.

We should also think about whether numbers for the name field as first char are allowed.
This can get confusing if breakout rooms are used and one enters the main room by name "1"
Then the user's placeholder icon changes when he joins breakout room 2 to "2".
And if he didn't join a break out room the indicator looks like he has.

cheers
Reimar

elem hsb

May 19, 2022, 3:45:49 PM5/19/22
to bigblueb...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

only joining a room if (access-code != username) solves the issue on ui (greenlight) level.