Kurento usage

Brent W. Baccala

May 4, 2022, 1:35:34 PM5/4/22
to BigBlueButton-dev
Hi -

I'm working on a pull request to allow BBB clients on the same private network as the BBB server, and I've got just about everything working other than IPv6 and Listen-Only.

IPv6 is a different story.

Listen-Only seems to be failing because Kurento only works with its external IP address.  Listen-Only times out on Kurento, then falls back to FreeSWITCH (which works).

My question is, is Listen-Only the only thing that Kurento is being used for?  Seems a little hard to believe, but webcams and screen sharing are working fine.

    agape
    brent

Paulo Lanzarin

May 4, 2022, 1:57:19 PM5/4/22
to bigblueb...@googlegroups.com
Which BBB version is that?

Brent W. Baccala

May 4, 2022, 2:32:51 PM5/4/22
to BigBlueButton-dev
It's 2.5.0-beta.2.

Paulo Lanzarin

May 4, 2022, 3:09:58 PM5/4/22
to bigblueb...@googlegroups.com
Kurento is not used for anything other than recordings, then.
mediasoup should be responsible for webcams, listen only and screen sharing unless you've
explicitly altered default configurations.

You can also add multiple client-facing IPs in /etc/bigbluebutton/bbb-webrtc-sfu/production.yml, eg.:
```
mediasoup:
  webrtc:
    listenIps:
      - ip: "0.0.0.0"
        announcedIp: "pubIPv4"
      - ip: "0.0.0.0"
        announcedIp: "privIPv4"
```

Then restart.

Please attach console logs and a about:webrtc/chrome:webrtc-internals dump (opened prior to
negotiation) for further debugging if that doesn't work.

Paulo Lanzarin

May 4, 2022, 3:12:19 PM5/4/22
to bigblueb...@googlegroups.com
You might also want to explicitly configure the IP used for connecting FS <-> mediasoup internally.
It comes pre-configured by packaging (may be incorrect) and bbb-install (correct for regular internet
setups
).

If that's the case, you're looking into:
```
mediasoup:
  plainRtp:
    listenIp:
      ip: "0.0.0.0"
      announcedIp: "<appropriate IP for internal UDP connections between FS and mediasoup>"
```

in the same configuration file I mentioned in my last email.

Brent W. Baccala

May 6, 2022, 7:02:37 PM5/6/22
to BigBlueButton-dev
Yes, the settings in default.yml seem to have been the issue.

The problem was not connecting to mediasoup from the client, but as you said, connecting FS<->mediasoup internally.

The current standard settings seem to rely on having the machine's public facing IP address configured on a dummy interface, since the freeswitch configuration is build for NAT translated access.  Or maybe not; I don't understand it completely.

Since I've now got two SIP profiles for public and private network addresses, I needed to set mediasoup to use the private address profile and a local address to connect to freeswitch.

Both listen only and microphone now work, on both private and public addresses.  Only IPv6 continues to be a problem.

    agape
    brent