[BEP001] acq- vs part- keys

Kirstie Whitaker

Jul 13, 2018, 12:32:05 PM7/13/18
to bids-di...@googlegroups.com
Hi BIDS community & BEP 001 devs,

There's a question that Michael Harms has added as a comment to the BEP001 proposal that I'd like to move forwards a decision on.

Here's a link to the comment but I've copied and pasted it here:

> Is the _part tag new to this extension? (I didn't find mention of it in the main spec). What does "part" stand for? Couldn't this be handled via the already existing _rec tag (e.g, _rec-magn and _rec-phase)?

Here's the template, copied from the BEP001 extension (link):

Template:

sub-<participant_label>/[ses-<session_label>/]

anat/

Here's the description of the part- tag from the BEP001 proposal (link):

> The optional key [_part-<phase|mag>] allows for storing phase and magnitude images. In its absence the image is assumed to be magnitude.

And here's the decription of the rec- tag from the BIDS specification (link):

> Similarly the OPTIONAL “rec-<label>” key/value can be used to distinguish different reconstruction algorithms (for example ones using motion correction)

Any thoughts on whether we need part- or whether rec- would suffice?

It looks like we definitely would need to update the definition of rec- in the main BIDS spec to be a little clearer about what it means, but I don't have strong feelings either way!

Kx

--
Kirstie Whitaker, PhD

Research Fellow, Alan Turing Institute
Research Associate, University of Cambridge

Mailing Address
Brain Mapping Unit
Department of Psychiatry
Sir William Hardy Building
Downing Street
Cambridge CB2 3EB

Phone: +44 7583 535 307
Website: https://whitakerlab.github.io
Twitter: @kirstie_j

Chris Gorgolewski

Jul 13, 2018, 11:07:13 PM7/13/18
to bids-discussion
One thing to consider here is that values of rec are currently free form and proposed part would be controlled vocabulary with two possible values "phase" and "mag". Thus I think in this case part makes more sense.

Best,
Chris

--
We are all colleagues working together to shape brain imaging for tomorrow, please be respectful, gracious, and patient with your fellow group members.

Harms, Michael

Jul 17, 2018, 11:33:11 AM7/17/18
to bids-di...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

What exactly is “part” intended to convey?  To me, “phase” and “mag” are different types of recons, and thus most naturally related to the “rec” tag.

Cheers,

-MH

--

Michael Harms, Ph.D.

Associate Professor of Psychiatry

Department of Psychiatry, Box 8134

660 South Euclid Ave.                        Tel: 314-747-6173

St. Louis, MO  63110                          Email: mha...@wustl.edu

Pamela LaMontagne

Jul 18, 2018, 11:08:31 AM7/18/18
to bids-discussion
For SWI the mag and phase are different parts of input to the SWI image which can be reconstructed on the scanner or in separate software. They are not actually reconstructions in this case

To post to this group, send email to
bids-discussion@googlegroups.com.

We are all colleagues working together to shape brain imaging for tomorrow, please be respectful, gracious, and patient with your fellow group members.

Harms, Michael

Jul 18, 2018, 11:11:54 AM7/18/18
to bids-di...@googlegroups.com

But they *could* in principle be recons on the scanner.  My 2c is that a proliferation of tags specific to each MR modality is not conducive to harmony across the specification as a whole.

Cheers,

-MH

--

bids-di...@googlegroups.com.

We are all colleagues working together to shape brain imaging for tomorrow, please be respectful, gracious, and patient with your fellow group members.

We are all colleagues working together to shape brain imaging for tomorrow, please be respectful, gracious, and patient with your fellow group members.
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/bids-discussion/693aeead-6d1e-4149-8423-c1fa2b81da90%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit
https://groups.google.com/d/optout.