RIP Harris

bplists

Aug 14, 2021, 3:02:29 PM8/14/21
to bicycletouring@googlegroups. com
I'm sure some of you frequented Sheldon Brown's website and even purchased some things from Harris.  I went there today and found it closed in June.

news story:

https://www.nbcboston.com/news/local/decades-old-bike-shop-in-massachusetts-closes-its-doors/2415140/

Roger Noehren

Aug 14, 2021, 5:16:45 PM8/14/21
to bplists, bicycletouring@googlegroups. com
That's sad, especially for their local customers. I hope that Sheldon Brown's website stays up, because it is an excellent resource whichI consult frequently.

Gary Gilbert

Aug 14, 2021, 5:37:33 PM8/14/21
to Roger Noehren, bplists, bicycle...@googlegroups.com
According to WhoIs, Someone named Harriet Fell at the College of Computer Science of Northeastern University in Boston Ma currently owns the Sheldon Brown website.

Sent from my iPhone

Adam K

Aug 14, 2021, 5:43:21 PM8/14/21
to bplists, bicycletouring@googlegroups. com
Sad to hear. I've bought a few things from there over the years. Harris used to have some items not  available readily at LBS's. I hope Sheldon's pages remain online, what a wealth of information they are!

AdamK
Sidney, BC

Aug 14, 2021, 6:34:23 PM8/14/21
to bplists, bicycletouring@googlegroups. com
The Sheldon Brown web site will continue to be available through his wife, Harriet Fell, and John Allen.

If you'd like some background and more information, you can listen to my podcast from June 26th with both Harriet and John.  https://outspokencyclist.com/2021/06/show-561-june-26-2021/

Best regards,

Diane Jenks

bplists

Aug 14, 2021, 6:51:52 PM8/14/21
to bicycle...@googlegroups.com

whi...@vineyard.net

Aug 15, 2021, 3:09:04 PM8/15/21
to Adam K, bplists, bicycletouring@googlegroups. com

Very sad.

I have never met Sheldon in person but have spoken with him quite a few times on the phone. Bearded with a helmet adorned with feathers, I've been asked if I was Sheldon Brown a couple of dozen times. Sheldon said that we were "brothers from a different mother." It was a big joke. The last time was 18 months after Sheldon had passed away. Sitting in front of Dairy Queen with my kids and our bicycle built for 3 this guy rode by on the bike path out front of the Dairy Queen and called out, "Hey Sheldon." He came back a few minutes later and asked, "You are Sheldon Brown? I gave the news about Shedon

The last time I spoke with Sheldon he said that he had solved the issue of us being confused for each other. That got me laughing as I said "Oh Yeah?"

He said that he had dyed his beard pick.

I hope that we never loose all that he has shared with us.

David

Martha's Vineyard.