USFM \qt … \qt* and or \+add … \+add* question

Eric Chapman

Apr 8, 2022, 8:39:00 PM4/8/22
to Teus Benschop

Hello, all.

I have the following USFM markup:

\v 6 \f + \fr 118:6 \ft „VIEŠPATS …“ – žr. Hbr 13:6.\f*\qt VIEŠPATS \add yra\add* už mane – aš nebijosiu! Ką gali man padaryti žmogus?\qt*

It shows this in Preview:

What am I doing wrong? I want everything from \qt to \qt* to be marked as a quotation, and I want only "yra" to be italicized. However, I have no idea if \qt … \qt* is working right, and I'm sure the italics are not right.

Thank you!
Eric

Teus Benschop

Apr 9, 2022, 10:22:57 AM4/9/22
to bibledit...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, 9 Apr 2022 at 02:39, Eric Chapman <ben...@etchapman.org> wrote:
\v 6 \f + \fr 118:6 \ft „VIEŠPATS …“ – žr. Hbr 13:6.\f*\qt VIEŠPATS \add yra\add* už mane – aš nebijosiu! Ką gali man padaryti žmogus?\qt*

It shows this in Preview:

What am I doing wrong? I want everything from \qt to \qt* to be marked as a quotation, and I want only "yra" to be italicized. However, I have no idea if \qt … \qt* is working right, and I'm sure the italics are not right.

Hello Eric,

Here is where the \qt is defined in USFM 3.0:

The example shows that if there is a need to mark the quotation with the help of quotation marks, then these quotation marks are to be added in the USFM code itself.

The example in the link shows that they have put \qt text in italics. Bibledit too has the default style of the \qt in italics. You may edit your stylesheet to undo the italics.

Teus.

Michael Johnson

Apr 9, 2022, 12:45:56 PM4/9/22
to bibledit...@googlegroups.com
Hello, Eric.

What you are doing wrong is documented at https://ubsicap.github.io/usfm/characters/nesting.html.
In short, you need to change "\add yra\add*" to "\+add yra\+add*" in the example, below, because the add markup is nested within qt markup.
This was also the main source of your confusion for the change notices you received, because in the flood of markup, you missed the "+" signs.

My apologies for the confusing markup rules, but I didn't make them, and I don't like them. Still, they are required by Paratext and the Digital Bible Library.

Aloha,
Michael Johnson

26 HIWALANI LOOP • MAKAWAO HI 96768-8747
• USA
mljohnson.orgeBible.orgWorldEnglish.BiblePNG.Bible
Signal/Telegram/WhatsApp/Telephone: +1 808-333-6921
Skype: kahunapule • Telegram/Twitter: @kahunapule • Facebook: fb.me/kahunapule

Eric Chapman

Apr 12, 2022, 1:31:17 PM4/12/22
to Teus Benschop

I wanted to follow up on this to let everyone know my level of understanding has increased by one increment :)

I have changed the stylesheet so \qt … \qt* is not italicized, but shown in blue. That way I can tell if \add … \add* is being handled correctly by looking at the preview. With italics for both it's impossible for me to distinguish between them.

Thanks for all your input.

Eric