BerkeleyLUG meetup this Sunday 2020-03-08 at Cafe Blue Door

1 view

goossbears

Mar 5, 2020, 9:23:24 AM3/5/20
to BerkeleyLUG
Hey everyone,

Timely reminder here that the first BerkeleyLUG
meetup of the month and very last one of
Winter Season 2019-2020 is this upcoming
Sunday, March 8th, "officially" happening from
11am to 2pm Pacific **Daylight Saving** Time
at Berkeley's Cafe Blue Door.
**Yep, we move our clocks and watches one
hour *forward* on Sunday, March 8, 2020, at
or (ideally) much much earlier than 2:00:00am!

The time and dates of meetups are also viewable
at www.berkeleylug.com/meetings
Unofficially, some of the BerkeleyLUG participants
have regularly hung-around at past meetups, working on
various projects and/or engaging in discussion/training
even well past the "official" ending-time.

Cafe Blue Door is located at 2244 Bancroft Way;
across the street from Cal's Edwards Stadium near
the extreme Southwestern corner of the campus.
Also see its Yelp page at https://www.yelp.com/biz/cafe-blue-door-berkeley
and its Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/BerkeleyFloorCafe/
When you enter the front door of the cafe, look
around for a gathering of other recognizable Linux
aficionados sitting around the large table with laptops
and other small computing devices as well as for the
small sign indicating the presence of the group.

Those of you dropping by this Sunday for the meetup are
welcome to bring along extra surge-protected power
strips and long, grounded extension cords for powering
the various computing devices you're bringing along with
you, duly taking into account the cafe's power-outlet
and space constraints surrounding the large table.
As before, we would kindly request that all meetup
attendees please accommodate everyone else present
at the table even including non-BerkeleyLUG patrons
at the Cafe.

Thanks, Cheers and See ya' there!
-A

tom r lopes

Mar 5, 2020, 11:59:53 PM3/5/20
to berke...@googlegroups.com
And off-topic but perhaps of interest to the group.

The day before the meeting: Fixit Clinic at South Branch of the Berkeley Library from noon to 3.
Should be very interesting the Berkeley Fixit are usually well attended.

Thomas

Michael Paoli

Mar 8, 2020, 2:02:03 PM3/8/20
to BerkeleyLUG
And some of us here already, slightly early.
You did make your civil clock adjustments as required by local law, right?
Fortunately, Linux/Unix/BSD/... pretty much handles that automagically.

And yes, have space, AC power, Wi-Fi, Internet*.
*have IPv4, but not IPv6 - from the venue's complimentary Wi-Fi,
there may be other Wi-Fi in range (marginally) that also has
IPv6: CalVisitor

> From: goossbears <acoh...@gmail.com>
> Subject: BerkeleyLUG meetup this Sunday 2020-03-08 at Cafe Blue Door
> Date: Thu, 5 Mar 2020 06:23:24 -0800 (PST)

> Hey everyone,
>
> Timely reminder here that the first BerkeleyLUG
> meetup of the month and very last one of
> Winter Season 2019-2020 is this upcoming
> Sunday, March 8th, "officially" happening from
> 11am to 2pm Pacific **Daylight Saving** Time
> at Berkeley's Cafe Blue Door.
> **Yep, we move our clocks and watches one
> hour **forward** on Sunday, March 8, 2020, at

ace36

Mar 8, 2020, 3:40:18 PM3/8/20
to BerkeleyLUG
On Sun, Mar 8, 2020 at 11:02 AM Michael Paoli <Michae...@cal.berkeley.edu> wrote:
And yes, have space, AC power, Wi-Fi, Internet*.
*have IPv4, but not IPv6 - from the venue's complimentary Wi-Fi,
there may be other Wi-Fi in range (marginally) that also has
IPv6: CalVisitor

Bit of a slight connection conniption with the Cafe's ISP (Comcast/XFinity) though, as Michael P explained to those of us currently here at the Cafe.
-A

When you must stand up for something important in the face of those who would readily cut you down, then you must continually remind yourself of the words of the great Mahatma Gandhi,

"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win."
---

Michael Paoli

Mar 8, 2020, 5:01:03 PM3/8/20
to BerkeleyLUG
Well, there was some glitch for a while with the cafe's Wi-Fi ... but
only impacted some access. Also looks like that cleared after a bit.
Also appears the issue(s) may have been entirely within Comcast (venue's
upstream ISP) ... notably for fair while saw an intra-Comcast issue - which
later cleared, and the other issues also appeared cleared after that too.

tom r lopes

Mar 8, 2020, 7:54:16 PM3/8/20
to berke...@googlegroups.com
Yes good meeting but for the little network glitch.

This day I installed Ubuntu 20.04 on an Asus chromebox CN60.  It is a little box
kinda like a NUC. This one is the "Chromebox for Meetings" so better specs
(I7 cpu 4GB ram) than the normal model.

Background:  ChromeOs devices use the Coreboot firmware.  But it has the OS
locked down in the firmware.  I think some newer devices have the capability in
Coreboot to dual boot another OS in Legacy mode.  But the firmware loads
ChromeOs directly without BIOS or UEFI.  Google has the firmware files free
for download and so people have them modified to install other OS.
mrchrombox.tech
So to install an OS you need a Coreboot image with an interface for the OS.
For UEFI there is an open source implementation called "tianocore" and for
Legacy BIOS there is "seabios"

Steps:

Enable "developer" mode.  This allows root access (but enabling this mode
wipes all data)  Here it is pressing the little reset button near SD card slot
while powering on.

Disable firmware write protect.  Here you remove a screw on the motherboard.
Then you can flash the new firmware.

Boot into Developer mode and connect to the netowrk (WIFI)  Then  open a
virtual terminal like you would in Ubuntu.  Ctrl+Alt+F2.  Login as the system
user (user: chronos with blank password)  I did a "sudo su" to become root.
I don't know if you can flash firmware from chronos user.

Download setup-kodi.sh from mrchromebox.tech and run it.  Can do a bunch
of stuff (like install Kodi) but has an option to install firmware.  Let it do it's
stuff and reboot.

At Coreboot logo press any key and get the boot option screen.  Now you can
select your USB with OS and install.

So now I have a nice little machine running Ubuntu 20.04!
Maybe next time I'll do my chromebook.

Note: this only works for x86 hardware.  Arm devices not supported, sorry.

Thomas