BerkeleyLUG meetup next Sunday -- Thoughts on Cancellation?

goossbears

Mar 16, 2020, 12:31:33 AM3/16/20
to BerkeleyLUG
Hey all,
By now most/all of you reading this have also viewed the series of mailing-list thread(s) here regarding Michael P's announcement here 'BALUG: Tu 2020-03-17 meeting CANCELLED (COVID-19)!; & other BALUG News'; http://linuxmafia.com/pipermail/sf-lug/2020q1/014612.html

Besides Rick M's keen and prolific insights regarding COVID-19 and the BALUG meeting cancellation, what do others of you who've regularly attended BerkeleyLUG's meetups think of cancelling next Sunday's BerkeleyLUG meetup at Cafe Blue Door?

Don't myself know of any pending closures or reduced hours of Cafe Blue Door (so please inform if/when things change at the Cafe), but did see today's CDC release 'Interim Guidance for Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)' at https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/community/large-events/mass-gatherings-ready-for-covid-19.html
Part of the release that might perhaps be applicable to Cafe Blue Door (as a regular hangout for Cal students) is ...
CDC, in accordance with its guidance for large events and mass gatherings, recommends that for the next 8 weeks, organizers (whether groups or individuals) cancel or postpone in-person events that consist of 50 people or more throughout the United States.

Events of any size should only be continued if they can be carried out with adherence to guidelines for protecting vulnerable populations, hand hygiene, and social distancing.  When feasible, organizers could modify events to be virtual.

Other potentially relevant links within today's CDC Interim Guidance release are
- vulnerable populations, https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/specific-groups/high-risk-complications.html
- hand hygiene and social distancing, https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prepare/prevention.html
- schools, institutes of higher learning, or businesses, https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/community/index.html

So again, besides Rick M's keen and prolific insights regarding COVID-19 and the BALUG meeting cancellation, what do others of you who've regularly attended BerkeleyLUG's meetups think of cancelling next Sunday's BerkeleyLUG meetup at Cafe Blue Door?

Thanks for all of your input(s) on this!

-Aaron

Rick Moen

Mar 16, 2020, 8:46:32 PM3/16/20
to BerkeleyLUG
Quoting goossbears (acoh...@gmail.com):

> Besides Rick M's keen and prolific insights regarding COVID-19 and the
> BALUG meeting cancellation, what do *others* of you who've regularly
> attended BerkeleyLUG's meetups think of cancelling next Sunday's
> BerkeleyLUG meetup at Cafe Blue Door?

Pardon the intrusion (and I second your invitation that _others_ also
speak), but ARAIK today's simultaneous order by health authorities in
all six Bay Area counties (including Alameda) orders the cessation,
starting midnight tonight and extending until April 7th, of all
in-restaurant food/drink service. Restaurants will, for the duration,
be permitted only to operate for purposes of delivery / takout.

So, unless I've greatly misunderstood today's order, Cafe Blue Door will
not be permitting customers to sit down at tables inside the
establishment (assuming they remain open for business at all -- it's
likely that many restaurants are simply going to close down for the time
being).

Here's Alameda County's version of the six counties' coordinated order
(but AFAIK they're identical):
http://acphd.org/media/559658/health-officer-order-shelter-in-place-20200316.pdf

Michael Paoli

Mar 16, 2020, 9:46:21 PM3/16/20
to BerkeleyLUG
No in-person meeting - the county has mandated that choice for us.

IRC - for those who wish, see:
https://berkeleylug.com/berkeleylug/
Some of us may meet on-line during the regular time slot - but no
in-person meeting.

> From: goossbears <acoh...@gmail.com>
> Subject: BerkeleyLUG meetup next Sunday -- Thoughts on Cancellation?
> Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2020 21:31:33 -0700 (PDT)

> Hey all,
> By now most/all of you reading this have also viewed the series of
> mailing-list thread(s) here regarding Michael P's announcement here 'BALUG:
> Tu 2020-03-17 meeting CANCELLED (COVID-19)!; & other BALUG News';
> http://linuxmafia.com/pipermail/sf-lug/2020q1/014612.html
>
> Besides Rick M's keen and prolific insights regarding COVID-19 and the
> BALUG meeting cancellation, what do *others* of you who've regularly
> So again, *besides* Rick M's keen and prolific insights regarding COVID-19

goossbears

Mar 16, 2020, 10:28:20 PM3/16/20
to BerkeleyLUG
On Monday, March 16, 2020 at 6:46:21 PM UTC-7, Michael Paoli wrote:
No in-person meeting - the county has mandated that choice for us.

Yes, also received the Alameda County Shelter-in-Place Order Nixle alert at https://local.nixle.com/alert/7872558/ earlier today.
Am now viewing the KCBS-SF news story 'Coronavirus Shelter-In-Place: Residents In 6 Bay Area Counties Ordered To Stay Home' at https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2020/03/16/coronavirus-shelter-in-place-bay-area-residents-6-counties-ordered-stay-home/ that's going to affect all of us in approximately 4 1/2 hours from now.

I'd also note that even if there wasn't a shelter-in-place order and Cafe Blue Door remained open for business this upcoming Sunday, it still wouldn't be that advisable, I think, to hold the live BerkeleyLUG meetup there because (at minimum)...
- there are at least two "older adults" (i.e., those over 65yrs old) who have attended BerkeleyLUG meetups in the recent past at Cafe Blue Door and who are at high risk for getting very sick from COVID-19 -- see the the CDC's vulnerable populations release at https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/specific-groups/high-risk-complications.html which I linked-to up above in my original Sunday night posting
- there is still uncertainty whether or not at least one BerkeleyLUG meetup attendee may possibly be harboring COVID-19.
Quoting Thomas L from his Mar 15 ~9:45 PM posting in the mailing-list thread 'BALUG: meeting: Tu 2020-03-17 DNS: Dynamic Update...' :
> ... For myself I don't know if it is just hypochondria or what
> but I cough a little.  No fever or anything else but there are
> people carrying the virus with little or no symptoms.
> I went to work Friday but left without starting just in case
> I'm a carrier.

IRC - for those who wish, see:
https://berkeleylug.com/berkeleylug/
Some of us may meet on-line during the regular time slot - but no
in-person meeting.

Just wondering how the masses of Bay Area Internet users now essentially forced to go online from their "in-place" home residences will be negatively affecting overall baseband (or broadband) throughput/speed, if at all??
Thoughts and/or advice on that??

-A

Rick Moen

Mar 16, 2020, 10:37:37 PM3/16/20
to BerkeleyLUG
Quoting goossbears (acoh...@gmail.com):

> I'd also note that even if there *wasn't *a shelter-in-place order and Cafe
> Blue Door remained open for business this upcoming Sunday, it still
> wouldn't be that advisable, I think, to hold the live BerkeleyLUG meetup
> there because [snip]

Quite so.

So, anyone want to set up a Jitsi instance, to host virtual meetings?
(If you're familiar with Zoom, it's competitive but open source. I
mean, it's Java, and I'm sure it's a bit of a pig for RAM suckage, but
it really is that good, and really is open source.)

Michael Paoli

Mar 22, 2020, 11:41:46 PM3/22/20
to BerkeleyLUG
> From: goossbears <acoh...@gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: no in-person meeting, --> IRC: Re: BerkeleyLUG meetup
> next Sunday -- Thoughts on Cancellation?
> Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2020 19:28:20 -0700 (PDT)

> Just wondering how the masses of Bay Area Internet users now essentially
> forced to go online from their "in-place" home residences will be
> negatively affecting overall baseband (or broadband) throughput/speed, if
> at all??
> Thoughts and/or advice on that??

I did see an item, pretty darn sure I saw it on reddit - but don't seem
to be able to track it down now. Anyway, it was an item on the changed
network traffic patterns. Some more diligent and thorough searches on
there can probably turn it up (and/or from other sources). As I recall,
at least approximately, in general:
o more of a shift from many major corporate networks & academic institutions
o more of a shift to "home" and similar networks (up about 20% I seem to
recall ... but not more than many other similar, but shorter peaks often
seen around various events
o (at least) most things are working okay, no major issues in terms of
networks, connectivity, etc.
I think there were some other distinctions in the report, article, but
that's approximately what I recall of it. I don't recall specific mention
of throughputs/speeds/latency - just more general traffic patterns mostly.