Re: Digest for berkeleylug@googlegroups.com - 1 update in 1 topic

1 view

Christian Peeples

May 10, 2020, 11:16:03 PM5/10/20
to berke...@googlegroups.com
Thomas:

     Thanks.  I really like Jitsi and having been using it for all my video conferencing.  Unfortunately, I get my Berkeleylug posts in digest form, so did not get the link.  When I try to go to the google group, it does not recognize my e-mail, so will not let me in, thus I could not attend the meeting.

-- Chris Peeples --

On Sunday, May 10, 2020, 11:11:10 AM UTC, <berke...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

tom r lopes <tomr...@gmail.com>: May 09 01:37PM -0700

Meeting Sunday May 10th 11am till whenever.

We will be using video conferencing by Jitsi.org. It is an open source
product unlike
Zoom, et al. It runs without an extra client on pc, using the web-rtc
feature built in
to any modern web browser (Firefox, Chrome)
The Jitsi organisation provides a free meeting server at meet.jit.si
Limited to 75 users
but unlimited in time.
On mobile, IOS or Android you will need to run an app. Go to meet.jit.si
to find the
appstore links.

Check your email around 11am tomorrow to get the room name. Most likely
berkeleylug.
(I'll check the room first in case someone has jacked it already. Remember
this completely
free not restricted to anyone) So go to meet.jit.si Enter the room
berkeleylug. Your browser
will ask you to allow camera and or microphone. You can be invisible
and/or silent as you
wish and/or revoke permissions. By default you are muted when you enter..
There is a
microphone icon on the bottom to unmute. Also pressing the space bar will
mute/unmute.

You can also participate by phone call. I'll provide the details Sunday.

Also realize tomorrow is Mother's Day. So there may be some service
congestion
problems.

Nice pdf guide here
https://www.dropbox.com/s/rg400vj5jreod3o/Latest%20Web%20Conference%20Guide%20-%20Jitsi_en-us.pdf?dl=0

Thomas

Rick Moen

May 10, 2020, 11:19:51 PM5/10/20
to berke...@googlegroups.com
Quoting 'Christian Peeples' via BerkeleyLUG (berke...@googlegroups.com):

> Thomas:
> Thanks.  I really like Jitsi and having been using it for all my video
> conferencing.  Unfortunately, I get my Berkeleylug posts in digest
> form, so did not get the link.  When I try to go to the google group,
> it does not recognize my e-mail, so will not let me in, thus I could
> not attend the meeting.

So, you're saying that's yet another in the lengthy list of reasons
one should avoid using digest mode on mailing lists, right?

--
Cheers, Lost my car phone.
Rick Moen -- Matt Watson (@biorhythmist)

Michael Paoli

May 11, 2020, 12:52:25 AM5/11/20
to BerkeleyLUG
Yes, digest mode will generally delay the receipt of list posting(s).

However, many lists - and including BerkelyLUG's, are publicly archived.
So, sure you won't get that email right away ... but if you can anticipate
it ...
> Date: Sat, 9 May 2020 13:37:25 -0700
> Subject: Virtual meeting tomorrow!
> Check your email around 11am tomorrow to get the room name

And we have:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/berkeleylug/1zBU7LfyUJE
> Date: Sun, 10 May 2020 10:56:50 -0700
> Subject: Meeting live now.
> Here:
> You are invited to join a meeting.
> Join the meeting:

And, getting there ... if one forgets ...
https://berkeleylug.com/
LIST / FORUM https://berkeleylug.com/googlegroup/
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/berkeleylug - if it's hassling
you to login or any silliness/annoyance like that, maybe try
browser in "Private Window", "Private Browsing" or "incognito"
mode or the like ... or on a way that one doesn't present a bunch of
cookies first (e.g. clear 'em all out).
Once there, pretty easy to browse the postings ... even search 'em.

Same general technique will work with most any publicly archived list.
But note also, depending on the list software, sometimes it takes a
wee bit for postings to show up in the archives (but for most it's
pretty fast ... like within minutes or so).

Even if one isn't subscribed in digest mode, same technique can sometimes
just be handier/faster way than checking email (e.g. if one has
browser on "smart" phone, but doesn't have email on or set up
there, or the email just isn't as quickly and easily accessible).

Oh, and DKIM (recently also discussed else-list, in context of
list software). Looks like Google Groups (the "list" BerkeleyLUG
is using), does munging of headers, around DKIM, not unlike what
mailman does. So, yeah, sending from a domain such as @yahoo.com
that doesn't play well with lists - lists that can and know how (and
may be configured to do so), do more header munging to work-around
some of DKIMs many problems. So, yes, email, from Chris Peeples ...,
but no where does the originator's email address show in any of the
more standard from/sender/reply-to related headers.
It's to be found only in some X- headers, and some ARC- and Received-
header(s).

Hmmm... maybe I'll peek again at some point and see how that compares
to the mailman munging around DKIM (at least for versions capable and
so configured).

But Google groups may also do some header munging beyond what's needed
"just" for working around some of the DKIM goop.

tom r lopes

May 11, 2020, 4:57:17 AM5/11/20
to berke...@googlegroups.com
Oh I am sorry Chris.

I had hoped that you would join us.   In fact I was thinking of you when I mentioned
installing the app in IOS.

I was reluctant to commit to a room until I'd verified it was safe.  I have read some
stories of people barging into some government meetings and causing trouble.
So I was wanting to make sure this was completely safe.

You can just assume that all meetings will be at meet.jit.si/berkeleylug

And I'll make sure to cc you on the confirmation email.  You know, If I have to choose
another room name.

Thomas

tom r lopes

May 11, 2020, 5:01:16 AM5/11/20
to berke...@googlegroups.com
I use digest mode for some lists.  When you have email notifications
enabled on your phone and something controversial happens on a list
it can get really annoying.

Thomas

Rick Moen

May 11, 2020, 3:00:22 PM5/11/20
to berke...@googlegroups.com
Quoting tom r lopes (tomr...@gmail.com):

> I use digest mode for some lists. When you have email notifications
> enabled on your phone and something controversial happens on a list
> it can get really annoying.

There are of course advantages. Whether the costs are too high depends
in part on whether you want timely delivery -- and those costs become
a lot higher if you post (and are various, starting with defaulting to a
meaningless Subject header like the one above).

--
Cheers, "He who laughs last, lasts."
Rick Moen -- Leo Rosten