BerkeleyLUG: First Virtual Meetup of the year this Sunday 2021-01-10

goossbears

Jan 8, 2021, 12:03:20 PM1/8/21
to BerkeleyLUG
Timely reminder here of the very first BerkeleyLUG meetup (virtual) of this Year 2021 as listed at https://berkeleylug.com/ and as per the schedule https://berkeleylug.com/meetings/

Virtual meetup starts at 11:00 am this Sunday, January 10th, and goes to 2:00 pm or however late people want to participate.

https://meet.jit.si/BerkeleyLUG
Dial-in: +1.512.647.1431 PIN: 1036 1972 20#

Best wishes that everyone'll stay safe and as healthy as possible for the entire year! :-)
-A

tom r lopes

Jan 9, 2021, 12:37:52 AM1/9/21
to berke...@googlegroups.com
So I'll have my first give away.

Free monitor. 2560x1440 dual link dvi.

This one: IPS Zero-G
I just upgraded to 4k so my old one is taking up space.
I had it connected up with a dual link dvi cable and it works perfectly.

This weekend I'll try it with a HDMI to DVI adapter and if it works I'll
include it.

Just let me know at the meeting how you want it delivered and we
can do Covid-safe drop-off.

There are more freebies coming up.

Thomas

Christian Peeples

Jan 9, 2021, 12:56:05 AM1/9/21
to berke...@googlegroups.com
Tom:

I’ll take it.  I can plug in to my new laptop.

-- Chris Peeples --
(c) +1-510-851-0968

Michael Paoli

Jan 9, 2021, 5:19:53 AM1/9/21
to BerkeleyLUG
Can also list stuff (giveaways and/or wanted) on:
https://www.wiki.balug.org/wiki/doku.php?id=balug:offered_wanted_hardware_etc
That may also be particularly handy for things that may take bit longer
to re-home and/or obtain. Can also reduce follow-up list traffic
(e.g. just see the web page for any status updates).

If you don't have a login to edit it, let me know and that can be arranged
(self-registration was disabled long ago due to endless repeated bot abuse
and other abuses).

> From: "tom r lopes" <tomr...@gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: BerkeleyLUG: First Virtual Meetup of the year this
> Sunday 2021-01-10
> Date: Fri, 8 Jan 2021 21:37:40 -0800

> So I'll have my first give away.
>
> Free monitor. 2560x1440 dual link dvi.
>
> This one: IPS Zero-G
> <https://us.amazon.com/Monoprice-IPS-ZERO-G-Slim-Monitor-WQHD-2560x1440/dp/B00DIGC6GO>

tom r lopes

Jan 9, 2021, 8:31:42 PM1/9/21
to berke...@googlegroups.com
Hey Chris. Thanks for the interest.

These give aways are not really "first response wins".

Person has to connect in a meeting and there were will discuss. I want it to be personal.

That said I think it is likely I'll give it to you but we will talk tomorrow.

Thomas

tom r lopes

Jan 9, 2021, 8:48:46 PM1/9/21
to berke...@googlegroups.com
Yes I remember that you have that wiki.

Right now I want the give away to be more of a person to person interaction.

Months I got a new computer chair. (actually the same model. It went on sale before the warrantee replacement armrests arrived). And I put it out hoping another resident would take it. Instead the house manager grabbed it and it has been in the Covid closed common area for the last 9 months. Nobody is using it

That is not what I want to happen.

Anyways I have more to give away. I will announce it on this list and you will have to join the jitsi meeting to claim

Thomas

tom r lopes

Jan 10, 2021, 11:22:00 PM1/10/21
to berke...@googlegroups.com
Giveaway recap:
The monitor was given to Chris.  Same day TomazonTM delivery.

Next meeting is Berkeley Pi and I will have up for grabs a Thinkpad X230

It's one of the Core I5 ones with 4GB ram and 180GB SSD.  New aftermarket
battery purchased last year.
I got it cheap because it had some issues, which didn't bother me but I will try
to remediate before the meeting.
1. Top left corner of the LCD back is loose.  (I think some stiff wire and epoxy will do.)
2.  LCD has some bright spots (not very noticeable.  Fix would require new panel and
I'm not going to do it, sorry, It's free, afterall!)
3.  Touchpad wasn't working when I got it.  Turned out the cable has a defect.  (I reinserted
the cable and it works, barely.  I will try to have it connect better.  If I can't do it I'll
order a new cable which means no TomazonTM same-day)
I expect it was a single drop incident that caused all 3 issues.

Meeting after I'll have one or two Core I5 touchscreen laptops 15"

Thomas

Christian Peeples

Jan 11, 2021, 12:51:50 AM1/11/21
to berke...@googlegroups.com