BerkeleyLUG meetup this Sunday 2019-06-09 at Cafe Blue Door (new place!)

goossbears

Jun 6, 2019, 4:29:26 PM6/6/19
to BerkeleyLUG
Hey everyone,

Timely reminder here that the first BerkeleyLUG
meetup of the month and very last one of Spring
2019, is this upcoming Sunday, June 9th,
"officially" happening from 12Noon to 3pm PDT at
our new place of Berkeley's Cafe Blue Door.
Cafe Blue Door's Yelp page is https://www.yelp.com/biz/cafe-blue-door-berkeley
and its Facebook page is https://www.facebook.com/BerkeleyFloorCafe/

The announcement of the move to the new place is at
https://berkeleylug.com/2019/06/04/new-location-cafe-blue-door/
and the time and dates of meetups are also viewable at
www.berkeleylug.com/meetings
Unofficially, some of the BerkeleyLUG participants
have regularly hung-on at past meetups, working on
various projects and/or engaging in discussion/training
even well past 3:00pm.

Cafe Blue Door is located at 2244 Bancroft Way;
across the street from Cal's Edwards Stadium near
the extreme Southwestern corner of the campus.
When you enter the front door of the cafe, look
around for a gathering of other recognizable Linux
aficionados with laptops and other small computing
devices as well as [hopefully] a table sign
indicating the presence of the group.

Please be aware that in the fairly recent past, thieves
have targeted Cafe Blue Door patrons for grabbing laptops;
e.g., see the February 2018 Berkeleyside news story
https://www.dailycal.org/2018/02/03/2-laptops-stolen-at-cafe-blue-door/
Therefore, meetup attendees might wish to exercise
more caution in watching over their devices than at our
past meetup locations.

Cheers!
-A

Michael Paoli

Jun 9, 2019, 2:53:31 PM6/9/19
to BerkeleyLUG
Two of us already arrived, have Internet* & power
$ date -Iseconds; wget -q -O - https://www.ipv4.balug.org/myip
https://www.ipv6.balug.org/myip
2019-06-09T11:45:58-07:00
71.202.15.97
$
*No IPv6, but have IPv4 (complimentary Wi-Fi NATed/SNATed)

Bonuses (compared to the former location):
o They're in business
o They're open
o The Wi-Fi doesn't suck (quite reliable and at least sufficiently fast)
o the food is better (and arguably the beverages)
o They have *two* restrooms, both are reported to have toilet paper, etc.
o etc. (we'll figure out what the other advantages/benefits are)

We've also got a fairly large table.

tom r lopes

Jun 10, 2019, 6:27:32 PM6/10/19
to berke...@googlegroups.com
Meeting went very well.

Noise at ok levels.

Good table arrangements.

Power available.

Close to AC transit.

Parking ok (now that school is not in session - but may be better than downtown in any case).

Table rent aka food and beverages ok.

Reports that WiFi was good (I didn't use it myself).

So Pi July on the 7th will be at Blue Door.
I have been gifted a Pi 3. Free to whoever wants it for Pi July. Comes with choice of red or clear case and I think an SD card. You will need to provide your own power supply. And it is very easy to set it up for headless mode.
Let me know if you want it.

Thomas

Michael Paoli

Jun 11, 2019, 5:21:14 AM6/11/19
to tom r lopes, BerkeleyLUG
> From: "tom r lopes" <tomr...@gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: BerkeleyLUG meetup this Sunday 2019-06-09 at Cafe Blue
> Door (new place!)
> Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2019 15:27:18 -0700

> So Pi July on the 7th will be at Blue Door.
> I have been gifted a Pi 3. Free to whoever wants it for Pi July. Comes with
> choice of red or clear case and I think an SD card. You will need to
> provide your own power supply. And it is very easy to set it up for
> headless mode.
> Let me know if you want it.

And yes, I'd be interested in that Pi. I've got a (much older) Pi,
and do quite have in mind a (mini-)project that actually requires 2 Pis.
So ... 2nd Pi would be highly useful for that. :-)