Berkeley Pi:

tom r lopes

May 3, 2020, 10:45:32 PM5/3/20
to berke...@googlegroups.com
Nice test of the Jitsi teleconference.  Though some people had trouble getting
video working.  But I have been able to have simultaneous connections to a room
with Chrome and Firefox.

So I'll be planing another virtual meeting for next week's Berkeley LUG.

But for Pi meetings I'll try to get a desk cam going instead of the laptop cam.
Because looking at projects would be better then looking at people thinking.
I wasn't able to get the deskcam working today.  I went to my friend's place
as I had some business there and brought a Pi4 and Zero and Pi cam and 3rd
party pi cam.  But both cams have the smaller Zero size connector.  So Pi4 is out
but then I didn't bring an otg for the Zero.  Argh!!

Anyways, SF-LUG is on first Sunday so I have decided to change Berkeley Pi to
third Sunday starting next month, June.

Thomas

Rick Moen

May 5, 2020, 3:22:32 PM5/5/20
to berke...@googlegroups.com
Quoting tom r lopes (tomr...@gmail.com):

> Nice test of the Jitsi teleconference. Though some people had trouble
> getting video working.

All over the world, many computer users who've never previously had
cause to debug their setups are spending most of their first
videoconference trying to figure out how to get their cameras going, or
to enable some microphone, or enable some sound device and adjust
volume, or how to cease introducing audio feedback, and so on.

It would be nice if they did this in a practice session before show
time, but human nature dictates that most people won't.

BTW, once a videoconference gets above a certain number of participants,
the odds that some unidentified participant will severely impair the
conference with an audio feedback loop approaches 100%. This is a
sufficient reason why the conference moderator should generally set the
default to join with microphone muted.

(I always use earbuds, which ensures that I'm never that guy who wrecks
the session with feedback. If not doing that, it's very strongly
suggested to keep one's microphone and speakers physically as far apart
as feasible.)