Pi.BerkeleyLUG: Next meeting this Sunday 19.07.2020

tom r lopes

Jul 16, 2020, 12:44:15 AM7/16/20
to berke...@googlegroups.com
meet.jit.si/berkeleypi
Dial-in: +1.512.647.1431 PIN: 2295 7834 33#

Sunday July 19 2020 from 11 am to ?

So Notice the new tag "Pi.BerkeleyLUG:"  If you want to keep these
messages from assailing your inbox, create a new filter.

I always like to have a project in mind before a meeting.  This time
I'm thinking maybe a small Linux raid file server.
At last SFLUG Rick Moen mentioned the RockPro 6.  Which has an
actual pci-e slot onboard.
I don't happen to have one of those but I do the NanoPi M4.  Which has

I'll see if I can scrounge up the M4 and SATA hat and work on it at the meeting.

Raspberry Pi CEO talks about having NVME (pci-e) on the upcoming Compute module 4
and maybe the Pi 4 A.  People have already hacked the Pi4 to expose pci-e

Pine 64:  The RockPro 64 people also have the Pinephone.  They just announced
a new "community edition" for pre-order.  The last one had UBports which is the
3rd party (community) continuation of  ‎Canonical's Ubuntu Touch.  This time the phone
has PostmarkOS.  Though you can install whatever you like.  Base phone is $150 plus
$25 shipping to US.  It is very much a beta product and so there isn't even any guarantees.
Might not be able to make and/or receive phonecalls.  (And you may wait months for it
to ship.)

If I can't  scrounge up the parts for the file server I'll work on making a Raspberry Pi
laptop.  I have a Thinkpad T60p shell that I hope can work.  Last month I got an Hdmi
controller board hooked up to the LCD.  So still to do is program a microcontroller to
interface the keyboard and trackpad.  And all the cabling and case mods.  woo!

See you Sunday,

Thomas

schubert bach

Jul 17, 2020, 9:58:06 PM7/17/20
to berke...@googlegroups.com
hi tom  next meetting

tom r lopes

Jul 18, 2020, 6:09:36 PM7/18/20
to berke...@googlegroups.com
Yes It will be nice to see you.

All you need to do is click that link.
The meeting will load in a tab in your browser (Chrome or Firefox)
Message comes up -- if you want to grant permission to use camera
and microphone, click yes if you want people to see and hear you.

Thomas

Michael Paoli

Jul 19, 2020, 5:38:07 AM7/19/20
to BerkeleyLUG
> From: "tom r lopes" <tomr...@gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: Pi.BerkeleyLUG: Next meeting this Sunday 19.07.2020
> Date: Sat, 18 Jul 2020 15:10:36 -0700

> Yes It will be nice to see you.
>
> All you need to do is click that link.
> The meeting will load in a tab in your browser (Chrome or Firefox)
> Message comes up -- if you want to grant permission to use camera
> and microphone, click yes if you want people to see and hear you.

Or, one can always just enable them when first starting Jitsi
(browser will generally ask for permissions before connecting to meeting)
And then from the Jitsi URL, before the meeting, one can
disable/mute them (just click the icons towards bottom center of
screen - just slightly to right and left of center there).
So, then one does another click or so to join the Jitsi meeting -
so can join with them already disabled/muted. But by disabling/muting
them in Jitsi, just takes a click to reenable them if/when/as desired.
Whereas, if one denies the via the browser itself prior to that, then
there's no way for Jitsi to access those ... and may not be as easy to
reenable them - if desired - after having done so like that.
Anyway, just a thought.

goossbears

Jul 19, 2020, 1:24:43 PM7/19/20
to BerkeleyLUG

On Wednesday, July 15, 2020 at 9:44:15 PM UTC-7, trl wrote:
meet.jit.si/berkeleypi
Dial-in: +1.512.647.1431 PIN: 2295 7834 33#
Sunday July 19 2020 from 11 am to ?
So Notice the new tag "Pi.BerkeleyLUG:"  If you want to keep these
messages from assailing your inbox, create a new filter.

I always like to have a project in mind before a meeting.  This time
I'm thinking maybe a small Linux raid file server.

Hey all,

Cannot at all attend today's Pi.BerkeleyLUG meeting on Jit.si , because am attending a virtual memorial service from 11am-1pm for the sudden death of a local college-age student - a would-be Sophomore at UC Davis :-( - whose family I've known well for over a dozen years (no to the obvious question; not sure if his death was COVID19-related or not!)

Later on this afternoon, well after the virtual memorial service, am planning to work on a non-Pi-related Linux "server" of my own; the 'Giveaway offer of older midtower PC and monitor' posted ~3wks ago currently listed within Michael P's https://www.wiki.balug.org/wiki/doku.php?id=balug:offered_wanted_hardware_etc
I ended up wiping out antiX on this Dell PowerEdge SC430 "from circa 2005-2006 with 1.0 GB of RAM", reformatted its hard drive, and installed Debian stable 'buster' to be an SSH and webserver, with an extremely minimal LXQt desktop environment and very very few productivity apps.
Additionally, I successfully installed on this machine a 10/100 Fast Internet NIC on one of its available internal PCI slots.
One task for today is to figure out how I may enable the machine's installed SSH server to _just_ respond using the slower PCI Fast Internet NIC (inward-bound SSH'd via another laptop or desktop) and enable the Apache webserver to send out outbound packets using _solely_ the faster 1 Gigabit/sec internal network port.
Suggestions welcome :-)

-Aaron

tom r lopes

Jul 19, 2020, 1:50:36 PM7/19/20
to berke...@googlegroups.com
Guys I'm running late. Expect 1130

Thomas

Michael Paoli

Jul 19, 2020, 1:59:12 PM7/19/20
to BerkeleyLUG
Well, I'm already on the Jitsi meeting. :-)

> From: "tom r lopes" <tomr...@gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: Pi.BerkeleyLUG: Next meeting this Sunday 19.07.2020

Michael Paoli

Jul 19, 2020, 2:14:18 PM7/19/20
to BerkeleyLUG, goossbears
> From: goossbears <acoh...@gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: Pi.BerkeleyLUG: Next meeting this Sunday 19.07.2020
> Date: Sun, 19 Jul 2020 10:24:43 -0700 (PDT)

> Cannot at all attend today's Pi.BerkeleyLUG meeting on Jit.si , because am
> attending a virtual memorial service from 11am-1pm for the sudden death of
> a local college-age student - a would-be Sophomore at UC Davis :-( - whose
> family I've known well for over a dozen years (no to the obvious question;
> not sure if his death was COVID19-related or not!)
>
> Later on this afternoon, well after the virtual memorial service, am
> planning to work on a non-Pi-related Linux "server" of my own; the
> 'Giveaway offer of older midtower PC and monitor' posted ~3wks ago
> currently listed within Michael P's
> https://www.wiki.balug.org/wiki/doku.php?id=balug:offered_wanted_hardware_etc
> I ended up wiping out antiX on this Dell PowerEdge SC430 "from circa
> 2005-2006 with 1.0 GB of RAM", reformatted its hard drive, and installed
> Debian stable 'buster' to be an SSH and webserver, with an extremely
> minimal LXQt desktop environment and very very few productivity apps.
> Additionally, I successfully installed on this machine a 10/100 Fast
> Internet NIC on one of its available internal PCI slots.
> One task for today is to figure out how I may enable the machine's
> installed SSH server to _just_ respond using the slower PCI Fast Internet
> NIC (inward-bound SSH'd via another laptop or desktop) and enable the
> Apache webserver to send out outbound packets using _solely_ the faster 1
> Gigabit/sec internal network port.
> Suggestions welcome :-)

It may be (much) easier - and often as effective, to, have the
services, go, rather than by NIC, by IP addresses. As long as you don't
have the same IP address(es) on both/multiple NICs, that generally
works quite well enough.
For ssh ...
$ dpkg -l openssh-server | awk '{if($1=="ii")print $2,$3;}'
openssh-server 1:7.9p1-10+deb10u2
$
sshd_config(5)
ListenAddress
Specifies the local addresses sshd(8) should listen on. The fol-
lowing forms may be used:
ListenAddress hostname|address [rdomain domain]
ListenAddress hostname:port [rdomain domain]
ListenAddress IPv4_address:port [rdomain domain]
ListenAddress [hostname|address]:port [rdomain domain]
The optional rdomain qualifier requests sshd(8) listen in an ex-
plicit routing domain. If port is not specified, sshd will lis-
ten on the address and all Port options specified. The default
is to listen on all local addresses on the current default rout-
ing domain. Multiple ListenAddress options are permitted. For
more information on routing domains, see rdomain(4).
Apache ...
$ dpkg -l apache2\* | awk '{if($1=="ii")print $2,$3;}'
apache2 2.4.38-3+deb10u3
apache2-bin 2.4.38-3+deb10u3
apache2-data 2.4.38-3+deb10u3
apache2-doc 2.4.38-3+deb10u3
apache2-utils 2.4.38-3+deb10u3
$
file:/usr/share/doc/apache2-doc/manual/en/mod/mpm_common.html#listen
Listen Directive

Syntax: Listen [IP-address:]portnumber [protocol]
Context: server config
Module: event, worker, prefork, mpm_winnt, mpm_netware, mpmt_os2
Compatibility: The protocol argument was added in 2.1.5

The Listen directive instructs Apache httpd to listen to only specific
IP addresses or ports; by default it responds to requests on all IP
interfaces. Listen is now a required directive. If it is not in the
config file, the server will fail to start. This is a change from
previous versions of Apache httpd.

The Listen directive tells the server to accept incoming requests on
the specified port or address-and-port combination. If only a port
number is specified, the server listens to the given port on all
interfaces. If an IP address is given as well as a port, the server
will listen on the given port and interface.

Multiple Listen directives may be used to specify a number of addresses
and ports to listen to. The server will respond to requests from any of
the listed addresses and ports.

For example, to make the server accept connections on both port 80 and
port 8000, use:
Listen 80
Listen 8000

To make the server accept connections on two specified interfaces and
port numbers, use
Listen 192.170.2.1:80
Listen 192.170.2.5:8000

IPv6 addresses must be surrounded in square brackets, as in the
following example:
Listen [2001:db8::a00:20ff:fea7:ccea]:80

The optional protocol argument is not required for most configurations.
If not specified, https is the default for port 443 and http the
default for all other ports. The protocol is used to determine which
module should handle a request, and to apply protocol specific
optimizations with the AcceptFilter directive.

You only need to set the protocol if you are running on non-standard
ports. For example, running an https site on port 8443:
Listen 192.170.2.1:8443 https

ace36

Jul 19, 2020, 7:06:56 PM7/19/20
to BerkeleyLUG
> Cannot at all attend today's Pi.BerkeleyLUG meeting on Jit.si , because am
> attending a virtual memorial service from 11am-1pm for the sudden death of
> a local college-age student - a would-be Sophomore at UC Davis :-( - whose
> family I've known well for over a dozen years (no to the obvious question;
> not sure if his death was COVID19-related or not!)

Turns out that during the email correspondence I attempted to provide the grieving family after the service,
I ran into what might have an aftereffect of the Cloudfare DNS issue from the beginning of the weekend;
see 'Cloudflare DNS goes down, taking a large piece of the internet with it' https://techcrunch.com/2020/07/17/cloudflare-dns-goes-down-taking-a-large-piece-of-the-internet-with-it/

Was finally able to successfully send the condolence message after narrowing-down the issue and then using an alternative email-provider's SMTP server.

Thank you, Michael P, for the below suggestion(s) :-)
Will have to try setting the desired services up according to these pointers.

Hope that the BerkeleyLUG Pi meetup went well earlier :-)
-Aaron
When you must stand up for something important in the face of those who would readily cut you down, then you must continually remind yourself of the words of the great Mahatma Gandhi,

"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win."