BerkeleyLUG (website): Removing spambot Users - User action needed ...

Michael Paoli

Sep 20, 2019, 11:19:12 AM9/20/19
to BerkeleyLUG
BerkeleyLUG (website): Removing spambot Users
https://berkeleylug.com/2019/09/19/removing-spambot-users/

If you are a registered User on the web site (https://berkeleylug.com/)
you may want to pay attention to the above posting. We'll be removing
(suspected) spambot accounts bit over a month from now.
In relevant part you may particularly want to pay attention to:

User action needed / how do I avoid getting my User account removed
along with the spambot accounts?:

o Looks like the spambots can't be bothered to set a First Name and/or
Last Name on the profile of their account, so set a non-blank
First Name and/or Last Name on your Profile Personal Options.
https://berkeleylug.com/wp-admin/profile.php
o Be or become a subscriber to our BerkeleyLUG list (Google Groups).
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/berkeleylug
For all email addresses subscribed to that list, for Users Registered
https://berkeleylug.com/wp-login.php?action=register
on our BerkeleyLUG web site where we have a matched email address,
https://berkeleylug.com/
we'll presume that user isn't a spambot and won't remove that
registered User account in our spambot purging efforts (be sure your
email addresses match - do you need to change/update for them to
match?).
o Be grandfathered in (only applies to a very small number of Users) -
if your account was already on the site before we migrated hosting
(your account was created before 2019-08-30), we'll consider you
grandfathered in and not a spambot - that's only these Username
accounts:
berkeleylugtransferred
goossbears
grantbow
jdeslip
michaelpaoli

Michael Paoli

Oct 22, 2019, 9:35:53 AM10/22/19
to BerkeleyLUG
michaelpaoli says:
2019-10-22 AT 6:16 AM (-07:00 PDT US/Pacific)
And per
The (presumed) spambot Users have been removed (per the earlier stated
selection criteria).

So ... we now have 6 "real" users on the (self-hosted WordPress)
web site.

And FYI, our Google Groups list, 77 to 139 "members", depending how
one counts:
139 grand total
131 if we subtract out those with status of "banned" (likely earlier
so banned from posting inappropriate content (e.g. spambots)
130 if we also subtract one that currently has bouncing email
77 if we also subtract those set to "no email" (one can be a member
and set not to receive email notifications - e.g. can access and
read (new) messages via web interface)

goossbears

Oct 23, 2019, 3:23:53 PM10/23/19
to BerkeleyLUG

On Tuesday, October 22, 2019 at 6:35:53 AM UTC-7, Michael Paoli wrote:
michaelpaoli says:
2019-10-22 AT 6:16 AM (-07:00 PDT US/Pacific)
And per
Removing spambot Users
https://berkeleylug.com/2019/09/19/removing-spambot-users/
The (presumed) spambot Users have been removed (per the earlier stated
selection criteria).

Am presuming that the remaining, valid "earlier stated selection criteria" are the following two options:
o Set a non-blank First Name and/or Last Name on your Profile Personal Options.
   https://berkeleylug.com/wp-admin/profile.php

schubert bach

Oct 24, 2019, 9:03:57 PM10/24/19
to BerkeleyLUG
hi

Guys
question
I posting it here
my apologiez for that but here is my question

I'm on a System76 laptop. It has a 250GB SSD and a 2TB Spinning Disk.

My backup hygiene is less than perfect.

I'd gotten read errors from the larger disk in a few directories. I decided to reboot.

I then didn't even see the secondb larger hard drive as a device (no /dev/sdb ).

I then decided to fully power it down, and start it up.

I am hearing an internal whirring/beeping(?) sound when the computer starts, and the disk light stays on. I get some ASCII art startup screen that looks like it's from the BIOS, and starting Ubuntu fails.

I would like:
1) A backup of both disks, as much as recoverable. I can provide a 4TB removable drive with enough free space.
2) A box that boots to Linux again.

Thanks

tom r lopes

Oct 24, 2019, 10:07:14 PM10/24/19
to berke...@googlegroups.com
You were off topic. Next time compose a new email to berke...@googlegroups.com

Anyways. There is a meeting this Sunday at the blue door Cafe from 11 to 2.
You are welcome to bring the machine.
But I have to say that data recovery is unlikely. If the OS can't see the drive then no commands can act on it. That said there are some tricks to get the drive to work a short while and data recovery is possible in that shirt window.

But bring the machine and some new drives and we can help you to reinstall Linux.

Thomas

Michael Paoli

Oct 27, 2019, 5:17:45 PM10/27/19
to BerkeleyLUG
ddrescue(1) could be handy.
If you've 2TB drive, to (attempt to) recover that, you'll want at minimum
drive/device/volume that is at least moderately larger than that ...
preferably up to about twice as large or larger in total capacity.
... plus whatever you want to backup additional drive(s).

Once you've got image copy of the disk (or as much as feasible),
can then work ... not directly on that - but a (virtual) copy of
that, as needed/desired, to (attempt to) recover further - as feasible.
You can do read-only operations on the original as feasible to see what
can/can't be read ... but it might not all matter - if it's not used
space, you may not care. Depending on the extent to which it's (partially)
readable, stuff like find and cat can be useful.

Also, ... "virtual" copy - could be a copy-on-write - so rather than
double space yet again, only increase actual space used by what's
written/changed.

As for read-only, don't merely mount ro - that won't fully suffice,
as mount may change things upon mount or attempt thereof - even if ro
is specified on the mount. You can use blockdev(8) to set the devices
themselves (e.g. drive & all its partitions).

> From: "tom r lopes" <tomr...@gmail.com>
> Subject: Re Request for help Was: BerkeleyLUG (website): Removing
> spambot Users - User action needed ...

schubert bach

Oct 28, 2019, 1:53:32 AM10/28/19
to berke...@googlegroups.com
thank you
Michael
highly appreciated
Juan

Rick Moen

Oct 30, 2019, 1:42:38 AM10/30/19
to BerkeleyLUG
Quoting schubert bach (schube...@gmail.com):

> hi
>
> Guys
> question
> I posting it here
> my apologiez for that but here is my question

https://www.mikesdotnetting.com/article/69/how-to-get-your-forum-question-answered-avoid-thread-jacking

How to get your forum question answered - avoid thread-jacking

[...]
Thread-jacking is the practice of appending your question to an
existing thread in a forum or news group. This is a relatively common
practice among newcomers, and while you obviously weren't to know, it is
discouraged.
[...]

More at link.