Alert! 85C is closed!

tom r lopes

Jun 1, 2019, 6:51:17 PM6/1/19
to berke...@googlegroups.com
Pi day will be at Algorithm tomorrow.

I just walked by and found it is closed for good.

So we will have to come up with a new venue before the meeting next week.

For the pi day tomorrow I decided on Algorithm. I think it will be easiest for us right now.

Thomas

tom r lopes

Jun 1, 2019, 7:15:19 PM6/1/19
to berke...@googlegroups.com
IMG_20190601_161239.jpg

Michael Paoli

Jun 2, 2019, 12:19:29 AM6/2/19
to BerkeleyLUG
Thanks for the heads up!

Well, that rather confirms our suspicions of
85C Bakery Cafe
not continuing to be a viable business model,
at least as it was being run and
[mis-]managed at that location.
I also notice it's gone from their
locations on their web presence:
https://www.85cbakerycafe.com/locations/

So, anyway, as you stated,
Pi Day (at least for 2019-06-02) -->
Algorithm Coffee Co.
1122 University Ave.
Berkeley, CA 94702-1699

As for BerkeleyLUG (non-Pi Day meetings)
I'll update that to TBD ...
I'm thinking likely Blue Door (which also may be more feasible while most
of the Cal students are away) ... I'll update it from TBD *after*
tomorrow's Pi Day meeting, to help reduce probability of
confusion. Unless I hear significant objection(s) / better idea(s),
I'll probably updated from TBD to Blue Door for *BerkeleyLUG*'s
meetings on or about Monday (at least after Pi Day meeting tomorrow,
and reasonably well in advance of BerkeleyLUG's next meeting (2nd Su).

goossbears

Jun 2, 2019, 1:31:22 AM6/2/19
to BerkeleyLUG
Yeah, just checked 85C's Yelp page https://www.yelp.com/biz/85-c-bakery-cafe-berkeley-4 and it also states as its Upcoming Special Hours that 85C Berkeley is closed indefinitely.
Aw shucks :-(

While I myself might also drop by Algorithm, would have to drop by only briefly tomorrow for the Pi Day; probably sometime between the tail-end of the meetup at 3pm and when it closes ~5pm. Since Pi Day is 1X/month and the regular BerkeleyLUG meetups are 2X/month, it seems a bit more important and time-sensitive, IMHO, to find a more permanent alternative BerkeleyLUG place to meet than at the old 85C (or even at Algorithm Coffee?)
Would like to visit beforehand for myself some of the other potential BerkeleyLUG meetup places that were floated around as options.
- Cafe Blue Door across Bancroft from the Southwest corner of the Cal campus; https://www.yelp.com/biz/cafe-blue-door-berkeley
- The Butcher's Son vegan delicatessan near 85C Bakery; https://www.yelp.com/biz/the-butchers-son-berkeley

Since the Pi Day doesn't seem to be particularly tied-down to Berkeley itself as does BerkeleyLUG in the latter's name, it opens up the possibility of meeting for the 1X/mo Pi Day inside of or even fairly *close by* Berkeley.
Therefore, I'd like to propose meeting at North Oakland's Sudo Room specifically for the 1X/mo Pi event.
Just off the top of my head, here are a couple of reasons to start off with why this may make sense....
- Sudo Room (sudoroom.org) is fairly-easily accessible by car, by AC Transit, and from the MacArthur BART from the many local points that BerkeleyLUG participants actually originate from.
- Sudo Room is very amenable to *exactly* the type of technical and Pi-project crowd that this Pi-event is geared to; SR has decent WiFi access, and sufficient power outlets and table space for such projects.
- In terms of accessibility, there is even a widely-publicized weekly Sunday event there -- Sudo Room's Build Your Own Internet Office Hours on its calendar https://sudoroom.org/calendar -- that can help ensure that people wishing to participate in the non-Berkeley-specific Pi Day event can gain access to the Omni Building for at least the ~1pm to 3:30pm time-period.
- A 1X/mo Pi Day having up to a half-dozen or so participants at Sudo Room is unlikely to greatly impede on SR's own weekly BYOI Office Hours' event (participants at the two separate events could even potentially technically assist each other out technically; as in routers <====> RPi's ?)

Am just throwing all this out there.
Hopefully, there will still be some folks around at Algorithm Coffee when am able to drop by near the end of the Pi Day meetup.

-Aaron

tom r lopes

Jun 2, 2019, 2:40:14 PM6/2/19
to berke...@googlegroups.com
Ok I'm here. Daily buddy but have a table by power.

Thomas

Rick Moen

Jun 2, 2019, 3:12:42 PM6/2/19
to berke...@googlegroups.com
Quoting tom r lopes (tomr...@gmail.com):

> Pi day will be at Algorithm tomorrow.
>
> I just walked by and found it is closed for good.

Well, darn. I might be the only one to be nostalgic for the place,
despite its problems. Those red bean and matcha pastries were really
good. I guess I'll have to rely on any of the myriad of other Chinese
bakeries in the Bay Area.

--
Cheers, "I am not a vegetarian because I love animals;
Rick Moen I am a vegetarian because I hate plants."

tom r lopes

Jun 2, 2019, 3:13:18 PM6/2/19
to berke...@googlegroups.com
Damn autocorrect.

Fairly busy but have table by power

Michael Paoli

Jun 3, 2019, 10:57:53 AM6/3/19
to BerkeleyLUG
> From: goossbears <acoh...@gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: Alert! 85C is closed!
> Date: Sat, 1 Jun 2019 22:31:22 -0700 (PDT)

> Yeah, just checked 85C's Yelp page
> https://www.yelp.com/biz/85-c-bakery-cafe-berkeley-4 and it also states as
> its Upcoming Special Hours that 85C Berkeley is closed indefinitely.

Yup, I also "updated" on Yelp, indicating the business was
permanently closed for that location,
but that update (at least at the time) was pending review
by moderators (provided the relevant info, so likely so updated by
now). I also added a "review" with essentially that same info,
and also uploaded photo - the one that Tom took of the posted
sign of the closure. Even before that someone had updated their
hours to indicate they were closed Saturday and Sunday - but I
think when I peeked earlier, it still said they'd be open M-F.
And, yeah, also 85C's web site - they'd removed it from their
locations - so I also provided that data - and that would also
be another indication of permanent (and so their sign implies,
and nothin' 'bout "temporary" or "remodeling" or the like).

Anyway, thought I'd cover that, since many folks (also) look
there (and well beyond just BerkeleyLUG folks).

Rick Moen

Jun 3, 2019, 2:53:44 PM6/3/19
to BerkeleyLUG
Quoting Michael Paoli (Michae...@cal.berkeley.edu):

> Yup, I also "updated" on Yelp, indicating the business was
> permanently closed for that location,
> but that update (at least at the time) was pending review
> by moderators (provided the relevant info, so likely so updated by
> now). I also added a "review" with essentially that same info,
> and also uploaded photo - the one that Tom took of the posted
> sign of the closure.

I've noticed that Yelp is often really slow to accept and implement
reviews, even ones accompanied by good evidence, of a business closing,
e.g., when I entered information about a cherished place being
permanently gone and included my e-mail address and cell 'phone number,
etc. -- but the Yelp review continued to claim the vanished business as
operational for years.

I'm sure they rely on a trust-metric algorithm to try to protect against
Internet mischief, so it may be that they accept such updates only from
users with a sufficiently high Yelp reputation.

Michael Paoli

Jun 4, 2019, 7:33:02 AM6/4/19
to BerkeleyLUG, Rick Moen
So, location updated for BerkeleyLUG meetings,
starting with next meeting this coming Sunday (2nd & 4th Sundays):
noon-3pm:
Cafe Blue Door
2244 Bancroft Way
Berkeley, CA 94704
1-510-665-6000

Relevant sources update:
https://berkeleylug.com/
https://berkeleylug.com/meetings/
https://www.google.com/calendar/embed?src=caj9iea2ol69b7n2uqdek4ocso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=America/Los_Angeles
or shorter for the link immediately above:
https://goo.gl/b9WY5k
Rick Moen <ri...@linuxmafia.com> - host of:
The BALE -- Bay Area Linux Events
http://linuxmafia.com/bale/

Interestingly, I can't seem to get USPS.com to cough up a
ZIP+4 9 digit zip code for Cafe Blue Door's address.

Michael Paoli

Jun 6, 2019, 4:58:40 AM6/6/19
to BerkeleyLUG
So, also same day:
Sunday Streets Berkeley
http://www.sundaystreetsberkeley.org/
2019-06-09 11am-5pm North Shattuck

BerkeleyLUG, of course, noon-3pm, now at Cafe Blue Door, next meeting
also 2016-06-09.

I'm thinking Sunday Streets Berkeley may cause some traffic/transportation
delays ... but probably less so for our new location.
Could also be something one may want to check out
on the way to and/or from BerkeleyLUG.