Re: Problem w/ Zoom 5 on Ubuntu 14.04x LTS

goossbears

May 21, 2020, 10:45:10 AM5/21/20
to BerkeleyLUG

Topic was Re: Next meeting this Sunday May 24th (virtual) 11am to ?

On Wed, May 20, 2020 at 9:37 PM 'Christian Peeples' via BerkeleyLUG <berke...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

P.s.  Do any of you understand why Ubuntu 14:4 LTS has a problem w/Zoom 5 (AC Transit uses Zoom, have not been able to get them to use open source).

Chris and/or others,
The current Zoom 5 documentation and announcements portal is at URL https://zoom.us/docs/en-us/zoom-v5-0.html
Could you describe the exact problem(s) w/Zoom 5 on Ubuntu 14.04.x LTS?
-Aaron

Christian Peeples

May 21, 2020, 1:42:05 PM5/21/20
to BerkeleyLUG, goossbears
Aaron:

When I try to upgrade to Zoom 5, I get an error message with the following detail:

"Lintian check results for /tmp/mozilla_hecp0/zoom_amd64.deb:
no entry control.tar.gz in archive

gzip: stdin: unexpected end of file
/bin/tar: Child returned status 1
/bin/tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now"

It gives me the choice to install anyway, but I don't want to do that if it will break Ubuntu. I only have the free version of Zoom, so I can't set up a ticket with their support center -- fair enough, you can't expect personal service on a free product.

-- Chris Peeples --

goossbears

May 21, 2020, 6:53:23 PM5/21/20
to BerkeleyLUG
On Thursday, May 21, 2020 at 10:42:05 AM UTC-7, Chris Peeples wrote:
Aaron:

When I try to upgrade to Zoom 5, I get an error message with the following detail:

"Lintian check results for /tmp/mozilla_hecp0/zoom_amd64.deb:
no entry control.tar.gz in archive

gzip: stdin: unexpected end of file
/bin/tar: Child returned status 1
/bin/tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now"

It gives me the choice to install anyway, but I don't want to do that if it will break Ubuntu. I only have the free version of Zoom, so I can't set up a ticket with their support center -- fair enough, you can't expect personal service on a free product.

-- Chris Peeples --

Also don't have an answer (like Tom L), but the Zoom Download Center's Zoom Client for Linux and Zoom Extension for Browsers is at https://zoom.us/download , so you (Chris) could try again to correctly download and install the latest zoom_amd64.deb for Ubuntu 14.04+ (version 5.0.408598.0517 as of this very writing).
If these steps again fail to correctly install the Zoom Client, then based upon the above, at least the following leading-links may yield some initial answers to what may be the problem....
-A

tom r lopes

May 21, 2020, 7:19:38 PM5/21/20
to berke...@googlegroups.com
Web search on the error string suggests it is dpkg using the wrong archive format.

Maybe you should see if dpkg had an update.

Thomas

Christian Peeples

May 22, 2020, 2:18:36 AM5/22/20
to BerkeleyLUG, goossbears
Aaron:

Thanks. I'll try that.

-- Chris Peeples --

Christian Peeples

May 22, 2020, 2:19:33 AM5/22/20
to berke...@googlegroups.com, tom r lopes
Tom:

Thanks.

-- Chris Peeples --

Michael Paoli

May 22, 2020, 5:09:44 AM5/22/20
to BerkeleyLUG
Well, ... when I used Zoom, from Linux, back on SF-LUG's meeting
2020-05-03 ... thought I might've mentioned some of the details on-list
for SF-LUG, but peeking at archive, perhaps/apparently not - I may have
just mentioned it verbally in that Zoom meeting.

Anyway, ran it from Linux, specifically Debian oldstable:
http://linuxmafia.com/pipermail/sf-lug/2020q2/014796.html

Anyway, Zoom "wants" to download and install stuff ... but one needn't
do so (I didn't want it downloading and installing and running stuff
on my computer - I don't trust Zoom that much), it does allow Zoom to
just run within the browser ... that's what I chose to do.
But I found that slightly interesting/challenging.
If I recall correctly (and don't have it backwards), I found it to
not be very stable at all in Chromium when doing so - it would crash
browser tab (or whole browser?) with exceedingly high regularity,
generally short after starting it that way within browsers (and no
downloads).
Then I tried likewise in Firefox ... "of course" too, in Firefox, it wanted
to download and install stuff ... but nope, I didn't want to do
that. But, annoyingly, in Firefox, it didn't give me the link to run
it in Firefox. So ...
I just copied the link - to run within browser, from Chromium,
then pasted that into browser tab on Firefox ... and that worked,
and it ran and was (meta?-)stable in Firefox (may have crashed moderate
number of times, but way less than with Chromium) ... it was at least
stable-ish enough to be fairy to quite usable.

Also, as now quite become my practice for all this shelter-in-place
work-from-home(/remote) stuff, for remote web conferencing stuff,
I use phone, rather than computer, for audio. Not only generally
much lower latency, but much more reliable ... phone generally doesn't
have the drop-outs, freezes, crashes, etc. - or grind to a total stop
if $work's VPN or proxy(/ies) have hiccup or latency or whatever.
Also handy to still be on the phone to be able to say if/as/when
appropriate "Oh, sorry, lost web/video ..." - if you also lose the
audio at the same time (and may take a while to reconnect), folks just
may not know, or may not know right away.

Also, again, same platform, used Jitsi, in BerkeleyLUG's last meeting
on 2020-05-10. I found Jitsi to be significantly more stable than
Zoom - at least on said Linux platform.