beancount and fava now available in Debian

Stefano Zacchiroli

Jan 4, 2019, 3:58:36 AM1/4/19
to bean...@googlegroups.com
TL;DR: you can now: sudo apt install beancount fava

Dear beancounters,
just a quick note that you can now apt install both Beancount and Fava
in Debian/unstable; in a few days this should also work for Debian
testing.

The packaging is courtesy by yours truly as well as Nicolas Dandrimont
(who did most of the Beancount packaging) and Pierre-Elliott Bécue (who
helped with Fava dependencies that weren't available in Debian yet). If
you use (Debian AND (beancount OR fava)) your feedback on the packages
would be very welcome, ideally via the Debian bug tracking system.

For Beancount and Fava upstream, this is a great time to let us know if
you want specific versions (or fixes) of either package to be part of
the next Debian stable release, which will be released later this year
and stick around for a few years. Debian development will be frozen mid
February [1] so that's packagers deadline to get major changes in.

[1]: https://release.debian.org/buster/freeze_policy.html

Currently the version of Fava shipped in Debian is 1.9.0; while the
Beancount version is a mercurial development snapshot as of December
25th, because we needed several recent commits to make the Beancount
test suite pass.

Cheers
--
Stefano Zacchiroli . za...@upsilon.cc . upsilon.cc/zack . . o . . . o . o
Computer Science Professor . CTO Software Heritage . . . . . o . . . o o

Martin Blais

Jan 5, 2019, 4:29:47 AM1/5/19
to Beancount
Thank you Stefano,
Beyond baking a release for Beancount, is there anything else that's needed to be patched in?
Let me know.

Stefano Zacchiroli

Jan 5, 2019, 5:29:12 AM1/5/19
to bean...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, Jan 05, 2019 at 08:29:32PM +1100, Martin Blais wrote:
> Beyond baking a release for Beancount, is there anything else that's needed
> to be patched in?

Not really. For dogfooding reasons I've myself switched to use the
packaged version rather than the mercurial checkout and I haven't
noticed anything missing or too annoying, even in light of long term
support.

Baking a release would be nice. It's not strictly needed, but it'd
indeed give users more confidence they're not building on top of a shaky
VCS snapshot.

Another nice to have would be documentation shipped with the package, to
allow for offline reading, which is something generally expected for
Debian packages. Right now I'm only shipping this README:

https://bitbucket.org/blais/beancount/src/ccc6dff1b7b4c29c48d41f666c0850ce2ce66bb7/docs/README?at=default&fileviewer=file-view-default

I understand it's probably too short time to properly bake the
documentation using the Google Docs -> rst pipeline, but maybe you'd
consider shipping a one-off rst export with the upcoming release? Again,
nothing blocking, just a nice to have if it's doable with little effort.

Martin Blais

Jan 5, 2019, 5:39:10 AM1/5/19
to Beancount
Thanks for the feedback.
I'll try to bake a release very soon (maybe tonight).

As for the rst documentation, it's still not good enough an extraction to really use.
It needs more work.

Stefan Monnier

Jan 6, 2019, 12:39:02 PM1/6/19
to bean...@googlegroups.com
> just a quick note that you can now apt install both Beancount and Fava
> in Debian/unstable; in a few days this should also work for Debian
> testing.

Yay, thank you!

Stefan