syntax error, unexpected ACCOUNT

jke...@gmail.com

Aug 5, 2017, 11:41:22 AM8/5/17
to Beancount
Hello,

I'm a Ledger user thinking of switching to Beancount based on what I understand from the documentation on how it handles lots. While trying to import my data from Ledger to Beancount using bean-check I'm getting a syntax error. Here's a small sample from my data:

2013-01-01 open Expenses:Crypto:NetworkFees     BTC

; lots of other transactions were here

2017-06-27 * "Bitcoin network fee"

; Account: Pocket money

Expenses:Crypto:NetworkFees           0.00082487 BTC

Assets:Crypto:Bitcoin

When I run bean-check on that file, I receive the following error message:

joel@bregalad
:~/beancount$ bean-check ledger.bc

/home/joel/beancount/ledger.bc:3308:    syntax error, unexpected ACCOUNT

Any ideas what's going on with my directives? Maybe this is an obvious beginners mistake, but I can't see it.

Joel

Cheng Zhen

Aug 5, 2017, 12:03:13 PM8/5/17
to bean...@googlegroups.com

Martin Blais

Aug 5, 2017, 12:28:40 PM8/5/17
to Beancount
You cannot insert comment syntax between the postings.
(This limitation is mainly due to the special treatment indentation has and some limitations of the lexer implementation. In theory it would be fixable, but falls under the "we need to rewrite the lexer" rubric.)

jke...@gmail.com

Aug 5, 2017, 12:34:22 PM8/5/17
to Beancount
Yup. Beginners error here.

Thanks for clarifying that so quickly for me.

Joel