There’s a Reason a Killer Money-Saving App Still Doesn’t Exist - The Wall Street Journal.

Martin Blais

Nov 16, 2023, 2:39:39 AM11/16/23
to Beancount
This is a pretty good article about Mint and budgeting apps:

There’s a Reason a Killer Money-Saving App Still Doesn’t Exist https://www.wsj.com/articles/theres-a-reason-a-killer-money-saving-appstill-doesntexist-24558f8c

I like this quote: "“Nobody wants to track an expense item for expense item tracking,” she said."

I think that's true for most people, but I also think the type of person that's a beancount user also gets a kick just out of being able to reconcile properly.

Graham Atkins

Nov 16, 2023, 4:25:49 AM11/16/23
to bean...@googlegroups.com
Pick me.

Regards, Graham

Yannis Anthymidis

Nov 16, 2023, 7:11:12 AM11/16/23
to bean...@googlegroups.com
I can't read the article so commenting on the basis of your quote.

I think the WSJ is correct, people aren't interested in the data in
itself (reconciling transactions) but rather, a way to make it useful.

I take comfort as a beancount user in knowing the expenses are
reconciled properly. That said, I must take the side of the WSJ that
this isn't 'a kick' in itself, it's the value it gives after I take time
to interpret the results.
After all, there is a lot of text online about how to automate expenses
using command line accounting. Experienced users seem to prefer manual
input from what I've seen online, but the initial draw for people is the
idea of a resilient format that can all be programmatically automated
while remaining somewhat private. The continuing draw - at least for me,
is not automation (of which I have none), but the views in Fava and full
control of sensitive information.