Posting dates

redst...@gmail.com

Dec 29, 2015, 8:21:34 PM12/29/15
to Beancount
Currently in the Beancount Language Syntax, transactions can have dates, but individual postings cannot - the date associated with them is the transaction's date.

Would you be open to updating the language syntax so a date can be optionally specified for a posting like so:

2014-12-01 * "Annual Insurance payment for 2015"
    Liabilities:Credit-Card   $100
    2015-01-01 Expenses:Insurance

Perhaps the posting's date could become a part of its metadata (like "posting_date") so nothing else will be affected.

The motivation for this is, it's not uncommon to desire a different effective date for a leg or legs of a transaction. This allows for a compact an intuitive form. See [1] for more:

Martin Blais

Dec 29, 2015, 8:51:57 PM12/29/15
to Beancount

Yes, there already a task defined for this, this work will be done when tackling the more general transaction merging problem.
Look for the settlement proposal doc earlier on this list.

redst...@gmail.com

Dec 29, 2015, 9:06:23 PM12/29/15
to Beancount
Great, I'll look forward to it!

benjamin....@gmail.com

Jul 25, 2018, 9:43:57 AM7/25/18
to Beancount
(Resurrecting this old thread...)

Hello,

Have you made any progress on this feature ?

I don't seem to find anything about it.

Thanks

Martin Blais

Jul 26, 2018, 11:17:06 PM7/26/18
to Beancount

benjamin....@gmail.com

Jul 30, 2018, 7:56:17 AM7/30/18
to Beancount
Got you.

Is this feature request still valid or the design change would be too burdensome ?

I understand you probably don't have a need for it. And on the other hand the repercussions of such a feature would be non trivial so I'm curious.

Martin Blais

Jul 30, 2018, 10:59:56 PM7/30/18
to Beancount
On Mon, Jul 30, 2018 at 7:56 AM <benjamin....@gmail.com> wrote:
Got you.

Is this feature request still valid or the design change would be too burdensome ?

Haven't had time; still makes sense to me.
There's almost 6000 lines of ideas in the TODO file and 100's of open tickets. Here:
Just keeping my head above water.

benjamin....@gmail.com

Jul 31, 2018, 1:25:28 AM7/31/18
to Beancount
I understand.

Thanks for the feedback :)

trs...@tutanota.com

Aug 4, 2018, 5:57:46 PM8/4/18
to bean...@googlegroups.com
One day Martin, I hope to know enough Python to maybe help you out with some of those. You've created a wonderful thing here and provided enough documentation (including thought processes to underlying development decisions) to make that possible.

I for one greatly appreciate not only all your work (code AND documentation), but the fact that you have also released the project as free software. Cheers, mate!

TRS-80
--
Securely sent with Tutanota. Claim your encrypted mailbox today!
https://tutanota.com

30. Jul 2018 22:59 by bl...@furius.ca:

Martin Blais

Aug 5, 2018, 10:39:55 AM8/5/18