Sharing expenses for dinner after adding up all expenses

Matias

Sep 17, 2023, 3:21:56 PM9/17/23
to Beancount
Hi!
I'm starting to use beancount and I can't handle the registration of a particular situation.
Last night a friend invited a group of friends for a barbecue at his home.
Each invited person bought something to take (icecream, beer, wine, meat, etc)
Then we add up all expenses and share.
I spent AR$18000, and after adding up all the spent, each invited friend have to pay AR$6000. Then, I received a bank transfer from two friends for ARS6000 each.

How do I register this?

Thanks!
Matías.-

Matias

Sep 17, 2023, 3:38:23 PM9/17/23
to Beancount
ups! some missing information.

I spent ar$18.000, buying:
    - ar$10.000 Icecream (Store A)
    - ar$18.000 Wine. (Store B)

Martin Blais

Sep 17, 2023, 4:50:23 PM9/17/23
to bean...@googlegroups.com
- your outgoing expenses for AR$10000 and $ar18000
- your incoming transfer for AT$6000 from friend 1
- your incoming transfer for AT$6000 from friend 2
are all four separate transactions.
Add a unique link to all three.
Not sure there's more to it than that.
Looks like you overpaid by AR$10000

Matias M. Grandi

Sep 17, 2023, 8:53:05 PM9/17/23
to bean...@googlegroups.com
Thanks!
I was wrong in the second email. The correct spent was:
    - ar$10.000 Icecream (Store A)
    - ar$8.000 Wine. (Store B)

Martin Michlmayr

Sep 18, 2023, 11:14:11 AM9/18/23
to bean...@googlegroups.com
You could do something like the transactions below.

Note that there are a number of different ways this could be modeled,
including account names (e.g. Expenses:Party, Expenses:Food, etc).

You could also book the purchases of the food against
Assets:Receivable instead of Expenses and then book your Expenses when
you calculate the share of each party participant.

2000-01-01 open Expenses:Party
2000-01-01 open Assets:Cash
2000-01-01 open Assets:Receivable
2000-01-01 open Assets:Bank

2023-09-19 * "Store A" "Buy icecream for party"
Expenses:Party 10000 ARS
Assets:Cash -10000 ARS

2023-09-19 * "Store B" "Buy wine for party"
Expenses:Party 8000 ARS
Assets:Cash -8000 ARS

2023-09-19 * "Calculate party share"
Assets:Receivable 12000 ARS
Expenses:Party -12000 ARS

2023-09-21 * "Friend 1" "Receive payment for party expenses"
Assets:Bank 6000 ARS
Assets:Receivable -6000 ARS

2023-09-25 * "Friend 2" "Receive payment for party expenses"
Assets:Bank 6000 ARS
Assets:Receivable -6000 ARS

* Matias M. Grandi <matias...@gmail.com> [2023-09-17 21:52]:
> >> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beancount/6d144236-f734-4dd5-ae68-bedb4f08d318n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>