Detailed exporter for Patreon pledges

kane...@google.com

Nov 5, 2018, 7:07:34 PM11/5/18
to Beancount
Hello everyone!

What I have here is JavaScript that will export your Patreon transactions so you can see details of exactly who you've been giving money to. The output of this script is unaffected by Patreon income, because it uses your pledge history page instead of your bank statements. (The script does not export your income.)

It's written as a script that you need to paste into your browser developer tools, then run once for every year you want to export (no need to reload, just navigate with the UI).

The transaction model is: One transaction for every box in the Patreon UI. Pledges are charged to a "Expenses:...:Patreon:Pledges" account; when you import your credit card / bank / Paypal statement, put the Pledges slush account as the destination of the transaction. If you have full history, the Pledges account should sum to 0.

Enjoy,
- Kane
Personal email is same @gmail.com

Martin Blais

Nov 5, 2018, 8:09:58 PM11/5/18
to bean...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for sharing!

Jeremy Maitin-Shepard

Nov 8, 2018, 1:16:10 PM11/8/18
to bean...@googlegroups.com
As a shameless plug, I created the https://github.com/jbms/finance-dl package as a collection of my own tools for doing exactly this type of thing --- downloading data from various external sources, often via web scraping, so that it can be imported into beancount.

I've tried to provide a clean framework for configuring the data sources and running them, so that it is convenient to use.

While currently it only contains the sources I've created myself, I think we would all benefit from a common repository, as many of these sources are likely to be useful to multiple people (such as this patreon source).

The model in finance-dl is slightly different from what you have here, in that the existing data sources are designed to be fully automatic using the selenium webdriver Python package, and rather than directly outputting beancount transactions, the data sources generally try to save the raw data in as close to the original format as possible (e.g. CSV if the website provides an option for downloading in CSV format, or possibly a synthesized CSV based on data scraped from the website), and then a corresponding module in the beancount-import package is used to actually generate the transactions.