Newbie questions on beatcount and emacs.

mpl...@gmail.com

Apr 8, 2018, 9:10:26 AM4/8/18
to Beancount
Guys hi,

I am pretty new to plain text accounting, was using ledger CLI for week or so, like the flexibility over cashGNU, and yesterday installed beancount(using it with emacs). I have several questions:

1 How do you add today's date without typing? In ledger-mode i was using ctrl+C ctrl+A, is there a shortcut in beancount mode?
2 For ledger set-up i was using company to complete(like it more than C-c ' insert account) - how can i use company with org + beancount mode?
Cause now tab is taken by Org to open/close lists
3 C-c l (bean-check) does not work for me. It says "bean check" is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.
(I am on Windows 10), what can be the problem?
4 To use an account before hand it must be opened right? "open" command.
5 If had an account expenses:business:rent57, and closed it let say in april 2018.
It still will be shown in reports for periods prior to april 2018, correct?

Sorry if these questions are too basic, just trying to learn beancount.

Martin Blais

Apr 8, 2018, 1:37:40 PM4/8/18
to Beancount
On Sun, Apr 8, 2018 at 9:10 AM, <mpl...@gmail.com> wrote:
Guys hi,

I am pretty new to plain text accounting, was using ledger CLI for week or so, like the flexibility over cashGNU, and yesterday installed beancount(using it with emacs). I have several questions:

1 How do you add today's date without typing? In ledger-mode i was using ctrl+C ctrl+A, is there a shortcut in beancount mode?

It's not defined in beancount-mode, which is intended to be small.
I have a dynamic abbrev on this:

(defun insert-date ()
  ;; ISO 8601 format
  (insert (time-stamp-string "%:y-%02m-%02d")))

2 For ledger set-up i was using company to complete(like it more than C-c ' insert account) - how can i use company with org + beancount mode?
Cause now tab is taken by Org to open/close lists

I have no idea, but surely you can override any of the bindings in Emacs.

3 C-c l (bean-check) does not work for me. It says "bean check" is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.
(I am on Windows 10), what can be the problem?

Your PATH?
Must be Windows-related.
There are a few Windows users on this list, they might be able to chip in something.

4 To use an account before hand it must be opened right? "open" command.

If by "beforehand" you mean that the date must precede that of any transaction posting to it, yes.
Note that it doesn't have to appear before in the file; file order doesn't matter in Beancount, everything is sorted by date before processing.

5 If had an account expenses:business:rent57, and closed it let say in april 2018.
It still will be shown in reports for periods prior to april 2018, correct?

Which report?
Generally speaking, the custom reports will try to show aggregations if they involved at least one transaction in their set of filtered transactions.

(Note that the outlook for custom reports is for them to be eventually replaced by SQL queries.)

Sorry if these questions are too basic, just trying to learn beancount.

There's never a dumb question. Thanks for asking,

mpl...@gmail.com

Apr 9, 2018, 2:58:58 PM4/9/18
to Beancount
Martin, thank you for the detailed answer!

Greg Wang

Aug 11, 2019, 11:16:02 PM8/11/19
to Beancount
Hi Martin,

may I ask how does your dynamic abbrev on inserting date work? I copy your code into the beancount.el and define accordingly a key map. It doesn't seem to be working at all.

Also want to thank for your amazing program!

Best regards,
Greg

Martin Blais

Aug 12, 2019, 10:23:12 AM8/12/19