BeagleV - HDMI video out, is it really 30 frames per second?

Arwen Evenstar

Feb 8, 2021, 1:17:17 PM2/8/21
to BeagleV
In the available documentation via the web, the video output from the HDMI connector is listed as;
  • 1 x HDMI support up to 1080P@30FPS
Is this correct?

Some computer monitors won't do 30 frames per second. For example, my older ViewSonic monitor is limited to 50 - 76 frames per second. Thus, the BeagleV board would not work on it.

That said, this looks like a wonderful board, and one I will follow it's progress.

---
Arwen Evenstar
Middle Earth

Robert Nelson

Feb 8, 2021, 1:57:38 PM2/8/21
to Arwen Evenstar, BeagleV
Hi Arwen,

That smells like the old wiki for the "BeagleBone"... The HDMI spec's
of the "BeagleV" has not been officially released yet. ;)

Robert Nelson
https://rcn-ee.com/

Jason Kridner

Feb 8, 2021, 2:11:17 PM2/8/21
to Robert Nelson, Arwen Evenstar, BeagleV
On Mon, Feb 8, 2021 at 1:57 PM Robert Nelson <robert...@gmail.com> wrote:
On Mon, Feb 8, 2021 at 12:17 PM 'Arwen Evenstar' via BeagleV
<bea...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

> In the available documentation via the web, the video output from the HDMI connector is listed as;
>
> 1 x HDMI support up to 1080P@30FPS

Where is this so I can fix it. It should be 1080p60.

> Is this correct?
>
> Some computer monitors won't do 30 frames per second. For example, my older ViewSonic monitor is limited to 50 - 76 frames per second. Thus, the BeagleV board would not work on it.
>
> That said, this looks like a wonderful board, and one I will follow it's progress.

Hi Arwen,

That smells like the old wiki for the "BeagleBone"...  The HDMI spec's
of the "BeagleV" has not been officially released yet. ;)

Sure, but we can check with the design and designers. I think it could be higher in the production version. The primary limitation is the use of a parallel LCD interface and an HDMI framer device, a TDA19988. Now do you know why the limitation sounds familiar?  ;-)

The DSI can output 4K@30fps.

I checked with the designers and tweeted about this at:

I'll try to send our first FAQ e-mail out to this list in a week or two and will make sure this is included.

Robert Nelson
https://rcn-ee.com/

https://beagleboard.org/about/jkridner - a 501c3 non-profit educating around open hardware computing
Message has been deleted

Arwen Evenstar

Feb 8, 2021, 3:16:03 PM2/8/21
to BeagleV
This is the web page that I am referring to;

It clearly states 30 frames per second as;

• 1 x HDMI support up to 1080P@30FPS
---
Arwen Evenstar
Middle Earth

Robert Nelson

Feb 8, 2021, 3:35:25 PM2/8/21
to Arwen Evenstar, BeagleV
That's the encoder/decoder ip block, not the actual hdmi output...

On Mon, Feb 8, 2021, 2:01 PM 'Arwen Evenstar' via BeagleV <bea...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
This is the web page that I am referring to;

It clearly states 30 frames per second.

Arwen Evenstar

Feb 8, 2021, 4:50:05 PM2/8/21
to BeagleV
Thanks.

Looks like the other web site has slightly different information;

• 1 x HDMI 1.4 support up to 1080P@60fps

This is more hopeful. That was one of the things that would have stopped me from buying one.

The other site, has @30fps

----
Arwen Evenstar
Middle Earth

Jason Kridner

Feb 11, 2021, 11:22:01 AM2/11/21
to Arwen Evenstar, BeagleV
On Mon, Feb 8, 2021 at 3:16 PM 'Arwen Evenstar' via BeagleV <bea...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
This is the web page that I am referring to;

It clearly states 30 frames per second as;

• 1 x HDMI support up to 1080P@30FPS

It is correct. I verified with the hardware engineer in charge. The LCD+framer output is limited to 1080P@30fps.

The DSI output will be at 4K@30fps.

So, I was wrong.