how to copy kernel image (which has already available into SDcard ) to EMMC memory of bbb?

kara...@yahoo.com

Sep 15, 2016, 7:27:10 AM9/15/16
to BeagleBoard
Hello everyone,

here i want to discuss regarding to copy kernel image from EMMC using window platform.

so i want to know anybody have idea how to copy kernel image (which has already available into SDcard ) into emmc memory of beaglebone board by using window platform.

note: without login into board i want to do that i will give just power supply to it by using usb cable or 5v adaptor.

can anyone have idea how to this?

Dennis Lee Bieber

Sep 15, 2016, 2:16:14 PM9/15/16
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, 14 Sep 2016 22:26:36 -0700 (PDT), karan_ec via BeagleBoard
<beagl...@googlegroups.com> declaimed the
following:

>here i want to discuss regarding to copy kernel image from EMMC using
>window platform.
>
>so i want to know anybody have idea how to copy kernel image (which has
>already available into SDcard ) into emmc memory of beaglebone board by
>using window platform.

It is unclear exactly what action you are attempting... Your first
sentences says "from EMMC", but the next sentence says "into emmc".

If you mean you want to /flash/ a new image onto the eMMC, you'll have
write an image onto an SD Card. Note -- this is NOT done by Windows "copy"
command or "drag&drop" as that will just create a large file on a FAT file
system. You need to use a utility
https://sourceforge.net/projects/win32diskimager/ which treats the image
file as a raw image and writes it directly to the SD Card -- effectively
formatting the SD Card while putting the many Linux files on it.

If the image is /not/ a "flasher image" (the current images at
http://beagleboard.org/latest-images do not automatically flash the eMMC)
you will then need to put the card into the BBB and reboot -- log into the
BBB (which is running off the SD Card at this time), and edit the file
described on that page. Now, reboot again, and the image on the SD Card
should be flashed onto the eMMC. When done, remove the SD Card (if you
leave it in when booting, it will repeat the flashing of the eMMC -- if you
have a lot of BBBs, you can now go down the line with that SD Card and it
will flash each one, no need to log in).

After you are done flashing, I'd suggest wiping the SD Card so you
don't accidentally flash a working system.
--
Wulfraed Dennis Lee Bieber AF6VN
wlf...@ix.netcom.com HTTP://wlfraed.home.netcom.com/

kara...@yahoo.com

Sep 16, 2016, 1:05:06 AM9/16/16
to BeagleBoard

On Thursday, 15 September 2016 16:57:10 UTC+5:30, kara...@yahoo.com wrote:
Hello everyone,

here i want to discuss regarding to copy kernel image from sd card to  EMMC using window platform.

so i want to know anybody have idea how to copy kernel image (which has already available into SDcard ) to emmc memory of beaglebone board by using window platform.

kara...@yahoo.com

Sep 16, 2016, 1:09:12 AM9/16/16
to BeagleBoard, wlf...@ix.netcom.com
actually i have kernel image into sd card and i just want to copy that image from sd card to emmc memory of beaglebone black by using window os.

kara...@yahoo.com

Sep 16, 2016, 1:13:47 AM9/16/16
to BeagleBoard, wlf...@ix.netcom.com
it means that i want utility which help me to copy sd card kernel image to emmc in windows os.

Dennis Lee Bieber

Sep 16, 2016, 8:19:32 AM9/16/16
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, 15 Sep 2016 22:09:11 -0700 (PDT), karan_ec via BeagleBoard
<beagl...@googlegroups.com> declaimed the
following:

>actually i have kernel image into sd card and i just want to copy that
>image from sd card to emmc memory of beaglebone black by using window os.

For the most part, Windows is a non-factor... You likely would have to
use the same procedure with any host OS -- and that is to, at some stage,
login to the BBB via a terminal emulation.

Windows does not recognize Linux type partitions -- so unless your
kernel image is just a file copied onto a FAT formatted SD card, Windows
will be unable to see the image. Windows has no visibility of the eMMC
contents (I believe the images from two years ago did create a small FAT
partition that Windows could see, having some u-Boot related stuff and the
HTML pages for browser connection; newer images no longer have that).

So... IF the kernel is on a FAT formatted SD card, you could try
connecting to the BBB with something like psftp, and doing an FTP PUT to
move the file to the BBB.

IF, OTOH, the SD card has a Linux partition on it, you will have to
connect to the BBB using a terminal program, install the SD card on the BBB
(and if it isn't auto-mounted, mount it), then copy the kernel image to
whereever you need.

In both cases, you'll likely have to use the terminal program to
perform whatever final set-up is needed to have the BBB OS use that new
kernel image.

For example
http://kernel-handbook.alioth.debian.org/ch-common-tasks.html#s-common-building
if the image is in the form of a .deb file

kara...@yahoo.com

Sep 19, 2016, 2:32:45 AM9/19/16
to BeagleBoard, wlf...@ix.netcom.com
but i want to copy linux kernel image(customized image) so how to copy kernel image sd card to emmc by  using windows os?