Unable to manually load dtbo to bone_capemgr slots

Marco Thome

Aug 10, 2017, 10:32:22 AM8/10/17
to BeagleBoard
Hi,

I started Reading about dts files a few days ago and wrote my own to set P8.42, P8.43, P8.44 and P8.46 as gpio outputs. I compiled it and tried to echo it to /sys/devices/platform/bone_capemgr/slots, but I get no response (my terminal just stops).

Here's what I get on dmesg's last lines:
[  407.020467] bone_capemgr bone_capemgr: part_number 'bb-gpio', version 'N/A'
[  407.020531] bone_capemgr bone_capemgr: slot #4: override
[  407.033061] bone_capemgr bone_capemgr: slot #4: auto loading handled by U-Boot

And here's my custom dts:

/dts-v1/;
/plugin/;
/ {
 compatible = "ti,beaglebone", "ti,beaglebone-black";
 /* identification */
 part-number = "bb-gpio";
 version = "00a0";
 /* state the resources this cape uses */
 exclusive-use =
 "P8.42",
 "P8.43",
 "P8.44",
 "P8.46",
 "gpio2_11",
 "gpio2_8",
 "gpio2_9",
 "gpio2_7";
 fragment@0 {
  target = <&am33xx_pinmux>;
  __overlay__ {
   bb_gpio_pins: pinmux_bb_gpio_pins {
    pinctrl-single,pins = <
    0x0b4 0x0f /* P8_42 GPIO2_11 */
    0x0a8 0x0f /* P8_43 GPIO2_8 */
    0x0ac 0x0f /* P8_44 GPIO2_9 */
    0x0a4 0x0f /* P8_46 GPIO2_7 */
    >;
   };
  };
 };
 fragment@1 {
  target = <&ocp>;
  __overlay__ {
   bbgpio : gpio {
    pinctrl-names = "default";
    pinctrl-0 = <&bb_gpio_pins>;
    status = "okay";
    /*oe {
     gpio-name = "oe";
     gpio = <&gpio3 11 0x00>;
     output;
    };
    clk {
     gpio-name = "clk";
     gpio = <&gpio3 8 0x00>;
     output;
    };
    le {
     gpio-name = "le";
     gpio = <&gpio3 9 0x00>;
     output;
    };
    sdi {
     gpio-name = "sdi";
     gpio = <&gpio3 7 0x00>;
     output;
    };*/
   };
  };
 };
};

I tried upgrading kernel (right now, uname -a returns: Linux arm 4.9.41-ti-r53 #1 SMP PREEMPT Thu Aug 10 02:34:57 UTC 2017 armv7l GNU/Linux), disabling audio/vídeo/wireless/adc overlays, enabling/disabling cape_universal, loading internet dtbos (from kilobaser and bbbadventures) and default ones (like cape-universaln) and changing boards (I have 2 BBBs) and installing bb-cape-overlays through apt-get

I think I'm missing something really stupid, because I found nothing regarding this kind of error so far.
If I try to load the dtbos on boot through uEnv.txt, my board stops with the 4 user leds lit, which I understand as a signal that my BBB is not loading the OS. Of course, I can't ssh it.

What am I missing?

Best regards,
Marco

Robert Nelson

Aug 10, 2017, 10:38:58 AM8/10/17
to Beagle Board, maa...@gmail.com
On Thu, Aug 10, 2017 at 8:11 AM, Marco Thome <maa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I started Reading about dts files a few days ago and wrote my own to set
> P8.42, P8.43, P8.44 and P8.46 as gpio outputs. I compiled it and tried to
> echo it to /sys/devices/platform/bone_capemgr/slots, but I get no response
> (my terminal just stops).
>
> Here's what I get on dmesg's last lines:
> [ 407.020467] bone_capemgr bone_capemgr: part_number 'bb-gpio', version
> 'N/A'
> [ 407.020531] bone_capemgr bone_capemgr: slot #4: override
> [ 407.033061] bone_capemgr bone_capemgr: slot #4: auto loading handled by
> U-Boot

"auto loading handled by U-Boot" see the directions here:

http://elinux.org/Beagleboard:BeagleBoneBlack_Debian#U-Boot_Overlays

Robert Nelson
https://rcn-ee.com/

Marco Thome

Aug 11, 2017, 7:02:39 AM8/11/17
to BeagleBoard, maa...@gmail.com
Tried to upgrade my bootloader and my board stopped booting.

Robert Nelson

Aug 11, 2017, 10:33:40 AM8/11/17
to Beagle Board, Marco Thome
On Fri, Aug 11, 2017 at 6:02 AM, Marco Thome <maa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Tried to upgrade my bootloader and my board stopped booting.

Do you have a serial cable to log bootup?

Then we can see where and what caused the boot failure.

Marco Thome

Aug 14, 2017, 6:35:30 AM8/14/17
to BeagleBoard, maa...@gmail.com
I'm sorry for taking so long to reply.
I don't have a serial cable to see what's happening. I did what I could do: I erased everything and started again.
This time, I upgraded my kernel with options --bone-channel --lts-4_9 and then it started working!

I really do not understand why it didn't work before with other options, since I'm using the same dtbo file as before.