eQEP1 setup problems with latest debian iOT

Hugh Frater

Apr 20, 2017, 10:01:07 AM4/20/17
to BeagleBoard
Following on from my earlier messages related to this, I am using cape-universal now to setup and control the pins for my mechatronics project. Pinmap constraints mean I need to use eQEP1 and eQEP2. eQEP2 on P8_11, P8_12 and P8_16 is working, but I can't get config-pin to setup eQEP1 on P8_31, P8_33 and P8_35.

root@beaglebone:/dev# config-pin -l P8_31
default gpio gpio_pu gpio_pd uart qep

You can see qep is a supported mode.

root@beaglebone:/dev# config-pin P8_31 qep
bash: line 0: echo: write error: No such device
Cannot write pinmux file: /sys/devices/platform/ocp/ocp:P8_31_pinmux/state

And that is the error I get...

Does anyone know what is going on here? This 2nd encoder input is the last bit of the pinmux'ing puzzle I need to sort out, all the other GPIO is working nicely now.

Thanks, Hugh

Hugh Frater

May 10, 2017, 5:20:56 AM5/10/17
to BeagleBoard
Anyone?

Hugh Frater

May 10, 2017, 8:29:04 AM5/10/17
to BeagleBoard
Found it - cape-universal doesn't support eqep1, this was added to cape-universalh 4 months ago but the code wasn't merged into cape-universal. I will look at doing this now.

Drew Fustini

May 10, 2017, 10:02:06 AM5/10/17
to Beagle Board
I actually ran into this too recently and have modified cape-universala-00A0.dts to enable pins P8_33 and P8_35 for eqep1:

Thanks
Drew

Robert Nelson

May 10, 2017, 10:29:22 AM5/10/17
to Beagle Board
I just pushed another sync up: P8_31 was mising ecap. ;)

https://github.com/beagleboard/bb.org-overlays/commit/6197c268c1b875a2c066635413c9742b720762bc

I'm going to do a quick space -> tab conversion on cape-universal*.dts
as i need to also sync all the eqep options with 12 or so
univ-<board>-<enable>.dts

Regards,
>> email to beagleboard...@googlegroups.com.
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/CAEf4M_D9ytOfzome-NbXGJ6oObebsBO8en_OcVW9XqiygqoVsw%40mail.gmail.com.

Robert Nelson
https://rcn-ee.com/

Hugh Frater

May 10, 2017, 11:20:13 AM5/10/17
to BeagleBoard
Thanks guys, I'll keep an eye on the repository and grab a copy once things are finalised.

Robert Nelson

May 10, 2017, 12:16:50 PM5/10/17
to Beagle Board, hugh....@gmail.com
On Wed, May 10, 2017 at 10:20 AM, Hugh Frater <hugh....@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks guys, I'll keep an eye on the repository and grab a copy once things
> are finalised.

Okay all pushed out..

run:

sudo apt update ; sudo apt upgrade

and it should show an upgrade for bb-cape-overlays
bb-cape-overlays_4.4.20170510.0

reboot and it should work, let us know..

Regards,

Hugh Frater

May 11, 2017, 5:18:08 AM5/11/17
to BeagleBoard, hugh....@gmail.com
It looks like we are good-to-go. Thanks for sorting this out guys :)

Hugh

Hugh Frater

Jan 17, 2018, 7:37:03 AM1/17/18
to BeagleBoard
Just to add to this again - this fix is still required if you use the 8.7 IoT image but is not required if you use the 9.1 image. Also note that the pru_ecap mode for P9_42 is now called PWM when you call config-pin

Hugh Frater

Jan 17, 2018, 9:46:42 AM1/17/18
to BeagleBoard
OK, looks like pru_ecap mode was removed from the .dtbo as an option for this pin - PWM is not what you want if you want to use the pru1 ecap device as a PWM generator - you need mode 3, which is no longer a valid option. Time to downgrade again to 8.6 :( Why can't these options stay when the universal overlays get updated?