Difference between the console image and the IoT image

Luther Goh Lu Feng

Feb 28, 2017, 4:15:04 AM2/28/17
to BeagleBoard
I attempted to find a minimal console image and found the IoT image on the latest firmware images page[1]. Subsequently, I discovered a console image[2]. Please correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that the console image is even more striped down the the IoT image.

Questions:
- Is there a reason why the console image isn't listed at [1] and [3]?
- Is it appropriate for me to build my own custom image off the console image in order to have a minimal footprint?
- Why isn't there a "stable" release of the console image?
- What are the key differences between the IoT image and the console image.

Thanks!

[1] https://beagleboard.org/latest-images
[2] http://elinux.org/Beagleboard:BeagleBoneBlack_Debian#Jessie_Snapshot_console
[3] https://debian.beagleboard.org/images/

Luther Goh Lu Feng

Feb 28, 2017, 4:26:01 AM2/28/17
to BeagleBoard
I also found this barefs and I am curious if that is relevant to me as well
https://eewiki.net/display/linuxonarm/BeagleBone+Black#BeagleBoneBlack-RootFileSystem(smallflash)

Graham

Feb 28, 2017, 2:43:08 PM2/28/17
to BeagleBoard, elf...@yahoo.com
Luther:

Take these as general answers, the people who build the images would have to answer detailed questions, about exactly what is included in each type of image.

The standard image has everything in it to drive a local display screen via the HDMI or LCD connections, and multiple application and language support.
It fills most of a 4 GB memory space.

The IoT image is intended for applications that do not drive a local display screen, but include all other applications and language support of the standard image.
It expects to interact with the outside world via Ethernet, or Ethernet over USB or WiFi.
The IoT image is about half the size of the standard image.

The console image is a minimum implementation, but with SSH and local console command-line support.
It is about one fourth the size of the standard image.
If you are doing a focused application, and are comfortable using the command-line you can easily add almost any required application or language support using apt-get.
This will get you a much smaller focused application.

I would expect that the console image of the same release date as a full image release would be considered a stable or "release" version of the console image.

--- Graham

===

Luther Goh Lu Feng

Mar 16, 2017, 3:42:08 AM3/16/17
to BeagleBoard, elf...@yahoo.com
A few weeks ago, I was using the image I found at https://rcn-ee.com/rootfs/bb.org/testing/2017-02-12/

Today, I found that the image has disappeared, which was not totally unexpected. Since it is supposed to be a snapshot. My question: is there a stable console image that we can refer to that won't disappear the next day that we try to download it? Thanks.

--Luther

Greg

Mar 16, 2017, 7:54:37 AM3/16/17
to BeagleBoard, elf...@yahoo.com
The console image is minimalist.  It doesn't have application software like servers already installed.  This is good if you are developing a board for some security application where the "attack surface" should be minimalized.

You will find that you need to install basic stuff like git.  Console is not the best starting place for a beginner.  Go with the IOT.

Luther Goh Lu Feng

Mar 16, 2017, 9:22:01 AM3/16/17
to Greg, BeagleBoard
The precise reason why I wish to use the console image is because I needed the small footprint to minimise the attack interface. I have built up my own BBB image on top of the console image. The IoT image does not meet my requirements as it requires substantial effort to strip down.

Does anybody have any idea if there are stable releases of the console image, or are there just periodic snapshots?

--Luther

Robert Nelson

Mar 16, 2017, 9:42:40 AM3/16/17
to Beagle Board
On Thu, Mar 16, 2017 at 8:21 AM, 'Luther Goh Lu Feng' via BeagleBoard
<beagl...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
> The precise reason why I wish to use the console image is because I needed the small footprint to minimise the attack interface. I have built up my own BBB image on top of the console image. The IoT image does not meet my requirements as it requires substantial effort to strip down.
>
> Does anybody have any idea if there are stable releases of the console image, or are there just periodic snapshots?

All the snapshots are weekly..

i only tag them on:

http://elinux.org/Beagleboard:BeagleBoneBlack_Debian#Debian_Image_Testing_Snapshots

when i have time to test them..

Grab sunday's

https://rcn-ee.net/rootfs/bb.org/testing/2017-03-12/console/

ps, as far as attack interface, root ssh is disabled now .;)

Robert Nelson
https://rcn-ee.com/

Luther Goh Lu Feng

Mar 16, 2017, 10:03:37 AM3/16/17
to BeagleBoard
Thanks for the clarification Robert. Definitely want to give the snapshot for 2017-03-133 a spin and see if my customisation still works.

Was baffled that the bone console image isnt listed on the main site[1]. Is there a reason for that? Am happy to help send a pull request if the site is on a github repo :)

[1] https://beagleboard.org/latest-images

Luther Goh Lu Feng

Mar 18, 2017, 1:18:35 AM3/18/17
to BeagleBoard
On that note, I am also wondering if the non listing of the console image on the website makes the image less official and less supported than the other "stable" images listed at https://beagleboard.org/latest-images

--Luther

Graham

Mar 18, 2017, 10:49:46 AM3/18/17
to BeagleBoard
Luther:

Should you want the reduced "Console" version of the latest "release" version of Debian 8.6

Robert has convenient saved them at

The one with "blank" in the name is the flasher version.
BBB-blank-debian-8.6-console-armhf-2016-11-06-2gb.img.xz

The other one is the uSD resident version.
bone-debian-8.6-console-armhf-2016-11-06-2gb.img.xz

By editing the  boot/uEnv.txt file you can make either do the job of the other.

--- Graham

==

Luther Goh Lu Feng

Mar 18, 2017, 11:09:07 PM3/18/17
to BeagleBoard
Thanks for sharing. I just discovered that the latest console image on that domain is https://debian.beagleboard.org/images/rcn-ee.net/rootfs/bb.org/testing/2017-02-26/console/. I assume I should try that instead of https://debian.beagleboard.org/images/rcn-ee.net/rootfs/bb.org/testing/2016-11-06/console/

When does debian.beagleboard.org get updated to list https://rcn-ee.net/rootfs/bb.org/testing/2017-03-12/console/? Is there a criteria for that too?

--Luther

Graham Haddock

Mar 18, 2017, 11:29:55 PM3/18/17
to BeagleBoard
If you want the latest "release" version, use the 11-06 version, as referenced on

I told you where the "console version" corresponding to that "release" version was.

==

If you are comfortable using a "testing" version, then I would only use the ones that
were listed on

There are other intermediate builds that may or may not have completed testing.

--- Graham

==

Luther Goh Lu Feng

Mar 19, 2017, 8:38:57 AM3/19/17
to BeagleBoard
Thanks for the clarity. I did not catch that point earlier about the latest console "release" version. I may have missed it but there doesn't seemed to be an easy way to find the latest console "release" version based on 11-06 if I hadnt posted here. I did not seem to find the direct link at https://beagleboard.org/latest-images. Is there any reason for that?

--Luther
To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an email to beagleboard...@googlegroups.com.

Graham Haddock

Mar 19, 2017, 10:05:57 AM3/19/17
to BeagleBoard
Luther:

I have no explanation for that.

Only the most universal, uSD resident version is posted for the 'release' versions.

I personally find the console version is the most useful for building much smaller custom applications.

--- Graham

==

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/ed199d86-d6ac-4e67-a4cb-dbe12c484a31%40googlegroups.com.