Announcing $25 PocketBeagle

Jason Kridner

Sep 21, 2017, 11:35:38 AM9/21/17
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
https://beagleboard.org/pocket

Trying to get a few things documented at https://github.com/beagleboard/pocketbeagle/wiki/FAQ, so feel free to start throwing out questions here, on IRC or on the github site.

--

William Hermans

Sep 21, 2017, 12:42:15 PM9/21/17
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
The board is bootble / usable right now ? The FAQ could be taken both ways. e.g. because of the board overlay file.

Andrew Kirch

Sep 21, 2017, 12:46:57 PM9/21/17
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Jason,

Is that a beaglebone in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?

I'll be ordering one shortly!

Andrew

Robert Nelson

Sep 21, 2017, 1:18:50 PM9/21/17
to Beagle Board
On Thu, Sep 21, 2017 at 11:41 AM, William Hermans <yyr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The board is bootble / usable right now ? The FAQ could be taken both ways.
> e.g. because of the board overlay file.

https://rcn-ee.net/rootfs/bb.org/testing/2017-09-19/stretch-iot/bone-debian-9.1-iot-armhf-2017-09-19-4gb.img.xz

U-Boot SPL 2017.09-00003-g02f3fd3962 (Sep 20 2017 - 14:09:02)
Trying to boot from MMC1

U-Boot 2017.09-00003-g02f3fd3962 (Sep 20 2017 - 14:09:02 -0500)

CPU : AM335X-GP rev 2.1
I2C: ready
DRAM: 512 MiB
No match for driver 'omap_hsmmc'
No match for driver 'omap_hsmmc'
Some drivers were not found
Reset Source: Power-on reset has occurred.
MMC: OMAP SD/MMC: 0, OMAP SD/MMC: 1
Using default environment

Model: BeagleBoard.org PocketBeagle
<ethaddr> not set. Validating first E-fuse MAC
Net: eth0: RGMII MODE
Could not get PHY for cpsw: addr 0
cpsw
Press SPACE to abort autoboot in 2 seconds
board_name=[A335PBGL] ...
switch to partitions #0, OK
mmc0 is current device
SD/MMC found on device 0
** Bad device 0:2 0x82000000 **
** Bad device 0:2 0x82000000 **
switch to partitions #0, OK
mmc0 is current device
Scanning mmc 0:1...
gpio: pin 56 (gpio 56) value is 0
gpio: pin 55 (gpio 55) value is 0
gpio: pin 54 (gpio 54) value is 0
gpio: pin 53 (gpio 53) value is 1
switch to partitions #0, OK
mmc0 is current device
gpio: pin 54 (gpio 54) value is 1
Checking for: /uEnv.txt ...
Checking for: /boot.scr ...
Checking for: /boot/boot.scr ...
Checking for: /boot/uEnv.txt ...
gpio: pin 55 (gpio 55) value is 1
2595 bytes read in 27 ms (93.8 KiB/s)
Loaded environment from /boot/uEnv.txt
Checking if uname_r is set in /boot/uEnv.txt...
gpio: pin 56 (gpio 56) value is 1
Running uname_boot ...
8665976 bytes read in 572 ms (14.4 MiB/s)
71821 bytes read in 145 ms (483.4 KiB/s)
uboot_overlays: add [enable_uboot_overlays=1] to /boot/uEnv.txt to enable...
5514927 bytes read in 368 ms (14.3 MiB/s)
debug: [console=ttyO0,115200n8 root=/dev/mmcblk0p1 ro rootfstype=ext4
rootwait coherent_pool=1M net.ifnames=0 quiet] ...
debug: [bootz 0x82000000 0x88080000:5426af 0x88000000] ...
## Flattened Device Tree blob at 88000000
Booting using the fdt blob at 0x88000000

Starting kernel ...

[ 0.001144] clocksource_probe: no matching clocksources found
[ 2.118518] wkup_m3_ipc 44e11324.wkup_m3_ipc: could not get rproc handle
[ 2.227684] omap_voltage_late_init: Voltage driver support not added
[ 2.238761] PM: Cannot get wkup_m3_ipc handle
[ 2.776365] musb-hdrc musb-hdrc.1.auto: VBUS_ERROR in a_wait_vrise
(80, <SessEnd), retry #3, port1 0008010c

Debian GNU/Linux 9 beaglebone ttyS0

BeagleBoard.org Debian Image 2017-09-19

Support/FAQ: http://elinux.org/Beagleboard:BeagleBoneBlack_Debian

default username:password is [debian:temppwd]

beaglebone login:

Robert Nelson
https://rcn-ee.com/

William Hermans

Sep 21, 2017, 1:30:52 PM9/21/17
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Robert. So pretty much still a work in progress I take it ?

Robert Nelson

Sep 21, 2017, 1:43:10 PM9/21/17
to Beagle Board
On Thu, Sep 21, 2017 at 12:30 PM, William Hermans <yyr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks Robert. So pretty much still a work in progress I take it ?

Works out of the box.. With any "2017-09-19" or later images...

William Hermans

Sep 21, 2017, 1:44:34 PM9/21/17
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Ok, cool, thanks Robert.

Mark Grosen

Sep 21, 2017, 4:09:01 PM9/21/17
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Looks great! Any recommendations for TCP/IP connectivity, wired or wireless?

Robert Nelson

Sep 21, 2017, 4:16:13 PM9/21/17
to Beagle Board
On Thu, Sep 21, 2017 at 3:08 PM, Mark Grosen <ma...@grosen.org> wrote:
> Looks great! Any recommendations for TCP/IP connectivity, wired or wireless?

https://shop.mikroe.com/click?type*=ethernet

https://shop.mikroe.com/click?type*=wi-fi

Graham

Sep 21, 2017, 9:18:39 PM9/21/17
to BeagleBoard
Will these Mikroe Click Ethernet or WiFi boards plug in to the PocketBeagle directly?
(Assuming that you installed the female headers on the PocketBeagle.)
Or, do you need to jumper wire between the boards, or create an adaptor board to make the right connections?

--- Graham

==

Robert Nelson

Sep 21, 2017, 9:43:16 PM9/21/17
to Beagle Board
On Thu, Sep 21, 2017 at 8:18 PM, Graham <gra...@flex-radio.com> wrote:
> Will these Mikroe Click Ethernet or WiFi boards plug in to the PocketBeagle
> directly?
> (Assuming that you installed the female headers on the PocketBeagle.)
> Or, do you need to jumper wire between the boards, or create an adaptor
> board to make the right connections?

Yes, "assuming" you've also told u-boot to load the overlay, (which i
still need to write and push out to bb.org-overlays)...

robert....@gmail.com

Sep 21, 2017, 10:26:28 PM9/21/17
to BeagleBoard
Awesome looking device, just placed my order at Arrow.

Robert Nelson

Sep 22, 2017, 10:16:16 AM9/22/17
to Beagle Board
Initial images are now up:

https://rcn-ee.net/rootfs/bb.org/testing/2017-09-21/

(anything labeled "bone" after 2017-09-21)

For Ubuntu:

http://elinux.org/BeagleBoardUbuntu#All_BeagleBone_Varients_and_PocketBeagle

Console is on T0 Rx/Tx by default

On powerup (remember to hit the pwr button), you can ssh/serial in
over the usb port.

Some spare 8 pin arduino headers and this usb-uart adapter work great:

https://shop.mikroe.com/usb-uart-click

sa_Penguin

Sep 22, 2017, 8:25:38 PM9/22/17
to BeagleBoard
Missing from the FAQ: What are the minimum power supply requirements?

Looking at the board, there's no external power plug so I'm assuming everything comes via USB.
USB supplies have limits, so before I go making additions that draw 2.5A it would help to know if my 2.6A supply is good enough.
[If the the PocketBeagle needs more than 0.1A, the answer would be "no"]

Graham

Sep 22, 2017, 9:14:02 PM9/22/17
to BeagleBoard
Who's idea was it to describe it as ECCN  5A002.a.1, so that it is export controlled?

And I have to fill out an end use declaration before Mouser will sell it to me?

So much for a quick impulse buy from Mouser.

This does not sound like a good idea for something that is supposed to compete with the Raspberry Pi Zero.

--- Graham

"""

Graham

Sep 23, 2017, 10:47:24 AM9/23/17
to BeagleBoard
(Mouser) Customer End-User Certificate

To continue processing your order, this form must be completed, signed and returned to our Export Department. Please complete and email to exp...@mouser.com or Fax to +1(817) 459-5168. Please note that incomplete or illegible information can delay your order.

Company or Individual Information
(REDACTED)

1. Have you or has your company ever been convicted of violating U.S. Export Laws and Regulation?  If Yes, provide details below.

2. Are you or is your company currently listed on the Denied Person List, Unverified List or Entity List of the Bureau of Industry and Security, Department of Commerce?

3. Are you or is your company currently listed on the Debar List of the Directorate of Defense Trade Controls, U.S. State Department?

4. Are you or is your company currently listed on the Specially Designated Nationals List of the Office of Foreign Controls, U.S. Treasury Department?

5. Are you or your company acting on behalf of any foreign government or your own government? Are you a commercial firm (including its subsidiary and parent firms, and other subsidiaries of the same parent) that is wholly owned by, controlled by, or acting on behalf of any foreign government, including your own government?

Specify the End Use for this product:

What is the Ultimate Destination of this product?

6. ENC License Exception Statement Applies to Category 5 Only: Mouser Electronics hereby notifies the Buyer that products distributed by Mouser under the Encryption Commodities and Software (ENC) license exception are subject to section 740.17 paragraph (a)(1) of the Export Administration Regulations (EAR) of the United States of America.  Which further stipulates that any encryption item produced or developed with an item exported or re-exported under paragraph (a)(1) is subject to the EAR and requires review and authorization before any sale or transfer outside of the private sector end-user that developed it.  Further Buyer certifies that end-use is for internal “development” or “production” of new products.

By signing this document the person listed below acknowledges and accepts the restrictions described in section 740.17 paragraph (a)(1) of the Export Administration Regulations (EAR) of the United States of America.

Signature of person authorized to sign on behalf of the company.
(REDACTED)

==

Graham

Sep 23, 2017, 1:01:35 PM9/23/17
to BeagleBoard
And this is just to get it shipped from Ft. Worth, Texas,  to a US Citizen in Austin, Texas.

Just think what it will be like to get one outside of the U.S.

--- Graham

==

Robert Nelson

Sep 23, 2017, 1:24:58 PM9/23/17
to Beagle Board
By from digikey.😉

Eric Keller

Sep 23, 2017, 9:52:26 PM9/23/17
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
This happens at Mouser every time there is a new 'bone.  It gets sorted eventually.

acheesehead

John Syne

Sep 24, 2017, 5:50:22 PM9/24/17
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
I ordered mine from Digikey on Sept 21st and it arrived Sept 23rd. Product is amazingly small and looks beautiful. I also like the plastic packaging. This is really a low cost BeagleBone Module. With this module, Developers can now make their own hardware without the need for fine pitch PCB layout skills.

Regards,
John

j-he...@kp-corp.com

Sep 25, 2017, 5:23:47 PM9/25/17
to BeagleBoard
Any chance the RGB interface will still work over the headers?  I realize (and appreciate) that the hdmi is gone but would like to use this for a video source application where we had been using the Beaglebone Black.

BR,

James H.

Mikester

Sep 26, 2017, 2:56:40 PM9/26/17
to BeagleBoard
Out of the box, plugging the PB into a USB port a single blue LED turns on and nothing shows up on any PC connected to it.

Is there an OS pre-installed or do I have to use an image on microSD card to boot?
Will the USB show up as a serial device or do I have to hard wire the RX and TX pins to a USB TTL-232R-3V3 converter?
Can I use an OTG Micro USB adapter to plug in a USB ethernet device?

Robert Nelson

Sep 26, 2017, 3:07:17 PM9/26/17
to Beagle Board, mikes...@gmail.com
On Tue, Sep 26, 2017 at 1:56 PM, Mikester <mikes...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Out of the box, plugging the PB into a USB port a single blue LED turns on
> and nothing shows up on any PC connected to it.
>
> Is there an OS pre-installed or do I have to use an image on microSD card to
> boot?

Nope, it's up to "you"...

Here's a fresh build:

https://rcn-ee.net/rootfs/bb.org/testing/2017-09-26/stretch-iot/bone-debian-9.1-iot-armhf-2017-09-26-4gb.img.xz

> Will the USB show up as a serial device or do I have to hard wire the RX and
> TX pins to a USB TTL-232R-3V3 converter?

Over the usb port, a usb ethernet and usb serial port will show up..

> Can I use an OTG Micro USB adapter to plug in a USB ethernet device?

I don't have that configured yet..

Jason Kridner

Sep 27, 2017, 5:01:09 PM9/27/17
to beagl...@googlegroups.com

On Sep 25, 2017, at 3:31 PM, j-he...@kp-corp.com wrote:

Any chance the RGB interface will still work over the headers?

No. USB and SPI are the best video/display options---or a custom PRU interface like LEDscape.

On Thursday, September 21, 2017 at 10:35:38 AM UTC-5, Jason Kridner wrote:
https://beagleboard.org/pocket

Trying to get a few things documented at https://github.com/beagleboard/pocketbeagle/wiki/FAQ, so feel free to start throwing out questions here, on IRC or on the github site.

Jason Kridner

Sep 27, 2017, 5:14:49 PM9/27/17
to beagl...@googlegroups.com, mikes...@gmail.com

> On Sep 26, 2017, at 3:06 PM, Robert Nelson <robert...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Sep 26, 2017 at 1:56 PM, Mikester <mikes...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Out of the box, plugging the PB into a USB port a single blue LED turns on
>> and nothing shows up on any PC connected to it.
>>
>> Is there an OS pre-installed or do I have to use an image on microSD card to
>> boot?
>
> Nope, it's up to "you"...
>
> Here's a fresh build:
>
> https://rcn-ee.net/rootfs/bb.org/testing/2017-09-26/stretch-iot/bone-debian-9.1-iot-armhf-2017-09-26-4gb.img.xz

In addition to microSD, the SPI0, UART0 and USB0 interfaces are all boot sources. The node-beagle-boot and BeagleBoot projects will eventually work with PocketBeagle and could boot ramdisk images. They will also expose the device as USB flash storage with a microSD card inserted.

>> Will the USB show up as a serial device or do I have to hard wire the RX and
>> TX pins to a USB TTL-232R-3V3 converter?
>
> Over the usb port, a usb ethernet and usb serial port will show up..
>
>> Can I use an OTG Micro USB adapter to plug in a USB ethernet device?
>
> I don't have that configured yet..

I've done (USB WiFi) it by providing 5V into the USB VIN pin on the expansion headers and a micro-type-B to female-type-A cable. I also used the USB on the expansion pins as a USB host or client. For USB1 on the expansion header, you need to set the role with a change in the device tree as best I could get to work.

> Regards,
>
> --
> Robert Nelson
> https://rcn-ee.com/

ahbus...@gmail.com

Sep 29, 2017, 8:03:12 AM9/29/17
to BeagleBoard

I ordered a pocket.  But I have a question with out the internet link how do you add software to the pocket after it's up and running?

Thanks  Andy

Graham Haddock

Sep 29, 2017, 8:55:17 AM9/29/17
to BeagleBoard
You use the "USB-tether-gadget", which, when your USB cable is connected to a Windows host computer, allows you to bridge and share the Ethernet port on the Windows host.

I have it working on Windows 10.

See

https://www.digikey.com/en/maker/blogs/how-to-connect-a-beaglebone-black-to-the-internet-using-usb/cdf66181b3a5436e9ad730e4ed4cf9ee

The only difference I found was that with the new security enforcements on the Beagle, you need to do something like

 sudo nano /etc/resolv.conf

to add "nameserver 8.8.8.8" to the resolv.conf file, instead of the echo... command in the article.

The edits in the beagle are not persistent, so need to be repeated every time you reboot.

--- Graham

On Thu, Sep 28, 2017 at 11:09 PM, <ahbus...@gmail.com> wrote:

I ordered a pocket.  But I have a question with out the internet link how do you add software to the pocket after it's up and running?

Thanks  Andy

Jason Kridner

Sep 29, 2017, 12:24:05 PM9/29/17
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Sep 29, 2017 at 8:55 AM Graham Haddock <gra...@flexradio.com> wrote:
[...]

Please help review and augment this newly added entry to the FAQ:

Thanks  Andy

ahbus...@gmail.com

Oct 1, 2017, 9:27:00 AM10/1/17
to BeagleBoard
I followed the steps including going to the maker.io on digikey.  I have logged into the pocket but not under root that didn't seem to work.  I didn't have the password.  But I did log in under debian.  But I'm having trouble getting the pocket to see the internet.  no ping.  I think the instruction maybe for windows 7.  I'm using 10.  When I change the properties on the wifi it looks a little different but I did find the sharing. and I set the IPm adress and DNS address.

And ping google.com did not work

I"m confused.

robert....@gmail.com

Oct 2, 2017, 10:22:11 AM10/2/17
to BeagleBoard
For tethering under a Linux host, these instructions worked well for me -> http://jpdelacroix.com/tutorials/sharing-internet-beaglebone-black.html

Alex Bagehot

Oct 2, 2017, 11:21:10 AM10/2/17
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Sep 29, 2017 at 1:55 PM, Graham Haddock <gra...@flexradio.com> wrote:
You use the "USB-tether-gadget", which, when your USB cable is connected to a Windows host computer, allows you to bridge and share the Ethernet port on the Windows host.

I have it working on Windows 10.

See

https://www.digikey.com/en/maker/blogs/how-to-connect-a-beaglebone-black-to-the-internet-using-usb/cdf66181b3a5436e9ad730e4ed4cf9ee

The only difference I found was that with the new security enforcements on the Beagle, you need to do something like

 sudo nano /etc/resolv.conf

to add "nameserver 8.8.8.8" to the resolv.conf file, instead of the echo... command in the article.

You may also be able to use sudo tee -a

echo "nameserver 8.8.8.8" |sudo tee -a /etc/resolv.conf

Thanks,
Alex

The edits in the beagle are not persistent, so need to be repeated every time you reboot.

--- Graham

On Thu, Sep 28, 2017 at 11:09 PM, <ahbus...@gmail.com> wrote:

I ordered a pocket.  But I have a question with out the internet link how do you add software to the pocket after it's up and running?

Thanks  Andy

Andy Bushnell

Oct 2, 2017, 3:26:35 PM10/2/17
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Thanks! I'll give it a try.

Andy Bushnell

Oct 3, 2017, 8:23:11 AM10/3/17
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
That didn't work.  But I noticed that there is redirection (is that what you call it) for the file resolv.conf.  it linkis to /run/connman/resolv.conf  there is also a  folder in /etc that is called resolv.conf. in the folder there is update.d and update-libc.d.

I looked in the resolv.conf file with my editor and it has the "namespace 8.8.8.8" in the file.  I assume it's supposed to have the quotes

Andy

Graham Haddock

Oct 3, 2017, 8:55:47 AM10/3/17
to BeagleBoard

Andy Bushnell

Oct 3, 2017, 9:19:07 PM10/3/17
to beagl...@googlegroups.com

Graham

Oct 3, 2017, 10:58:51 PM10/3/17
to BeagleBoard
Andy:

The following is an outline of what to do to connect a PocketBeagle to the internet via the USB cable to a Windows 10 desktop which is connected to the Internet via hardwire Ethernet.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ethernet over USB Tether Gadget
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This is to connect a PocketBeagle to the Internet through the USB connection to a Windows 10 desktop, which is connected by hardwire Ethernet to the Internet.

I used 'Etcher' to load a fresh copy of the latest 'stretch' version of Debian 9.1 onto the Pocketbone.
bone-debian-9.1-iot-armhf-2017-10-01-4gb.img

Plug the PocketBeagle into an open USB port on your Windows 10 desktop

The four LEDs should start blinking, and after about a minute or so, a new USB serial device should appear in Device Manager\Ports(COM&LPT), and a new Remote NDIS Compatible Device should appear in Device Manager\Network Adaptors

Also, a new Ethernet interface will appear in Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network Connections.
It will be described as "Unidentified Network", Remote NDIS Compatible Device

Use Putty to connect to the new COM port
log into the PocketBeagle

now type
sudo /sbin/route add default gw 192.168.7.1

Now, on the Windows 10 desktop,
go to and open your primary Ethernet interface:   Ethernet\Properties\Sharing\
Check the two sharing boxes.
Enter the name of the new NDIS Device interface into the box. [In my case it was Ethernet 2 ]
Click 'OK' and exit the interface box

Now open the Unidentified Network\NDIS Device interface\Properties\Internet Protocol Version 4\Properties
Click 'Use the following IP address'
Enter 192.168.7.1 as the IP address
Enter 255.255.255.0 as the Subnet Mask

Click 'Use the following DNS server addresses'
Enter 8.8.8.8 as the Preferred DNS server.
Click 'OK' and 'Close' to exit

Now go to the PocketBeagle command line on Putty
sudo nano /etc/resolv.conf
down-arrow to get past the comment line
enter 'nameserver 8.8.8.8'       [without the quotes]
enter <return>
enter <control-X>, then 'Y', <return> to exit    [without the quotes]

The Ethernet tether gadget should be operational.
To test, type 'ping google.com' in the command line. [without the quotes]
It should run and see the ping replies.
type <control-c> to abort.

You should now have internet access and can
sudo apt-get update

The two entries in the PockBeagle are not persistent, so after any reboot,
you will have to repeat the two entries in the PocketBeagle to get the
internet tether gadget running again.

There is more information here ...

==

Wilhelm Matilainen

Oct 10, 2017, 12:11:07 AM10/10/17
to BeagleBoard
Will there be a wireless version of the PocketBeagle?
It is like the Raspberry Pi Zero. The wireless connectivity was lacking, so now they have the Raspberry Pi Zero W.

Robert Nelson

Oct 10, 2017, 12:20:29 AM10/10/17
to Beagle Board, wilhelm.m...@gmail.com
On Mon, Oct 9, 2017 at 11:11 PM, Wilhelm Matilainen
<wilhelm.m...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Will there be a wireless version of the PocketBeagle?
> It is like the Raspberry Pi Zero. The wireless connectivity was lacking, so
> now they have the Raspberry Pi Zero W.

The PocketBeagle is now oshwa certified, so "everything" is available
for you to go spin a board with wifi.

Andy Bushnell

Oct 10, 2017, 8:33:06 PM10/10/17
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Still doesn't work.  But I noticed my image is 9/21/17.  Older than yours.  Do you think that could be the problem.  I'll give it a try.
Thanks Graham
Andy

Andy Bushnell

Oct 10, 2017, 8:39:14 PM10/10/17
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
I went back to the beagleboard.org to down load the image and it still has the one I was using?  Is there another place I should look?

Thanks
Andy

Robert Nelson

Oct 10, 2017, 9:00:46 PM10/10/17
On Tue, Oct 10, 2017 at 7:39 PM, Andy Bushnell <ahbus...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I went back to the beagleboard.org to down load the image and it still has
> the one I was using? Is there another place I should look?

Andy, use:

https://rcn-ee.net/rootfs/bb.org/testing/2017-10-10/stretch-iot/bone-debian-9.2-iot-armhf-2017-10-10-4gb.img.xz

Use etcher.io to write it to a sd card:

https://etcher.io/

Jason Kridner

Oct 11, 2017, 2:34:00 PM10/11/17
to beagl...@googlegroups.com, Andy Bushnell
Robert,

Can you add the .bmap file?

Regards,
Jason

Robert Nelson

Oct 11, 2017, 2:44:53 PM10/11/17
to Beagle Board, Andy Bushnell
On Wed, Oct 11, 2017 at 1:33 PM, Jason Kridner
<jason....@hangerhead.com> wrote:
> Robert,
>
> Can you add the .bmap file?

Oh i had stopped generating those by default, i'll quickly add one..

I've completely switched to using etcher's command line version..

Robert Nelson

Oct 11, 2017, 2:48:25 PM10/11/17
On Wed, Oct 11, 2017 at 1:43 PM, Robert Nelson <robert...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 11, 2017 at 1:33 PM, Jason Kridner
> <jason....@hangerhead.com> wrote:
>> Robert,
>>
>> Can you add the .bmap file?
>
> Oh i had stopped generating those by default, i'll quickly add one..
>
> I've completely switched to using etcher's command line version..

Okay bmap is now uploaded:

https://rcn-ee.net/rootfs/bb.org/testing/2017-10-10/stretch-iot/

Jason Kridner

Oct 11, 2017, 2:52:46 PM10/11/17
<jason....@hangerhead.com> wrote:
> Robert,
>
> Can you add the .bmap file?

Oh i had stopped generating those by default, i'll quickly add one..

I've completely switched to using etcher's command line version..

k. I can stop providing it on latest-images as well. I've just been trying to be consistent on that page.

Robert Nelson
https://rcn-ee.com/

Jason Kridner

Oct 11, 2017, 3:03:56 PM10/11/17
to beagl...@googlegroups.com, Andy Bushnell
https://beagleboard.org/latest-images/ is up without the .bmap. I'll add it this time and it is up to you if you generate it in the future.

William Hermans

Oct 11, 2017, 4:32:48 PM10/11/17
to beagl...@googlegroups.com, Robert Nelson

<jason....@hangerhead.com> wrote:
> Robert,
>
> Can you add the .bmap file?

Oh i had stopped generating those by default, i'll quickly add one..

I've completely switched to using etcher's command line version..

It's that fast ?

Robert Nelson

Oct 11, 2017, 4:40:14 PM10/11/17
to William Hermans, Beagle Board
Pretty fast:

https://etcher.io/cli/

$ time sudo /opt/etcher-cli/etcher -d /dev/sdf
bone-debian-9.2-iot-armhf-2017-10-10-4gb.img.xz
[sudo] password for voodoo:
? This will erase the selected drive. Are you sure? Yes
Flashing [========================] 100% eta 0s
Validating [========================] 100% eta 0s
bone-debian-9.2-iot-armhf-2017-10-10-4gb.img.xz was successfully
written to Multi-Reader -3 (/dev/sdf)
Checksum: 59b594de

real 2m27.623s
user 1m47.814s
sys 0m5.694s

sfuga...@gmail.com

Oct 19, 2017, 6:38:15 PM10/19/17
to BeagleBoard
Love this gadget. Just wish it had wifi. Would have made a great companion computer for Ardupilot. And,  given the proper capes, it might be a better flight controller than bbbmini. If there is enough IO exposed.

hallah...@gmail.com

Oct 20, 2017, 8:00:49 AM10/20/17
to BeagleBoard
Was thinking the same. I bet that development will start soon.

Jason Kridner

Dec 19, 2017, 12:15:37 PM12/19/17
to BeagleBoard

On Tuesday, October 3, 2017 at 10:58:51 PM UTC-4, Graham wrote:
[...]

Instead of doing this, I use 'sudo dhclient usb0' such that it updates the nameservers (/etc/resolv.conf) automatically.

For Mac/Linux, I use 'sudo dhclient usb1'.

cyril.jo...@gmail.com

Feb 15, 2018, 8:51:05 AM2/15/18
to BeagleBoard
Hello,

I'm trying to get Internet over USB working on the PocketBeagle with an Ubuntu 16.04 host, but without success.
Has anybody managed to get that working ?

Thanks!

Graham Haddock

Feb 15, 2018, 7:30:51 PM2/15/18
to BeagleBoard
It works fine on the PocketBeagle running Debian.
You do need to connect it to USB1, which is pinned out on the accessory connectors, and not USB0, which is on the micro-USB connector.
--- Graham

==

Cyril Jourdan

Feb 19, 2018, 5:44:39 AM2/19/18
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for your answer Graham.
I find this quite inconvenient to have to do that to get Internet on the board, but I'll try.
Is there a difference between usb0 and usb1 so that usb0 can't be configured to do the same thing ?

Jeremy Herbert

Feb 19, 2018, 7:06:04 AM2/19/18
to BeagleBoard
For me, the pocketbeagle shows up with an address 192.168.6.2 on usb1, but I am using the onboard micro USB connector. I'm not sure why this is different. The breakout connector is labelled on the silkscreen with USB1. I'm using the latest stretch IoT from here: https://beagleboard.org/latest-images (I downloaded it 10 minutes ago).

FWIW, I can't get forwarding to work over the USB connector. I can ping my host over USB, but I can't ping 8.8.8.8. My route looks like this:

Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use Iface
default         192.168.6.1     0.0.0.0         UG    0      0        0 usb1

But I'm using a mac, so I'm still trying to work out whats going on here. Internet sharing is enabled, but I think this uses a DHCP server so that might be messing things up.

Thanks,
Jeremy
To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an email to beagleboard...@googlegroups.com.

Jeremy Herbert

Feb 19, 2018, 7:20:22 AM2/19/18
to BeagleBoard
Murphy's law; just got it working after posting. Here are the steps for mac:

1. (mac) Enable internet sharing.
2. (pocketbeagle via serial) run the command: "sudo ifconfig usb1 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 && sudo dhclient"

voila! You can now apt-get update, etc.

Thanks,
Jeremy

cyril.jo...@gmail.com

Feb 22, 2018, 8:54:04 AM2/22/18
to BeagleBoard
I finally got Internet over USB working on the PocketBeagle using a Linux/Ubuntu host, here are the steps :

- Connect the PocketBeagle to your host simply using the onboard microUSB socket, and wait a bit for the usb interfaces to be created.
- On the linux host side, open a terminal
Check that you have the 2 usb interfaces with: $ ifconfig
they should appear with IP addresses as 192.168.7.1 and 192.168.6.1
Note the name of the interface using IP 192.168.7.1, for me it's something like enx606405******

Log in root : $ sudo su
Check whether you have IP forwarding enabled :
# cat /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
1
If you see a 1 it's already enabled otherwise if you see a 0, do :
# echo "1" > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

Then check the name of your interface that is linked to the Internet:
# route -n
and look for the name in the Iface column that has the Flags UG (Up and default Gateway), let's say it's eth0
Then modify your IP tables (replace your usb and main interface with the appropriate names found before):
# iptables --table nat --append POSTROUTING --out-interface eth0 -j MASQUERADE
# iptables --append FORWARD --in-interface enx606405****** --out-interface eth0 -j ACCEPT
# iptables --append FORWARD --in-interface eth0 --out-interface enx606405****** -m state --state RELATED,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT

- Open a new terminal and connect to your PocketBeagle with ssh, using the user name of your distrib (debian, ubuntu...) and default password "temppwd":
$ ssh deb...@192.168.7.2
and do : $ sudo /sbin/route add default gw 192.168.7.1
You can check that it worked with: $ route -n
and see this line showing that your gateway is up:

Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use Iface
0.0.0.0           192.168.7.1     0.0.0.0             UG    0         0       0     usb0
And last thing, add a nameserver line to your resolv.conf:
$ sudo bash -c 'echo "nameserver 8.8.8.8" >> /etc/resolv.conf'
You can check it was added at the end of the file with: $ cat /etc/resolv.conf

And now you should have Internet, you can ping a website and see the reply with:
$ ping www.therobotstudio.com
and you should be able to update your source list: $ sudo apt-get update

This is not permanent so you'll have to do that again if you reboot your host and PocketBeagle.
This forum topic has drifted to an "Internet over USB" discussion, maybe an Admin can split and move it ?

Hope that helps,
Cyril

Jake Pape

Sep 18, 2018, 4:30:54 PM9/18/18
to BeagleBoard
Graham:

Were you able to try this out on a Mac?

However, as I follow the steps the final result doesn't allow me to ping google.com or work with any clicks because the PocketBeagle is not connecting.

Thanks,
Jake Pape

Graham Haddock

Sep 18, 2018, 5:47:43 PM9/18/18
to BeagleBoard
No, I only connected it with the USB-tether "gadget" via a Windows 10 PC.
I also got tired of the instability of the "gadget" and moved to either SPI or USB2 interfaced wired Ethernet, both of which work well, if they are fast enough for your application.

--- Graham