How to get A gui on my beagle bone

vssabarish

Jul 17, 2012, 5:31:54 AM7/17/12
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Hi guys,
            Currently I have Ubuntu installed on my BeagleBone which I am accessing through hyperterminal. Does anyone know how to get the gui up and running in beaglebone?

--
Cheers
Sabarish VS

Robert Nelson

Jul 17, 2012, 7:54:00 AM7/17/12
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 4:31 AM, vssabarish <vssab...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi guys,
> Currently I have Ubuntu installed on my BeagleBone which I am
> accessing through hyperterminal. Does anyone know how to get the gui up and
> running in beaglebone?

There is no "the" gui... for instance for a pretty low overhead gui..

sudo apt-get install lxde lxde-core lxde-icon-theme

Beyond that there's atleast 20 other ones..

Just make sure you either, ssh -X in, using the dvi-d cape, or lcd
cape to actually use the gui..

--
Robert Nelson
http://www.rcn-ee.com/

vssabarish

Jul 17, 2012, 9:25:04 AM7/17/12
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
I used
sudo apt-get install gnome-core
to install the gnome components.Right now I am communicating with it using hyperterminal. Since the package vnc4server was not available I used x11vnc and openssh-server.

Every time I run
x11vnc -create
it tells me
The VNC desktop is:      omap:0
PORT=5900
I then use tight vnc viewer to log on:
But the screen is something like this.The new terminal does not show when I say terminal and new.Any ideas why?

Inline image 1

Any other ways that I can access my GUI. Is there something I am doing wrong here?
Untitled.png

Maxim Podbereznyy

Jul 17, 2012, 9:43:24 AM7/17/12
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
at least there are no errors :)

2012/7/17 vssabarish <vssab...@gmail.com>

-- To join: http://beagleboard.org/discuss
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to:
beagleboard...@googlegroups.com
Frequently asked questions: http://beagleboard.org/faq

Untitled.png

Desai, Vaibhav

Jul 17, 2012, 9:47:49 AM7/17/12
to beagl...@googlegroups.com

Thanks & Best Regards,
Vaibhav Desai
Texas Instruments, Inc
12500 TI Blvd, MS8638
Dallas, Texas 75243
Office - + 1 214-567-8446  |  Cell - + 1 281-781-6657

Desai, Vaibhav

Jul 17, 2012, 9:47:56 AM7/17/12
to beagl...@googlegroups.com

vssabarish

Jul 17, 2012, 9:48:01 AM7/17/12
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Yeah!!

Thats one way to look at it. But whats the point when I cant even see the terminal?
330.gif

info...@gmail.com

Oct 28, 2013, 2:36:51 AM10/28/13
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
http://blogspot.tenettech.com/?p=2888

i got the GUI working on beagleboneblack OS

regards,
Praveen Kumar

Amalinda J' Gamage

Dec 17, 2013, 7:17:40 AM12/17/13
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
has anyone here gotton a GUI working for Ubuntu?
if yes, could you post a link to the exact image you used and the GUI version. please.

Robert Nelson

Dec 17, 2013, 7:36:12 AM12/17/13
to Beagle Board
http://elinux.org/BeagleBoardUbuntu#eMMC:_BeagleBone_Black

run:
/boot/uboot/tools/ubuntu/small-lxde-desktop.sh

reboot:

Regards,

Amalinda J' Gamage

Dec 17, 2013, 7:59:34 AM12/17/13
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Dear Robest,

 I tried  sudo apt-get install lxde but not /boot/uboot/tools/ubuntu/small-lxde-desktop.sh . please advice me if I should try again.

Robert Nelson

Dec 17, 2013, 8:02:17 AM12/17/13
to Beagle Board
Well "/boot/uboot/tools/ubuntu/small-lxde-desktop.sh" is tuned to fit
in the 2Gb eMMC media..

Robert Nelson

Dec 17, 2013, 8:02:45 AM12/17/13
to Beagle Board
On Tue, Dec 17, 2013 at 7:02 AM, Robert Nelson <robert...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 17, 2013 at 6:59 AM, Amalinda J' Gamage
> <amalind...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Dear Robest,
>>
>> I tried sudo apt-get install lxde but not
>> /boot/uboot/tools/ubuntu/small-lxde-desktop.sh . please advice me if I
>> should try again.
>
> Well "/boot/uboot/tools/ubuntu/small-lxde-desktop.sh" is tuned to fit
> in the 2Gb eMMC media..

Along with actually setting up xorg.conf so video works..

Amalinda J' Gamage

Dec 17, 2013, 8:06:01 AM12/17/13
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
thank you so much. Im trying it again as you advised. meantime, could you tell me what is xorg.conf?

Robert Nelson

Dec 17, 2013, 8:10:02 AM12/17/13
to Beagle Board
Nah, you should just google it, it's been in use since the early 80's..

https://github.com/RobertCNelson/tools/blob/master/debian/small-lxde-desktop.sh#L48

Amalinda J' Gamage

Dec 17, 2013, 8:18:01 AM12/17/13
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
my god. these are so much complex things. I dont know where to start learning these. I kinda didnt even sign up for learning these when I bought the BBB. I just wanted to run Ubuntu with a desktop on it using the HDMI and have a PHP server on it.
I almost fainted after seeing that github code.

Philip Polstra

Dec 17, 2013, 8:40:41 AM12/17/13
to beagl...@googlegroups.com

Be thankful that guys like Robert are good at writing those fancy shell scripts to make it easy for the rest of us.  The script to create the microSD card is over 1700 lines the LXDE one is <100 lines but does a lot.  You can learn a lot by walking through these scripts, which is why I did so in my upcoming book.

On Dec 17, 2013 7:18 AM, "Amalinda J' Gamage" <amalind...@gmail.com> wrote:
my god. these are so much complex things. I dont know where to start learning these. I kinda didnt even sign up for learning these when I bought the BBB. I just wanted to run Ubuntu with a desktop on it using the HDMI and have a PHP server on it.
I almost fainted after seeing that github code.

Amalinda J' Gamage

Dec 17, 2013, 9:08:30 AM12/17/13
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Thank you heaps Robert.
BBB-eMMC-flasher-debian-7.2-2013-11-15.img
/boot/uboot/tools/ubuntu/small-lxde-desktop.sh
worked perfectly! May be because I ran the command without SUDO proviledges I had some fatal errors but still GUI loads fine.

However I am highly concerned as to why my previous attempts failed. I spend more than a week trying to install the following and those GUIs didnt work. Could you, if you know can, please tell me why they didnt work?
Since the EMMC wouldnt have enough storage all of them were run when Ubuntu was booted from SD card. Not from EMMC.
the folllowing are what I tried to get the GUI working. However they didnt work.

using  ubuntu-raring-13.04-armhf-3.8.13-bone20.img

sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop

Gnome 3 installation: sudo apt-get install gnome-shell

KDE see Kubuntu installation: sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop

XFCE installation: sudo apt-get install xfce4

LXDE installation: sudo apt-get install lxde

Openbox installation: sudo apt-get install openbox

DID NOT WORK and was FREEZING all the time after installations. How come only the one you recommended worked? Im confused.

danus...@gmail.com

Dec 17, 2013, 10:17:43 AM12/17/13
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
 RobertCNelson: sir you rock!!

Dhanushka Jayaweera

Dec 18, 2013, 12:26:54 AM12/18/13
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Dear Robert,
   I tried  /boot/uboot/tools/ubuntu/small-lxde-desktop.sh as you advised, and it worked.
   I couldn't find any text editors with GUIs installed in this ubuntu version. So I tried GVim, Cream, etc but whenever I run them, BBB freezes.
   Editra seems to be working so far.

   Can you help me with this?

Robert Nelson

Dec 18, 2013, 9:15:45 AM12/18/13
to Beagle Board
On Tue, Dec 17, 2013 at 11:26 PM, Dhanushka Jayaweera
<danus...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Dear Robert,
>
> I tried /boot/uboot/tools/ubuntu/small-lxde-desktop.sh as you advised,
> and it worked.
> I couldn't find any text editors with GUIs installed in this ubuntu
> version. So I tried GVim, Cream, etc but whenever I run them, BBB freezes.
> Editra seems to be working so far.
>
> Can you help me with this?

Lots of gnome related software seems to hard lock the system. Usually
it's as simple as opening gimp and clicking file -> open..

Amalinda J' Gamage

Dec 18, 2013, 9:43:58 AM12/18/13
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
indeed Robert. Worked for me. You seriously rock!!

Dhanushka Jayaweera

Dec 22, 2013, 5:51:02 AM12/22/13
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
hey Robert.

I'm using Ubuntu 13.10 and  /boot/uboot/tools/ubuntu/small-lxde-desktop.sh
as I mentioned before, some applications freeze the BBB.

For text editing - Editra works totally fine.
Have u checked any image viewers / pdf readers / video players with this?
I've tried few image viewers, they froze my BBB.

thanks a lot

Amalinda J' Gamage

Dec 22, 2013, 10:23:10 AM12/22/13
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
I have the same problem. some softwares freeze the Ubuntu GUI. Is there any criterian to chose softwares such a way the BBB doest freeze?

Robert Nelson

Dec 22, 2013, 10:26:42 AM12/22/13
to Beagle Board
anything libgtk/gnome..

Like i said in another thread... Someone needs to debug this, get a
trace right before the system goes down. Something is locking up the
core..

Dhanushka Jayaweera

Dec 22, 2013, 11:20:22 AM12/22/13
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Gerald,

well ok, I guess you meant that libgtk/gnome based apps will freeze the BBB. I'll try to use non libgtk/gnome apps.

Someone needs to debug this, get a trace right before the system goes down.
If you explain/provide a link on how to do it, I will give it a try & update here

thanks for the info.

William Hermans

Dec 23, 2013, 6:41:09 PM12/23/13
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
I doubt anyone would have time to teach you to use gdb, but that is what you need to learn how to use. -> gdb.

Quite honestly I am still learning gdb myself, and mostly from the context of programming / debugging, but as I recall it is something like gdb <program name> with maybe a command line switch or something to load the offending process / program.

William Hermans

Dec 23, 2013, 6:45:35 PM12/23/13
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Read this http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/1298

But in short and directly from the article . . .

To debug a compiled program with gdb, use the command:

$ gdb program [ core-dump ]
where program is the filename of the executable file you want to debug, and core-dump is the name of a core dump file left from an earlier attempt to run your program. By examining the core dump with gdb, you can discover where the program failed and the reason for its failure.

Robert Nelson

Dec 17, 2013, 9:38:32 AM12/17/13
to Beagle Board
The selected modesetting driver(1) and the custom xorg.conf help out..

1: https://github.com/RobertCNelson/tools/blob/master/debian/small-lxde-desktop.sh#L18

Kakarla Srinivas

Mar 8, 2018, 12:33:06 AM3/8/18
to BeagleBoard
Hi RobertCNelson  ,

I was  using debain 9.2 and 9.3 Iot image on Begale Bone Black wireless  board connected to 7 in Lcd.
On Lcd Command line is working . I want to make it Desktop GUI.
I tried your script but unable to make it Desktop GUI on the board  ( https://github.com/RobertCNelson/tools/blob/master/debian/small-lxde-desktop.sh#L18)

Please guide me or suggest .

Here is the log
debian@beaglebone:~$ uname -a
Linux beaglebone 4.4.91-ti-r133 #1 SMP Tue Oct 10 05:18:08 UTC 2017 armv7l GNU/Linux
debian@beaglebone:~$ cat /etc/debian_version
9.3
debian@beaglebone:~$ cat /etc/dogtag
BeagleBoard.org Debian Image 2017-10-10
debian@beaglebone:~$

Regards,
Sree

Kakarla Srinivas

Mar 21, 2018, 3:19:43 AM3/21/18
to BeagleBoard
Hi  ,

I want to install desktop environment on begale bone balck compiled kernel.

I tried the script file provide by you.It is not working here is the error message.
Please check the log and provide the solution.

[sudo] password for debian:
Err:1 http://repos.rcn-ee.com/debian stretch InRelease
  Temporary failure resolving 'repos.rcn-ee.com'
Err:2 http://deb.debian.org/debian stretch InRelease
  Temporary failure resolving 'deb.debian.org'
Err:3 http://deb.debian.org/debian stretch-updates InRelease
  Temporary failure resolving 'deb.debian.org'
Err:4 http://deb.debian.org/debian-security stretch/updates InRelease
  Temporary failure resolving 'deb.debian.org

I tried the below things manually,But not working for me.

we are following these steps (https://eewiki.net/display/linuxonarm/BeagleBone  ,Deboan 9.3 rootfs and kernel

am33x-v4.15 ( stable) )

sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop

Gnome 3 installation: sudo apt-get install gnome-shell

KDE see Kubuntu installation: sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop

XFCE installation: sudo apt-get install xfce4

LXDE installation: sudo apt-get install lxde

Openbox installation: sudo apt-get install openbox

Regards,
Sree

Stuart Longland

Mar 21, 2018, 3:40:50 AM3/21/18
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
On 21/03/18 17:19, Kakarla Srinivas wrote:
> Please check the log and provide the solution.

>   Temporary failure resolving 'repos.rcn-ee.com'

In other words, your BeagleBone is unable to reach your nameserver, so
doesn't know who on earth 'repos.rcn-ee.com' is. The solution is to
troubleshoot your Internet connection.

Check:
1. Physical connections, i.e. if using Ethernet, that both ends of the
Ethernet cable indicate a successfully negotiated Ethernet link. I have
no idea looking at this post what you are using whether it be Ethernet,
USB, WiFi or avian carrier, so perhaps in future you might want to
include this information.

2. IP addresses on the BeagleBone. Run `ip addr show` and see what
addresses are assigned. I'm not sure what the BeagleBone's ethernet
connection is called; but assuming it is named `eth0`, try `dhclient
eth0` if you're using DHCP or `ip addr add ${CIDR} dev eth0` for static
IP (${CIDR} is your IP address and prefix length; e.g. 192.168.255.224/24).

3. Routes, if using DHCP, that should be taken care of, but double check
with `ip route show`. If your default route is not there; try `ip route
add default via ${ROUTER_IP}`.

4. Nameserver. `cat /etc/resolv.conf` and have a look. Maybe try
running `echo nameserver 8.8.8.8 > /etc/resolv.conf` and see if you fare
better.

Stuart Longland (aka Redhatter, VK4MSL)

I haven't lost my mind...
...it's backed up on a tape somewhere.