Copy a device tree file in /sys/firmware

Sebastien Capel

Oct 15, 2016, 8:56:51 AM10/15/16
to BeagleBoard
Hello,
I'm following a tutorial to learn to use beaglebone, and to change gpio configuration for each boot...

I compile an DTBO file and i try to copy it in the following location:
/sys/firmware with the command:
sudo cp myFile.dtbo /sys/firmware
But, the system return me :
cp: cannot create regular file `/sys/firmware/myFile.dtbo`: No such file or directory
Of course my file exist ...

So i dont know what i shoud do to realise that...

Please help me! And sorry for my poor English...

Dennis Lee Bieber

Oct 15, 2016, 11:15:23 AM10/15/16
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, 15 Oct 2016 01:53:34 -0700 (PDT), Sebastien Capel
<sebastie...@gmail.com> declaimed the
following:

>Hello,
>I'm following a tutorial to learn to use beaglebone, and to change gpio

How old is that tutorial... What OS build was it based upon, and what
OS build are you running?

>configuration for each boot...
>
>I compile an DTBO file and i try to copy it in the following location:
>/sys/firmware with the command:
>*sudo cp myFile.dtbo /sys/firmware*
>But, the system return me :
>cp: cannot create regular file `/sys/firmware/myFile.dtbo`: No such file or
>directory
>Of course my file exist ...

Note that the error message is not about the file your trying to copy,
but about where you are trying to put it...

http://kilobaser.com/blog/2014-07-15-beaglebone-black-gpios
implies that overlays are stored in /lib/firmware -- not /sys/firmware. And
to activate an overlay you have to "echo" the name to the capemanager
slots.

Most of the /sys "files" are not really files, as I understand it, but
rather entries created by the kernel which really actuate code when
read/written.

{warning -- even that link is a bit out of date; current builds no longer
have a FAT partition, and Jessie uses systemd instead of the older init
system}

--
Wulfraed Dennis Lee Bieber AF6VN
wlf...@ix.netcom.com HTTP://wlfraed.home.netcom.com/

William Hermans

Oct 15, 2016, 11:20:56 AM10/15/16
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
device tree overlays go into /lib/firmware